Clay -- no urban legend - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Marcus GT Send a message via MSN to Marcus GT
All of his pictures show this stuff being done in direct sunlight. I know thats not good.

2005 Mustang GT, Black w/ Dark Charcoal interior
IUP, Active-Anti Theft Alarm
Bright Aluminum Wheels w/Locks
Perma Plate, Window Tinting 35/20/5
Molded Splash Guards, Sequential Tail Lights
SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Front License Plate Delete
DFM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
I actually consider myself a detailing "expert" so to speak. The dishwash soap thing is an extra step which is not necessary when claying; yes it will strip the wax, but so will clay. Like I said the contaminants are below the wax: common sense that it would remove the wax too!
I did manage a Turtle Wax Company owned full serve wash and detailing center for many years. I did this kind of thing every day; even played around with test chemicals/waxes/polished that were in R&D as well as using many competitor products first hand to compare results by machine and hand application.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT
I actually consider myself a detailing "expert" so to speak. The dishwash soap thing is an extra step which is not necessary when claying; yes it will strip the wax, but so will clay. Like I said the contaminants are below the wax: common sense that it would remove the wax too!
I did manage a Turtle Wax Company owned full serve wash and detailing center for many years. I did this kind of thing every day; even played around with test chemicals/waxes/polished that were in R&D as well as using many competitor products first hand to compare results by machine and hand application.
Are there any major differences between the Mothers and Meguiars clay kits? I noticed the Mothers kit comes with a cleaner wax that probably contains some abrasives in it. I would imagine you don't want to use an abrasive after claying.

2005 Black GT with Red upgrade interior, fully tinted, 18's with ASA/BBS 5 spoke studded wheels, Michelin Pilots, Borla S-Type catbacks, K&N FIPK cold air injection system.

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle F
"Let me begin by stating that I am in no way an auto detailing expert. I don’t claim to know everything; I am just putting down stuff for consideration."

HEy I can make all the faux technical writups I want. Where is his credentials?

Sorry, just a thing of mine abotu the internet. I actually fell that almost everythign he sayes is correct except wash you wheels first.
yeah... that bit about washing the dirtiest parts first doesn't get passing grades (imho):

(1) because no matter how well you rinse the towel or sponge, it still keeps a bit of grit that has the potential to get rubbed all over the rest of the car. Save the dirties parts for last!

(2) the dirtiest areas are typically lower. pain in the butt to dry and re-dry if you are working your way UP.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think Fitch615 did a great job with that write up. He did say not to use the same bucket as you wash your wheels and dirtiest area with,so I would also assume you would use another wash rag.( Brake dust is a killer ) but I also do my wheels last. I am a big fan of ziano I think you should try Z-6 and Z-8. Z-8 really pops your paint. I use a leaf blower to dry my car it gets all the water out of the grill and door jams then towel with a 100% USA cotton towel. One other thing allways rewash your car after you clay with a car wash soap.Just my 2 cents

06 mustang gt 5 spd manual redfire/Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 # 372 /Tillman 93 tune/450 rwhp 435 rwt/GT 500 fuel system/high flow cats X pipe / chrome bullitt wheels / 10inch nitto 555/ MGW shifter /SLP Loudmouth/ sequential turn signals/J&M lca/ painted agent 47 mirrors and Zanio
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICO13
Are there any major differences between the Mothers and Meguiars clay kits? I noticed the Mothers kit comes with a cleaner wax that probably contains some abrasives in it. I would imagine you don't want to use an abrasive after claying.
There are different grades of clay; similiar to that of polishing compunds. For the most part, a light clay works just fine. Remember; the less you have to rub, the better. - that goes with anything on your paint.
I personally steer clear of any type of "cleaner" waxes or polishes. The only time it's really needed IMO is if you have some light fading/oxidation on the paint or light swirls or scratches (the superficial ones). I do love zaino, but even with the first order I passed on any type of swirl or scratch remover.

-Good Luck!

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page