Fog Lights too bright? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
S197 Member

I'm using PIAA 9005 Super Ion Crytal. It puts out a amber light that is very good for fog or snow or rain. I've used them last winter in the mountains with almost 0 visability and they're awesome.. no glare what so ever.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneylynn1977
I drive during the day with the fogs on, night with just the headlights!!!
YAY ENTHUSIASM!!!!!!!!!!!

lol i have had the same question for a while, anyone framilliar with the california law for the FLs?

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark25
That's why they're called "fog lights" and not "driving lights." They are really only supposed to be used in inclement weather, etc. Ford should have made the bulbs a bit less intense (that would have solved the problem)...it does look like you have your "high beams" on when they're on...so you really can't blame the others coming at you for being upset.
In any event, those who use them constantly will soon be changing them out on a periodic basis and it's a bit of a PITA to replace them.

I really do think that people use them only to tell the world that they have a Mustang GT...well, if they can't figure it out by your side badges, your exhaust rumble and the then the two big exhaust pipes in the back...then, they are clueless about everything else.

Save those FOG LIGHTS for when you really need them (i.e. rain, snow, and FOG)...
It did rain today but since that doesnt happen too often, the lights seem to be just useless, and with them on it just widens the lighted field but not intensifies it. SOTF what if i want people to know i have a GT? that's like a guy in a de-badged ferrari telling some chick its a honda. wtf?

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphasagt
YAY ENTHUSIASM!!!!!!!!!!!

lol i have had the same question for a while, anyone framilliar with the california law for the FLs?
You can use em anytime you like, as long as they cannot be activated while using high beams. And no more than FOUR headlights (To include fog/driving lights) on at a time.

As for the brightness issue...it's NOT that they are so intense (The should be!!), it's that many people just haven't bothered to adjust them.

That's why Ford put an adjustment screw (Up or Down) on the bulb ass'y. If they get in to many peoples eyes...simple turn the screw and they'll point more toward the road.

I use mine all the time and I've never been flashed.
PONY Member
S197 Member

G.P. I guess you could run around with just your parking lights on and the fog lights on...that shouldn't bother anyone and then you would be using those lights...

2006 Mustang GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Light Graphite Leather, Auto, Shaker 500, IUP

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2011 Honda Pilot
S197 Member

Some people just flash when they see 4 lights, regardless of how bright they are.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinjected
Some people just flash when they see 4 lights, regardless of how bright they are.
Yup, since they are so big, they figure they must be the brights.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark25
G.P. I guess you could run around with just your parking lights on and the fog lights on...that shouldn't bother anyone and then you would be using those lights...
sure... that's practical

PONY Member
S197 Member

gphasagt, on my way to work tonight on a somewhat rural, but four lane highway (notice I didn't say freeway...hehehehe)... I decided to put the fogs on and I was rolling along 70-75 in the left lane as soon as a car would pull over and as soon as I passed them, some of them would get right behind me and turn on their high beams and begin to tailgate a bit...this happenend three times during the 25 minute ride (one I could see gave me the "bird"). And, of course, I could easily outrun most of them.

But I don't think I need that kind of hassle...anyway, I did give it try.

Bottom line: drivers may be used to the fog lights that are at the bottom of the front fascia...but in line with their normal headlights really messes them up.

2006 Mustang GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Light Graphite Leather, Auto, Shaker 500, IUP

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2011 Honda Pilot
GT Member
S197 Member

w/e screw em lol. to each is his own i guess... i think the fogs are nice, and it is legal to have four headlights in CA and two high beams, so i'll use them whenever i want regardless of what others think.<- MHO

V6 Member
S197 Member

I really like my "pony" foglights, as they're not as big as the GT ones. I prefer to think of them as "driving lights," though. Haven't had anyone flash me since I installed them a couple months ago. I notice the driving lights shine across the bumper, which lets me know they're not blinding anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang06_7.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	20002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang06_6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	20003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stang06_5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	20004  
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I have a GT!!!
Well, it's a '92.
'05-'07s don't blind me at all - with or without the fogs. A set of amber lenses would look cool, and convice fools that you don't have your brights on. Just be glad your fogs are more out of harms way than mine. I took mine off because I had a lens broken by a rock. I had this happen on my '82 GT as well. Heck, be glad you don't have crappy plastic lenses which slowly become opaque. I ALWAYS leave my brights on, and I never get flashed.
I DO get blinded by lexus rx300s, certain acuras, and especially lincoln navagators. They make me want to put my fogs back on (with 110 watt bulbs) and aim them up and left, so that I can return the "favor" when the occasion arises.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page