Gauges above glove box - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Gauges above glove box

Iím planning on installing an engine and tran oil temp gauge in a 2006 GT. Iíve pulled the glove box and just above it seems like a good place.

Has anyone found a good place to tap into the wire loom for an ignition on (off during start and not on with accessory) as well as a place for lights?

Also, does anyone know a good place for the sensors in the block and transmission body?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twgonder
Iím planning on installing an engine and tran oil temp gauge in a 2006 GT. Iíve pulled the glove box and just above it seems like a good place.

Has anyone found a good place to tap into the wire loom for an ignition on (off during start and not on with accessory) as well as a place for lights?

Also, does anyone know a good place for the sensors in the block and transmission body?

Thanks!
Isn't that where an airbag is located?

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Why would you install gauges on the passenger side? Do you have a co-pilot? Why not install them on your driver's side A-pillar?

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
S197 Member

One Work Airbag!!!!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

two words: not gonna be able to read the gauges.

(ok thats 8 words, but my point is like 5twenty already said, why would you put guages on the passenger side? for that matter, just mount the damn things in the trunk! thats about how useful they will be to you on the passenger side. get a dual pillar pod for $64 from summit or jegs and mount them right. or you could pay 100 bucks and get the 3 guage pod that goes on top of the center of the dash) - although that looks ugly to me as well, but better than the passenger side, and peoples first words when they see your car wont be "what the f---??!!!"

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Here is where my friend put two of his gauges.

Saleen S/C, 4R70W Trans, 3:73 gears, 3200 stall PI, GT500 fuel pump, JBA Shorty headers.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Good location idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt46270
Here is where my friend put two of his gauges.

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...0/DSC06979.JPG
That is one of the better ideas I've seen. I figured it would be too hard to get them in there. Your friend care to share some tips on how it was done?

As to the other questions/comments:

On my 2006, the airbag sits farther above the plastic piece just above the glove box, plenty of room for lots of gauges.

The pods are OK, I just like to keep my field of view as unobstructed as much as possible. Already have a GPS unit cluttering things up, and that is a necessary heads-up device.

Angle bezels are available for the gauges, which tilt them toward the driver. Easy to see. Probably easier to see than the factory gauges, which my hands and the steering wheel cover up. Gives my kid something to stare at too ("here Cal, let me know if those needles move"). As a aircraft pilot, I'm used to looking all over for gauge information.

I do hate drilling holes in the plastic, but I figure the gauges are going to stay put for a long time, if not forever. (Its not like these cars will ever be 64.5 restoration projects.)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Is it me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagess
One Work Airbag!!!!!
Huh? Care to elaborate on what you're trying to say?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Here's a picture

Some of you post before you look, so I'll make it easier. Here is a model of the gauge placement:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...32353/si/gauge

I ride with the seat in the rear most position. The gauges are sticking out 2.5" (on the cardboard model) and so is the camera from my eye. Anyone with a 5" shorter seat position would see this view. I see better sitting back.

Some of you are going point out that the gauges are installed skewed. Yes, I know. That is an old-school racer's trick. Put all your gauges in a line and then have the needle point to the highest acceptable reading at the 3:00 o'clock position. A quick glance will tell you if everything is OK. Any needle showing south the 3:00 o'clock deserves investigation. It may look funny, but it is very functional (if we didn't want function, we'd stick with the Ford idiot gauges, wouldn't we?)

Now, how about some wiring advice?
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Some of you post before you look, so I'll make it easier. Here is a model of the gauge placement:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...32353/si/gauge

I ride with the seat in the rear most position. The gauges are sticking out 2.5" (on the cardboard model) and so is the camera from my eye. Anyone with a 5" shorter seat position would see this view. I see better sitting back.

Some of you are going point out that the gauges are installed skewed. Yes, I know. That is an old-school racer's trick. Put all your gauges in a line and then have the needle point to the highest acceptable reading at the 3:00 o'clock position. A quick glance will tell you if everything is OK. Any needle showing south the 3:00 o'clock deserves investigation. It may look funny, but it is very functional (if we didn't want function, we'd stick with the Ford idiot gauges, wouldn't we?)

Now, how about some wiring advice?
You don't need wiring guidance you need placement guidance. I still can't understand why anyone would put guages on the passenger side. I know a lot of old-school racers and they never put gauges on the wrong side.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
You don't need wiring guidance you need placement guidance. I still can't understand why anyone would put guages on the passenger side. I know a lot of old-school racers and they never put gauges on the wrong side.
First off, this car isn't that wide that it really makes a difference on what side you put them. Second, I gave a reason for having all in a row. Where can you do that on the driver's side?

My friends and I had plenty of Chevelles, Camaros and Novas, as well as our Ford friends, with the gauges to the right. Sorry I didn't keep pictures, but visit any classic car show.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Maybe some ideas in this thread.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...ghlight=gauges

Good luck with it!

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
GT Member
S197 Member

Hey what ever sails your plane, I can see your point and I agree with the needle up position that's common knowlege or should be and as long as the gauges are tilted towards your view more power to ya.

As a former off-road racer we placed gauges on that side all of the time...

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
That is one of the better ideas I've seen. I figured it would be too hard to get them in there. Your friend care to share some tips on how it was done?

As to the other questions/comments:
Follow the link Osiris posted. The blue mustang is my friend that has the gauges between the center vents. He didn't do the job himself, our tuner (Adam with ST Motorsports) installed them. Thats who I'm going have install mine when I get ready.

Saleen S/C, 4R70W Trans, 3:73 gears, 3200 stall PI, GT500 fuel pump, JBA Shorty headers.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt46270
Follow the link Osiris posted. The blue mustang is my friend that has the gauges between the center vents. He didn't do the job himself, our tuner (Adam with ST Motorsports) installed them. Thats who I'm going have install mine when I get ready.
twgonder, this is what you should do if you absolutely hate the pillar pods. the gauges in the glove box will look like a$$, period. i REALLY think you should reconsider before you butcher your dash. if you butcher it, it is permanent.

ALSO, im trying to figure out why you need a gps in your stang, i dream all the time of getting hopelessly lost in my stang, for then i can spend hours driving around finding my way....:eyepoppin

WIFE TO GTNOS: where have you been? youve been gone for hours!!

GTNOS TO WIFE: well, honey, somehow, i got lost going to the store....:hihi:

WIFE: again??!!

hehe, id come back high on exhaust fumes, with an empty gas tank, and barley 5/32 worth of tread on the rear tires....

WIFE: whats all that black stuff on the both the rear quarter panels?

GTNOS: uhhh,..... road tar....... :hihi:

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page