Is it difficult to install a plenum cover? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Is it difficult to install a plenum cover?

I was going to purchase a plenum cover from Midwest Auto Gear after seeing recent threads on them. I was wondering on a scale of 1-10 how difficult (10 being the hardest) is it to install one? My mechanical knowledge is limited and I dont really want to pay a shop to have it installed. Do you have to remove the throttle body and/or replace any gaskets associated with the throttle body or not.
Thanks again....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
S197 Member

I don't know about the ones from Midwest, mine came from Ford. It was a piece of cake, a definate 1.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
S197 Member

Buy the one from Ford. It's half the price. There is a thread on here with the part numbers. Even with the removal and replacement of my strut brace the whole job took under 10 minutes.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I'd rate it barely a 1, which is about how many minutes it took to install. I took more time finding my wrench than to install it. It comes with instructions which are easy to follow. If you can follw the "rinse, lather, repeat" instructions on a bottle of shampoo, you can install the cover. There's nothing major to remove. Personally, I like the Midwest cover better than the Ford cover. I actually forked over the extra dough for a custom painted cover for something really unique.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horseowner
Buy the one from Ford. It's half the price. There is a thread on here with the part numbers. Even with the removal and replacement of my strut brace the whole job took under 10 minutes.
+1, and its a 1/3 of the MAG cover.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Man, just look at it this way, I may quite possibly be the most non-mechanically inclined, person on this site and I was able to install it myself in about 15 minutes. So if I can do it, any one can.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Once again, thanks to all have helped. Im ordering today and hopefully will have some pics posted late next week.
The people on this site are the best when it comes to our stangs.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006
Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatLadder26
Once again, thanks to all have helped. Im ordering today and hopefully will have some pics posted late next week.
The people on this site are the best when it comes to our stangs.
So which one are you going with? Definately post pics after install. I want to clean up my engine as well but I'm saving for go-fast goodies.

Snack
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Here's mine

The cover took 30 minutes to complete. 25 to find the right socket and 5 to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.gif
Views:	288
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	19124  

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Just called MidWest (very nice people) Plenum cover will be delivered on Wed. or Thurs. of this week. I'll have pics posted by the end of the week.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster
So which one are you going with? Definately post pics after install. I want to clean up my engine as well but I'm saving for go-fast goodies.

Snack
Airbrushed with American Eagle and Flag with Stars and Stripes. It looks sweet on the web site. Only had one in stock.
S197 Member

A lot easier to install than the replacing of my valve covers!

Next up, Granatelli CAI which I ordered y'day!

-danny
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	w_DSC7301.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	19161   Click image for larger version

Name:	w_DSC7304.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	19162  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

How does it look?

Well, here it is. Installed plenum cover today. I think it looks pretty nice. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
PS- Midwest Auto delivered on the day they promised. Great people to work with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8310042.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	19234   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310043.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	19235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310044.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	19236   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310045.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	19237  
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatLadder26
Well, here it is. Installed plenum cover today. I think it looks pretty nice. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
PS- Midwest Auto delivered on the day they promised. Great people to work with.
Damn fine artwork...looks very sharp. Yes, I went with Midwest aswell, only becasue Ford had not offered theirs at the time I bought mine. Plus I wanted to continue with the red/black theme. Now I am thinking I should have added a checkered flag with the red and black.....things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmm...

Is your strut tower brace completely clearing your new cover? I would hate to see it rub off that cool art work.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Damn fine artwork...looks very sharp. Yes, I went with Midwest aswell, only becasue Ford had not offered theirs at the time I bought mine. Plus I wanted to continue with the red/black theme. Now I am thinking I should have added a checkered flag with the red and black.....things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmm...

Is your strut tower brace completely clearing your new cover? I would hate to see it rub off that cool art work.

Hello Again mrvandermey...
Yes it does clear the tower brace...barely.
I can fit a piece of paper between the tower brace and the plenum cover. And you were right, it took me about 15 minutes to find a 8mm deep socket and 10 minutes to install. And that includes removing and re-installing the tower brace.
BTW- you have 999 posts. Where will the 1000th be...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page