Dull 18" Bullitts :( - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Dull 18" Bullitts :(

I recall reading a thread about this before but couldn't find it. I only noticed this problem for the first time the last time I washed the car. My wheels don't look as bright and 'shiny' as they once did and when I run my hand across them they don't feel smooth anymore but rather they feel kinda rough. I guess I could describe it this way.. before when they were clean they felt like glass, now they feel like frosted glass, definitely not smooth.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with their 18" Bullitt wheels and what is the solution? What type of cleaner should I use?

I want them to look like they did in these pics again...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	18707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137 (Medium).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	18708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	18709  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I guess the right "Mothers" polish should do the trick and alot of elbow grease too...

In a word: CHROME!!!

It never needs polishing, just take a clean dry towel and wipe the occasionally and they are mirror bright...

D

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to Hoodlum
Well if your rims arent smooth anymore that means they are probably "pitting" either from rocks or chemicals. I have the same problem with my chrome exhaust pipe. I didnt know I needed to basically wax it to keep it looking good. A buddy of mine had bough some eagle nano wheel/rim wax to keep up with his exhaust pipes which were brushed aluminum. It didnt work on his exhaust but it works outstanding on chrome like mine. I use it evertime I wash the car and it keeps it looking great and feels smooth. I've noticed that my exhaust hasnt pitted anymore and I highly recommend the product.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to Hoodlum
Quote:
Originally Posted by discofan
I guess the right "Mothers" polish should do the trick and alot of elbow grease too...

In a word: CHROME!!!

It never needs polishing, just take a clean dry towel and wipe the occasionally and they are mirror bright...

D
Chrome needs some sort of wax coating in order to protect it from pitting and then rusting.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

The wheels aren't chrome though, they are polished aluminum. For chrome steel wool and foaming glass cleaner works amazing, just be careful not to scratch it. Unfortunately that doesn't help me as they are not chrome.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage
The wheels aren't chrome though, they are polished aluminum. For chrome steel wool and foaming glass cleaner works amazing, just be careful not to scratch it. Unfortunately that doesn't help me as they are not chrome.
I do remember that someone used a silver polish,like the kind that you would shine your silverware with...

That may work...

I think Tarnax makes such a product.. Buy it at Walgreens... D
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

try this vantage, call:

http://www.lwm.cc/

LWM is a truck / 4x4 place in Norman, Oklahoma. While it is not listed on thier site, they have a product called Xtreme Polish. I dont know who makes it or where else to get it other than at LWM. If my memory is correct it is about $20. It is for all types of wheels, including polished aluminum. It is a fine steel wool product that has the polish in it. it works great. i have used it on some of my other vehicles polished aluminum rims in the past. it will get all the oxidation, road grime, etc. off of the rims and restore the luster in the wheels. I would then suggest you go back over them with some mothers aluminum polish (or such) to perfect the finish and protect it. i know the general consenses will say NO to a steel wool product on a polished aluminum rim but i swear to you that this product works on ALL wheels and is excellent. it is a very fine steel wool and will not hurt your wheels.

if you still dont trust me, you can always "Flitz It" :hihi: actually, i have heard that the Flitz polisher is really good....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006
GT Member
5.0L Member

I have always used Neverdull to polish my aluminum, it's made by Eagle One I think. My dad also uses it to polish the aluminum parts on his airplane.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT 5-Speed - See Profile for Mods & Pics
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006
S197 Member

I thought the factory bullitts were clear powder coated. if you used the wrong polish it will damage the clear coat.
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

correct 2horseowner. just use a mild polish not a wax but something that has a little cutting power to it then wax them to a high luster...Im guessin the heat from brakes and whatever is dulling the clearcoat. It should polish right up..i have noticed my wheels arent as shinny as they use to be either. i need to get on them

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
Apprentice
S197 Member

does anybody know what ford recomends for the wheels? I am picking up my 07 GT Monday The 21st which has the polished aluminuim wheels and i want to protect them from the very begining. so many different opinions its hard for a novice like me to decied what is the best product to use. what is the best company out there, mothers, maguires??? whats the best car wax for protection and deep shine? can i wax my 07 right away or is there a period of time that must pass before i apply the first coat......of the many that im sure will be applied?

Thanks the72fins

2007 gt vista blue convert. 5 speed, 3:55 gears, UIP, 18" billets, charcole interior, gt package, JBA Axel backs, sequential turn signals, C&L CAI, with brenspeed 93 oct. tune, american muscle black out kit for all lights, roush short throw shifter, steeda underdrive pulleys, pypes off road H pipe

Future mods...... long tube headers, cam, suspension and the list goes on
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the72fins
does anybody know what ford recomends for the wheels? I am picking up my 07 GT Monday The 21st which has the polished aluminuim wheels and i want to protect them from the very begining. so many different opinions its hard for a novice like me to decied what is the best product to use. what is the best company out there, mothers, maguires??? whats the best car wax for protection and deep shine? can i wax my 07 right away or is there a period of time that must pass before i apply the first coat......of the many that im sure will be applied?

Thanks the72fins
Have you consider Zaino?? I am getting new wheels next week and I have instructed the tire company where I am getting them not to mount the tires until I treat them with Zaino polish with their accelerator. I have read in their intructions that gives a great protective coat. Especially on new wheels.. I belive in Zaino...

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA

I have a Jeep with polished Aluminum wheels and have always used NeverDull to keep them shiny. A buddy uses the Mother's power ball with great success on his aluminum rims. By the way, the factory 17" base rims are clear coated - the 18" are polished aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page