Installed my LCA's-Nice!! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT
BMR site: www.bmrfabrication.com/2005mustang.htm

For those who know... Which pair is best recommended???
Seems BMR recently changed their non-adjustable style from a tubular to a box. Not sure why. I have the old tubular ones (non-adj). If you go adjustable or non-adjustable, get the poly bushings. The spherical, although great on the track, are clunky since it's just metal on metal.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1213
Yes, chrome molly, but they're blue. Should it be blue molly? Hell, I don't know. Here's a dumb ?. Is there a right and wrong end to install these?
Chromolly is just a type of steel (has nothing to do with chrome). It is about 30% stronger than mild steel. LCAs will install only one way. They are wider in the rear.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Seems BMR recently changed their non-adjustable style from a tubular to a box. Not sure why. I have the old tubular ones (non-adj). If you go adjustable or non-adjustable, get the poly bushings. The spherical, although great on the track, are clunky since it's just metal on metal.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get a set before going to the track next year. Would there be an advantage to adjustable? I plan on making it a streetable "dragster" probably ending in low 11's 1/4 mile. This is a VERY long term goal, but don't want to have to buy things twice. This is one big reason I've not purchased cdmp's yet... I may end up with a ts.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

S197 Member

Convinced me, I am going to order the BMR LCA's and tower brace next. I want to lower the car but it just seems so easy to trash the bottom of the car with dips and peaks in the road.

DW
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get a set before going to the track next year. Would there be an advantage to adjustable? I plan on making it a streetable "dragster" probably ending in low 11's 1/4 mile. This is a VERY long term goal, but don't want to have to buy things twice. This is one big reason I've not purchased cdmp's yet... I may end up with a ts.
If the car is or will be lowered, the adjustable LCAs and 3rd link (UCA) are a good idea. 3rd link especially to maintain optimum pinion angle. You may also want to look at LCA relocation brackets. They provide additional rear mounting holes that allow you to alter control arm angles. Good for the strip!

1965 Mustang Coupe
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrishevo
Convinced me, I am going to order the BMR LCA's and tower brace next. I want to lower the car but it just seems so easy to trash the bottom of the car with dips and peaks in the road.

DW
You won't be sorry. BMR is good stuff! Don't have their STB, but it looks like a good solid piece.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
If the car is or will be lowered, the adjustable LCAs and 3rd link (UCA) are a good idea. 3rd link especially to maintain optimum pinion angle. You may also want to look at LCA relocation brackets. They provide additional rear mounting holes that allow you to alter control arm angles. Good for the strip!
Is there a benefit to having lca's that are adjustable on both ends? I'm thinking that one end being adjustable is more than suficient.
I agree about the relo brackets; and those can come later. I'll be more focused on spending $ to make the power, then I'll tweak for traction as necessary. But wheel hop elimination would at this point, already be beneficial.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Is there a benefit to having lca's that are adjustable on both ends? I'm thinking that one end being adjustable is more than suficient.
I agree about the relo brackets; and those can come later. I'll be more focused on spending $ to make the power, then I'll tweak for traction as necessary. But wheel hop elimination would at this point, already be beneficial.
I've only seen LCAs with a single adjust point. Have you seen some with 2? Not sure what the benefit would be since the goal is just to lengthen or shorten the LCA. That can be accomplished with one adjustment.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I've only seen LCAs with a single adjust point. Have you seen some with 2? Not sure what the benefit would be since the goal is just to lengthen or shorten the LCA. That can be accomplished with one adjustment.
Yes I have. I agree, I think if it's adjustable that's all I'll need. However, reading on The Mustang Source many people have still noticed some wheel hop without using uca's in conjunction with lca's.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Yes I have. I agree, I think if it's adjustable that's all I'll need. However, reading on The Mustang Source many people have still noticed some wheel hop without using uca's in conjunction with lca's.
That's true... I did my LCAs first and the 3rd link a few weeks later. LCAs helped but the UCA really finished off the wheel hop. Afterall, it's a single point of failure and the bushings on the stock UCA are just as mushy as the stock LCAs and panhard bar. If I could do over, I would replace the LCAs, UCA, and panhard bar & brace at the same time.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Good to know. Do the LCA's have to come out to do the other two?

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Good to know. Do the LCA's have to come out to do the other two?
Nope... just be sure to do 1 LCA at a time. If you remove both stock ones first, the axle will rotate a little and make the install harder. Probably doesn't really matter but I'd recommend doing the LCAs, UCA and panhard bar/brace in that order.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Nope... just be sure to do 1 LCA at a time. If you remove both stock ones first, the axle will rotate a little and make the install harder. Probably doesn't really matter but I'd recommend doing the LCAs, UCA and panhard bar/brace in that order.
Based on the pics I saw on the install at CHE I could not tell what the UCA's attach to, could you enlighten me a little more please?

Thanks

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Based on the pics I saw on the install at CHE I could not tell what the UCA's attach to, could you enlighten me a little more please?

Thanks
Center of axle (pumpkin) to chasis. Good illustrations at http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/64.jpg or http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/44.jpg

1965 Mustang Coupe
Rookie

Do LCAs help with that damn thing that happens when you go over a bump in a curve and the rear wheels momentarily lose traction? I hate that...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page