Ford Mustang Forum banner

Clay -- no urban legend

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Waxed'05 GT 
#1 ·
Started claying Luci yesterday, first time experience...and all you learned AFM guys/gals were right again. Unbelievable. Spray lubricant (detailing liquid) goes on clear, drips off car clear...but then you make a pass with the clay and what runs off is dark, almost black! And this was AFTER a car wash! Clay also picked up many pieces of grit along the way.

Hats off to y'all...and definitely an endorsement for anyone else who's purchased (or will) an '06 that could well have been sitting outside in the elements for almost a year...

Sa-LUTE!:applause:

#2 ·
Great. that is what I did the first day I brought my pony home.:gringreen

#3 ·
Don't forget DIXI C.

She'll enjoy the rubdown too!!

#4 ·
Just wait...

Just wait till after the first wax and you run your hand over the paint...you'll think you're touching polished glass.:)

#5 ·
glyppus said:
Just wait till after the first wax and you run your hand over the paint...you'll think you're touching polished glass.:)
You should immediately wax after claying the car.

You should wash the car first with a dish soap to remove the old wax.
THen Clay,

Then Wax. and never use dish soap again until you are ready to clay again.

#6 ·
Kyle F said:

THen Clay,

Using warm to hot water is a safer way of removing old wax.

#8 ·
Kyle F said:

THen Clay,

Absolutely. Might as well make a day of it.

#11 ·
The rest of my detailing <poop> is arriving today, including spray lubricant and a clay bar. I can't wait to spend a day on mine! Claying the car makes a huge difference.

Mine was out on the lot for 5 months before I bought it, so I know she needs it. She'll get her first oil change next month as well.

BTW: You should post up some pics of your car after claying it and waxing it. I bet it looks great!

#12 ·
My new rig sat for about 9 months, so we clayed her that first week. We use Zaino. They're polish goes on real easy. I am sold on it.:shigrin

www.zaino.com

#13 ·
CHICO13 said:
Using warm to hot water is a safer way of removing old wax.
Gee, I sure hope its not that easy... maybe you should try a better wax.

As for the clay bar removing the wax... It might possibly, but it also keeps the contaminates covered. So, as all the clay kits I have ever used sates... use a dish soap first to remove the old wax, clay, then wax.

#15 ·
fitch615 said:
"Let me begin by stating that I am in no way an auto detailing expert. I don’t claim to know everything; I am just putting down stuff for consideration."

HEy I can make all the faux technical writups I want. Where is his credentials?

Sorry, just a thing of mine abotu the internet. I actually fell that almost everythign he sayes is correct except wash you wheels first.

#16 ·
All of his pictures show this stuff being done in direct sunlight. I know thats not good.

#17 ·
I actually consider myself a detailing "expert" so to speak. The dishwash soap thing is an extra step which is not necessary when claying; yes it will strip the wax, but so will clay. Like I said the contaminants are below the wax: common sense that it would remove the wax too!
I did manage a Turtle Wax Company owned full serve wash and detailing center for many years. I did this kind of thing every day; even played around with test chemicals/waxes/polished that were in R&D as well as using many competitor products first hand to compare results by machine and hand application.

#18 ·
Waxed'05 GT said:
I actually consider myself a detailing "expert" so to speak. The dishwash soap thing is an extra step which is not necessary when claying; yes it will strip the wax, but so will clay. Like I said the contaminants are below the wax: common sense that it would remove the wax too!
I did manage a Turtle Wax Company owned full serve wash and detailing center for many years. I did this kind of thing every day; even played around with test chemicals/waxes/polished that were in R&D as well as using many competitor products first hand to compare results by machine and hand application.
Are there any major differences between the Mothers and Meguiars clay kits? I noticed the Mothers kit comes with a cleaner wax that probably contains some abrasives in it. I would imagine you don't want to use an abrasive after claying.

#19 ·
Kyle F said:
"Let me begin by stating that I am in no way an auto detailing expert. I don’t claim to know everything; I am just putting down stuff for consideration."

HEy I can make all the faux technical writups I want. Where is his credentials?

Sorry, just a thing of mine abotu the internet. I actually fell that almost everythign he sayes is correct except wash you wheels first.
yeah... that bit about washing the dirtiest parts first doesn't get passing grades (imho):

(1) because no matter how well you rinse the towel or sponge, it still keeps a bit of grit that has the potential to get rubbed all over the rest of the car. Save the dirties parts for last!

(2) the dirtiest areas are typically lower. pain in the butt to dry and re-dry if you are working your way UP.

#20 ·
I think Fitch615 did a great job with that write up. He did say not to use the same bucket as you wash your wheels and dirtiest area with,so I would also assume you would use another wash rag.( Brake dust is a killer ) but I also do my wheels last. I am a big fan of ziano I think you should try Z-6 and Z-8. Z-8 really pops your paint. I use a leaf blower to dry my car it gets all the water out of the grill and door jams then towel with a 100% USA cotton towel. One other thing allways rewash your car after you clay with a car wash soap.Just my 2 cents

#21 ·
CHICO13 said:
Are there any major differences between the Mothers and Meguiars clay kits? I noticed the Mothers kit comes with a cleaner wax that probably contains some abrasives in it. I would imagine you don't want to use an abrasive after claying.
There are different grades of clay; similiar to that of polishing compunds. For the most part, a light clay works just fine. Remember; the less you have to rub, the better. - that goes with anything on your paint.
I personally steer clear of any type of "cleaner" waxes or polishes. The only time it's really needed IMO is if you have some light fading/oxidation on the paint or light swirls or scratches (the superficial ones). I do love zaino, but even with the first order I passed on any type of swirl or scratch remover.

-Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.