Water marks, how to get rid of? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
S197 Member

for water spots, try in a couple small locations using undilutted white vinegar. I have occasionally gotten water spots onthe paint and windows, especially if I have to wash my stang on a hot day and it air dries before I can wipe it down.

I use vinegar on water spots on my windows all the time and I have used it on stubborn water marks on my paint and it clears them right up.

1. make sure the car is cool and better yet do it in the shade or in your garage
2. poor a little vinegar on a clean towel and lightly wipe the area with the spots
3. quickly wipe the area with vinegar up with another clean slightly moistened towel.
4. check your work, if cool you will want to apply a quick shot of mequires or mothers, turtle wax premium quick detailer and wipe dry.

this has always worked for me.

Sam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have a black 05. Sun + hard water = water marks. Best thing to do after washing it is dry it in the shade or better yet in a garage. Sun usually causes water marks and spots in a min(minerals in the water help too). So unless u can dry your car in under a min, get it out of the sun. Forget coke and vinegar...you're youre just gunna do damage to the paint and remove wax, especially since the marks will juust come back when u give it another shower.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I use the Maquires NTX tech wax and car wash soap.(Good Stuff)

As stated before wash in the shade using a microfiber cloth.
Shamis with a real shamis to get most water off then redry with another quality microfiber cloth...I use this same damp cloth, to wipe the door jambs, inner doors and trunk when done

Finally very lighty dampen another clean microfiber cloth and rewipe the whole car again...it will GLOW after this step.

It sounds like alot..But I can do the full wash in under an hour..Waxing it too takes a bit longer.

DO NOT rub your black car in small circles like the karate kid with wax or wash this will cause swirl marks over time..always wipe with the "grain" as it were..lol

This system will prevent water spots no matter how hard your water...As for spots from rain water or irrigation sprinklers..I can only recommend and good coat of wax and a garage.

And yes..I do own a couple dozen Micro cloths...

BLACK on BLACK 05 Premium GT
Magnaflow catted X pipe -- Magnaflow catbacks

1967 Hardtop Restomod Project

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. I went out and bought a claybar yesterday from the local autozone, I got one made by mothers. I used it and had awesome results, took all the watermarks off. Just in time too as I get to go to a local car show this morning here in a few hours. Thanks again to everyone for your input.

2005 Ford Mustang GT *Black Sunshine*
Current Mods: head & taillight covers, red tri-bar pony floor mats, sequential tail lights, chrome skull & flame pedals, red wire covers, underhood billet caps/covers
1990 Ford Mustang LX Convertable *White Lightning*
GT Member
S197 Member

Another satisfied customer of AFM

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black06
A good polish or cleaner wax will remove the water spots. Tough ones may take a little elbow grease. I use Zaino polishes and always throw another coat of Z-2 before car shows and it takes the spots right out.
That's the ticket!! Zaino is the best at keeping water spots off the finish. The last thing I use after a good wash is Z6 detailing spray. This stuff is a force shield against hard water.
Incidentally, the coke is to remove the lime deposits from hard water, I think is the acid.

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page