S197 Member

Check out this article on "black boxes"

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/22/n...k-box-details/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Good thread...informative AND entertaining, with a good beat to match. I give it an 89, ****.

"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

For all we know there could be RFI's in our cars right now....even GPS, modern
cell phones have them.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Performance White

PONY Member

I knew about the box, I figure it's just one more thing out to get me-unmarked black Impalas,unmarked black trucks and airplanes above! But how accurate are they? My trip meter doesn't even work correctly! As I understand it, they only store info. from the time of the accident, not any real history. As mentioned by others, after my last accident (22 years ago) the police had it all figured out from skid marks and what not. Do the crime,pay the time,I guess.
S197 Member

Nice article, too much big brother. I can see good points and bad points to this box

one day we will see the police stopping you and plugging in a hand held device and pulling out of of your data and write you many citations...
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Those who are claiming privacy issues may be in for a surprise. I suspect if this ever makes it to court, then to the Supreme Court, it will be ruled that your speed and driving habits are subjected to the public by being on public roads (anyone with in eyesite can observe your driving habits) and hence the reasonable expectation of privacy diminishes rapidly. Similar rulings that would make this argument are things like you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy for: any odors emmiting form you or your car, the color of your car (police can take a color sample of your car without a warrant), any noise coming from you or your car, anything on your car that is in plain site, and etc. I can see my coleauges making this argument and I see the Supreme Court agreeing. The argument might go something like this: If a person drives on the public road for the public to see, then tracking his driving habits would be no different, for he is voluntarily subjecting his driving habits to the public by doing so on the public roads for all to see, similar to the examples stated.

To add further complication, the news said today that the black boxes are not even activated until the airbags are deployed. How accurate is that, I am not sure. If true, then your day to day driving habits are likely not being recorded. Furthermore, even if this box is recording everything you do, the box itself raises many questions that will be fough t over in the courts for years to come. In particular, how accurate is the box's information? How tamper proof is it? Is it possible for the box to get false or misleading information (such as will changing the wheel size will give it false information, like your speedometer)? Can it be disconnected and reconnected at will (like smog equipment)? Where is the money going to come from for the manpower to monitor every single vehicle in America? Who has access to the information? How indestructable is it (can an accident wipe it out)? These are just some of the many questions that lawyers are going to have fun fighting over.

As I have said before, things that make you go hhhmmmmm......
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatLadder26
Saw this in a previous post by Glen who at the time was a moderator for the website

Most people don't know this but.....your car most likely has a Black Box that records how you are driving, including RPM's, Distance, Speed, Braking, Emissions, etc.

Every GM currently sold and many Fords have this Data Recording Box already in your car and watching your every move. Police can already get the Data and use it against you in court.

And NOW the Government and the Insurance companies want this information downloaded. Here is a recent article Black Box Article

This is not just a rumor, so what do you all think about this?

What does your car have to say about you?
The way the recorders work is they have about 10-30 seconds of memory that is constantly cycled. It is erased when you shut off the car. If the system detects a crash, it stores the data to non-volitile memory. It does not record everything, it does not remember everything.
S197 Member

[quote=Zenmervolt]The way the recorders work is they have about 10-30 seconds of memory that is constantly cycled. It is erased when you shut off the car. If the system detects a crash, it stores the data to non-volitile memory. It does not record everything, it does not remember everything.[/quote

For now, but i am sure it will evolve over time... more information to big brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page