smoke smell removal? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

smoke smell removal?

I know I should not smoke in my stang ..so please dont flame me for it...so Im not going to smoke in it any more...so..my question is....any body know if there is a way to get the smell out that really works?

2006 Torch Red GT 5 speed Black Leather Shaker Hood Scoop CAI black spoiler mirror covers shorty antenna black billett fuel door mustang license plate brackets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Won't it dissipate over time if you stop smoking in the car? You could wipe down all the seats and consoles with armor-all to get rid of the left-overs of the smoke. That probably will help.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
Won't it dissipate over time if you stop smoking in the car? You could wipe down all the seats and consoles with armor-all to get rid of the left-overs of the smoke. That probably will help.
What he said, It is embedded in the upholstery and all the nooks and crannies, There are companies that will completely clean out and shampoo the inside of cars.
I remember I bought a car that had a white upholstered roof and the guy smoked all the time in it. The roof turned yellow, first thing I did was clean it with fantastik. What dripped off was gross sticky yellow crud.
Yuk.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

The one part that gets the most smoke saturated and no one thinks about is the headliner. Try spraying something like Fabreeze on it (dilute it with water because by itself it's a little overpowering too) soak it down good then vacuum it out. That should help.

And then quit smoking because it's not only bad for your car but it's bad for you too.

2005 Black GT with Red upgrade interior, fully tinted, 18's with ASA/BBS 5 spoke studded wheels, Michelin Pilots, Borla S-Type catbacks, K&N FIPK cold air injection system.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
I second the Febreeze. that stuff is awesome for eliminating smells. Also ride around with the windows down as much as you can to air it out. I'll never flame on anyone for smoking in their cars. I have never not smoked in my vehicles. It's my vehicle, my habit and anyone that doesn't like it can ride with someone else.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Any cloth in the interior will hold the smell. Eventually, after a long long time it will not be very noticeable. The Febreze helps to eliminate it. The most complete way would be to have a pro do a complete interior shampoo/cleaning especially the headliner. A pro detailer also has a "smoke bomb" that is set off in an enclosed car, after which the car has to sit, closed up, for 24 hours. The "bomb" is supposed to be very effective in neutralizing the odor.

2002 Mustang GT Convertible, auto, Mineral Grey, Dark Charcoal leather, Bullitt rims.
2007 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4, Dark Shadow Grey/Black cloth, 5.4 FFV.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
S197 Member

Put a 1/2 can of ground coffee in the car, lid off of course. Leave it in overnight or a day or two if you don't drive it every day.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
S197 Member

Ozium...use it like a bad cologne. It should do the trick for you. You can get it at anywhere.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

All True

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrickert
I know I should not smoke in my stang ..so please don't flame me for it...so I'm not going to smoke in it any more...so..my question is....any body know if there is a way to get the smell out that really works?
All that said: true but, I'll bet money the bulk of the smoke is in the filters of your car. Ever run your A/C on MAX or recirculating! When you do you you close the outside vents and recirculates the smoke filled air back through the filters over and over.

Here is my rule, never use max or recirculating when smoking. Don't use the ash tray, crack a window when you smoke and throw the butts out. If you live in a dry area put them in a plastic bottle with a screw on cap then discard properly. I just sold a car that I drove for almost 10 yrs.- smoked in it every day. The person who bought it asked me if had been smoked in? I said see for yourself. 20 years in the car business and this is probably the best thing I have learned.

If you use any of the remedies mentioned, be sure to run your a/c on MAX while fumigating. There are companies that visit the dealers who have a fog type product that works pretty good.

"Don't cuss American Cars with food in your mouth"
S197 Member

you can also try this: grab a box of fabric softener sheets (bounce, whatever)....open it up, slide it under the seat. It'll help
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinjected
Put a 1/2 can of ground coffee in the car, lid off of course. Leave it in overnight or a day or two if you don't drive it every day.
I did this in an 67 ImpalaSS that had sat for about 20 years and after a week the stink was gone.Leave the windows up when you do this.It works.Poco

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

thanks for all the info...Ive heard about the coffee idea...ill give it a try...the hard part is to quit smokeing...

2006 Torch Red GT 5 speed Black Leather Shaker Hood Scoop CAI black spoiler mirror covers shorty antenna black billett fuel door mustang license plate brackets
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrickert
thanks for all the info...Ive heard about the coffee idea...ill give it a try...the hard part is to quit smokeing...
I know what you mean...been smokin a long time
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMustang
All that said: true but, I'll bet money the bulk of the smoke is in the filters of your car. Ever run your A/C on MAX or recirculating! When you do you you close the outside vents and recirculates the smoke filled air back through the filters over and over.

Here is my rule, never use max or recirculating when smoking. Don't use the ash tray, crack a window when you smoke and throw the butts out. If you live in a dry area put them in a plastic bottle with a screw on cap then discard properly. I just sold a car that I drove for almost 10 yrs.- smoked in it every day. The person who bought it asked me if had been smoked in? I said see for yourself. 20 years in the car business and this is probably the best thing I have learned.

If you use any of the remedies mentioned, be sure to run your a/c on MAX while fumigating. There are companies that visit the dealers who have a fog type product that works pretty good.

+1 Exactly what I was going to say.

Although I really refrain from smoking in the Mustang now. Only on the occasion. And of course no one else period.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
Apprentice
S197 Member

If you put coffee grounds in your car, won't it just smell like coffee instead of smoke? I guess if you don't mind the smell of coffee that's OK. I have used Nature's Miracle solution to get rid of pet smells, and it works better than Febreeze. I think Febreeze just masks the smell, while Nature's Miracle neutralizes it.

08 Roush 427R GT Torch Red Premium
Painted Side Mirror Covers
100% Roush synthetic oil
06 V6 Vert Premium w/Pony Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page