2007 GT Shifting question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006 Thread Starter

2007 GT Shifting question

I feel like such the Rookie loser. Just bought an 07 GT and have put the first 700 miles on it. This is my first true sports car and I love it. Of all the different rides I have had the closest to anything with juice was a tie between a the '92 Maxima & 2001 Inifiniti FX35 .......but nothing like the GT. What I am having trouble with is taking off the line quickly and upshifting from 2nd to third. I Granny Shift (lifting the foot off the pedal as I depress the clutch and move into gear then back onto the gas) but I don't want to grind the heck out of my gears by Powershifting and can't seem to understand the whole Speed Shifting thing. I have had challenges from a Maxima, Lexus ES300, 3 Mustangs ('98 GT, 2000 GT and one from the '70s). What do you guys suggest as far as proper shifting and use of the gas clutch etc? ....or do I simply just need practice, practice practice and my technique is correct? Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT462007
I feel like such the Rookie loser. Just bought an 07 GT and have put the first 700 miles on it. This is my first true sports car and I love it. Of all the different rides I have had the closest to anything with juice was a tie between a the '92 Maxima & 2001 Inifiniti FX35 .......but nothing like the GT. What I am having trouble with is taking off the line quickly and upshifting from 2nd to third. I Granny Shift (lifting the foot off the pedal as I depress the clutch and move into gear then back onto the gas) but I don't want to grind the heck out of my gears by Powershifting and can't seem to understand the whole Speed Shifting thing. I have had challenges from a Maxima, Lexus ES300, 3 Mustangs ('98 GT, 2000 GT and one from the '70s). What do you guys suggest as far as proper shifting and use of the gas clutch etc? ....or do I simply just need practice, practice practice and my technique is correct? Help!
Just practice. There's no need for any other kinda shifting for daily driving or even taking off at a light. Powershifting and crud like that will just kill your transmission. Especially since you're not on a track, there's no reason to do it. When I first started on this tranny it was tough getting from 2nd to 3rd...but you learn it's fine points and you;'ll get used to it.

You could buy a Hurst shifter which shifts very quickly and a much shorter throw. But in the stock, try not to force it into 3rd, sometimes it will get stuck. Just try to shift quickly but let the stick lead the direction throw.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Practice, going from 2nd to 3rd is a crummy shift. You could get a different shifter, do a search on the forum, a few people have changed theirs.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
S197 Member

agreed..
i've been driving stick for years, but that 2-3 shift on my '05 was a *****...until i got the hurst anyway
now it's a no-brainer, it seems to draw you right into 3rd everytime
i think the stiffer bushings make the difference
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
Rookie

I just bought an 07 GT-CS and the stock shifter was quickly replaced with a Steeda Tri-ax problems solved.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks for the guidance and advice....very appreciated! Wanted to see if there was a secret sauce I was missing but nothing replaces practice. I will definitely consider upgrading as recommended once I get a few months of learning under the belt.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

I've had my car for 11 months now and I've never had a problem shifting in any gear. I don't know what the deal is, though, I've grinded a couple of times. Can't remember which gear... prolly 3rd

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

If I had to point to one thing on this car that I just don't like, it's the shifter. I could shift my '89 F-150 smoother than I can shift this car. It just seems so spongy to me, no feel. I have plans to try swapping out the bushings for urethane ones. If that doesn't work, I think I'm going to go for the Hurst shifter.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

That's funny. My boyfriend missed third yesterday and he wasn't even really trying to bang gears. He has had his 03 Cobra for 2 years and hasn't missed a gear yet.. and it's harder to shift than mine! lol It took me a little while to get used to shifting this when I was getting on it but one thing I have noticed is it seems you have to really get the RPM's up there for it to shift well. At least that's my opinion from 1st-2dn.
Very different feel from my 1998 Nissan Sentra .. that is for sure!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gened
I just bought an 07 GT-CS and the stock shifter was quickly replaced with a Steeda Tri-ax problems solved.
That's what my BF wants me to get.. personally I like the way mine feels.. his in his cobra is all notchy like and I don't like that nubby notchy feeling.. I like it being smooth.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
My problem with the shifter was not the shifting itself. To date (knock on wood), I have not missed a gear or had trouble shiftign from 2nd to 3rd, my problem was the soft shiting of the shfiter. I like a little resistence when shifting. On the stock shifter, it felt like a hot knife slicing through melted butter when sahifting. I since then have added the Saleen shiter adapter...small investment...big improvement.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
My problem with the shifter was not the shifting itself. To date (knock on wood), I have not missed a gear or had trouble shiftign from 2nd to 3rd, my problem was the soft shiting of the shfiter. I like a little resistence when shifting. On the stock shifter, it felt like a hot knife slicing through melted butter when sahifting. I since then have added the Saleen shiter adapter...small investment...big improvement.

LOL has nothing to do with shifting but you miss spelled shifting like 5 out of the 8 times you wrote shifting .. slow down my friend! lol :hihi: You make me laugh.
S197 Member

This is what the rent-a-car companies are for. And for added enjoyment, when you turn the car in, eat a lot of their free mints.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Does it come with toilet paper?

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
ha, ha, ha....okay, my typing skills need work...and apparently I am having as much of a problem spelling shifter or shifting as I did have installing the SHIFTER adapter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page