Regular K&N replacement filter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Regular K&N replacement filter

I picked up a regular K&N replacement filter because I noticed a performance gain in previous cars. It feels a little better but it might just be my imagination. Talking to a co-worker he said he heard there was a restrictor installed by Ford that some people have been taking out. Is this true? Am I gaining anything by putting the filter in a stock 05 GT?

I don't want to go with the CAI yet because I have other future plans for it first.

- Chad
2014 GT500 Shelby Cobra Triple Black
2017 Focus RS Stealth Gray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
before I put my K&N CAI on, had originally just replaced the stock filter with a regular K&N filter, I too thought I notice a little difference. The responiveness of the trottle was minutely better and my gas mileage increased by 2 mpg. But I only had that set up for maybe a month then I upgraded to a CAI, exhaust and a tuner.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boglin
I picked up a regular K&N replacement filter because I noticed a performance gain in previous cars. It feels a little better but it might just be my imagination. Talking to a co-worker he said he heard there was a restrictor installed by Ford that some people have been taking out. Is this true? Am I gaining anything by putting the filter in a stock 05 GT?

I don't want to go with the CAI yet because I have other future plans for it first.
I read that in the 05s there is a filter just before the MAF sensor which many people remove. by 06 it had been eliminated.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006
S197 Member

Squeeze the stock air tube where it comes out of the box. If it flexes you don't have the hydrocarbon trap - if it's solid, pull the tube off the box, grab the edge with needle nose pliers and work it past the little ridge. It's easy once you get it started.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
The HC trap was eliminated midway through the 05 model year. It's only there to recycle unburned gasoline vapors that remain in the intake on engine shutdown. If you have one, it's certainly safe to remove. It's actually quite restrictive. Some have said there's 10 hp in there, but that might be a stretch.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horseowner
Squeeze the stock air tube where it comes out of the box. If it flexes you don't have the hydrocarbon trap - if it's solid, pull the tube off the box, grab the edge with needle nose pliers and work it past the little ridge. It's easy once you get it started.
If it looks kind of like a honeycomb then I do have one. Thanks for the tip.

Errr, I should say I DID have one. Came out really easy. Thanks again.

- Chad

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
If it looks kind of like a honeycomb then I do have one. Thanks for the tip.

Errr, I should say I DID have one. Came out really easy. Thanks again.
That's the one... Did it come out in one piece?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
That's the one... Did it come out in one piece?
Yup, all in one piece. I was kind of careful so in case the dealer ever said something I could put it back. I assume they wouldn't notice since they stopped using them anyway.

- Chad

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Yup, all in one piece. I was kind of careful so in case the dealer ever said something I could put it back. I assume they wouldn't notice since they stopped using them anyway.
Not that you need to for just a K&N and HC trap delete, but have you looked into a custom tune? Even without a CAI, you could add 15-20 rwhp. Add a CAI and you could be looking at 25 or more.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've been saving for either NOS or a supercharger. Thought I'd do all that then.

- Chad

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I've been saving for either NOS or a supercharger. Thought I'd do all that then.
Sounds like a good plan... Both nitrous and supercharging are good power adders but both have their risks, especially on the all-aluminum 4.6. 5-20 can weigh in on the benefits and risks of nitrous.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yeah, NOS seems like a quick, cheap boost but I dunno. I'd much rather have a ProCharger. I think it would be worth the wait and the higher cost in the end. With the new muscle coming out in 07 & 08 it would be nice to have those extra horses.

- Chad

Can anyone tell me where the Fuel Filter is on the 05-GT? I've heard it's one of 2 places either in front of the fuel tank or between the bottom of the trunk and the fuel tank, meaning you have to drop the fuel tank to get too it. I've looked, and I don't see mine in front of the fuel tank, but can't believe Ford would be that stupid (or more money for them) by putting it between the trunk and the fuel tank. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page