Fog Lights too bright? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

Where I live even the freeways traverse through the forest so I use them almost always because they light up the sides of the road better so I can see animals that constantly run out of the forest into the road.

I occasionally get flashed and when I do I just give them a taste of the real high beam. If they want only two headlights, I'm pleased to give it to them. I've even been flashed by a local small town cop.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for using fog lites when not needed. Sounds pretty picky too me. What state was this in?

Apprentice

I do not run mine if not needed. Irritates me when idiots run them when they are not needed (i.e. clear night in heavy traffic or two lane roads with traffic or in town with traffic....Hummm...any time you really don't need them!) I do use mine in rain, fog, winter or in no traffic. I will upgrade my OEMs to a Super White type bulb to match my upgraded fog bulbs. But I try not to run them in heavy traffic or in town.

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White

S197 Member

I run fogs only (no headlamps) in the early morning and evening. I've upgraded to Silverstar 9005s and, although brighter, they are not glaring. I go to both at full dark unless I'm in traffic.
S197 Member

I have never actually been flashed in my car yet!!! But I have only had it for about a month.

I drive during the day with the fogs on, night with just the headlights!!!
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PONYCAR
Personally, I think that running foglights when they're not needed is extremely annoying. They DO blind me (especially on trucks), thank you very much. And my first thought is always of the other drivers' EGOS.

And to the insecure GT drivers... Get over it. *I* can tell us apart and promise to give you the respect you're entitled to, okay? :hihi:
nothing to do with ego. running all 4 just looks bada$$ at night, there isnt another car on the road like it.... running just the fogs = close to same effect...

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
PONY Member
S197 Member

And to the insecure GT drivers... Get over it. *I* can tell us apart and promise to give you the respect you're entitled to, okay? :hihi:[/quote]

I personally don't run them because I want people to know I'm a GT and not a V6. I simply like the way they look in the night. How many other cars have that look, none that I've seen. And they don't blind I've come across many GT's on two lane highways and have never been blinded. Maybe all the people that complain just got their eyes dialated and they shouldn't be driving anyways.

Silver '05 Premium Convertible,5 Spd Mnl,IUP, C&L CAI, Bassani Axle Backs, Predator 91 Octane Tune, Hurst Shifter, IVA-310 Alpine touch screen stereo, 10" W7's 1500W HiFonics amp MB Quartz component speakers 600W HiFonics amp.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PONYCAR
Personally, I think that running foglights when they're not needed is extremely annoying. They DO blind me (especially on trucks), thank you very much. And my first thought is always of the other drivers' EGOS.

And to the insecure GT drivers... Get over it. *I* can tell us apart and promise to give you the respect you're entitled to, okay? :hihi:
You'll geta GT.......someday.

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
S197 Member

Actually, when aimed properly, they fill in the area between where the low beams strike the road and the front bumper and eliminate shadows. The upper part of the beam is cut off by the hood. The only time I got flased was when the car across the intersection was stopped on an uphill grade which placed him lower than normal and looking directly into the fogs.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Depends on my mood? I will run them late at night in minimal traffic to help see.

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
PONY Member
S197 Member

I run then during the evenings and on our many foggy mornings...I do not get flashed. If I do, then I introduce them to the brights on the HIDs. :hihi:

But as someone else already mentioned, if they are properly aimed, they are not a problem. Same thing with a lot of people I see running the HIDs and they have them aimed way up high. I actually bothered to take the 5 minutes needed to properly aim them and have never had someone object.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogpowr
You'll geta GT.......someday.
Nope. Could have bought one this time - if I wanted to... I didn't. I chose the exact Mustang *I* wanted... Not what anyone else *thought* I wanted.

GTNOS, it may not be ego for you, but it definitely is for some.

'05 V6 Premium, Automatic, Redfire with Parchment interior. Added '06 Pony Package grille and foglights, custom rocker stripes, Peripheral Audio System for direct iPod play, window tint, chrome Pony-style power outlet cover and replaced Blue Oval spinners with Pony-design spinners. (Little changes are cool, too )

"Life without music would be a mistake." - An unknown, but very wise person
PONY Member
S197 Member

That's why they're called "fog lights" and not "driving lights." They are really only supposed to be used in inclement weather, etc. Ford should have made the bulbs a bit less intense (that would have solved the problem)...it does look like you have your "high beams" on when they're on...so you really can't blame the others coming at you for being upset.
In any event, those who use them constantly will soon be changing them out on a periodic basis and it's a bit of a PITA to replace them.

I really do think that people use them only to tell the world that they have a Mustang GT...well, if they can't figure it out by your side badges, your exhaust rumble and the then the two big exhaust pipes in the back...then, they are clueless about everything else.

Save those FOG LIGHTS for when you really need them (i.e. rain, snow, and FOG)...

2006 Mustang GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Light Graphite Leather, Auto, Shaker 500, IUP

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2011 Honda Pilot
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I've been flashed too. For on coming traffic it's the 4 lights, if the fogs were below
the main lights there would be no problems...

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Performance White
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I use my fogs only in the mornings now on my way to work.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Performance White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page