Painting GT Hood - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Zrullac
Painting GT Hood

I am close to repainting the hood on my Tungsten Gray GT. I want to paint it black, but not completely. I don't know if I should use a metallic black or a flat black. Any suggestions or pics that can show me what it might look like. Thanks

MSgt, USAFR Retired
2006 Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe, Tungsten Grey, Dark Charcoal Int., IUP, AAT, Leather Trim Bucket Seats, 17" 40th Anniversary Bullits w/tri-bar Pony Spinner, TR3650 5-Spd Man Tranny, Wheel Locking Kit, MRT Hood Struts. Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

if youre wanting the "BOSS" or "MACH 1" look, i would go flat black. actually, i wouldnt use metallic black no matter what. metallic black looks like it has gold flakes in it. (probably b/c it does) maybe gloss black if you want the steeda Q look. (which would look good on your tungsten)

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I used metallic black stripes on a tan metallic car and the stripes looked dusty all the time.You could go two stage with black base and clear coat.
Here is a pic of my 06'GT with black stripe on legend lime,and the second pic is the first car I mentioned(67'Rebel550).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0174.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	19321   Click image for larger version

Name:	67rebel 2.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	19322  

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I wasn't trying to make my car something it wasn't, so I went with gloss black. I like it better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2281.JPG
Views:	1681
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	19323  

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006

Ya myt your gloss black looks good but so does metallic...they both look good
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I like the look of the matte black paint. In fact, I'd like to do the spolier on my Mustang that way, but question how difficult it is to keep it looking good over the course of time? Do you just wax it like your normal clearcoat paint, or is there some other sort of maintenance regimen?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I like the look of the matte black paint. In fact, I'd like to do the spolier on my Mustang that way, but question how difficult it is to keep it looking good over the course of time? Do you just wax it like your normal clearcoat paint, or is there some other sort of maintenance regimen?
If you had the paint done at, say 70%, you'd apply wax as usual. It might initially give it a bit of a sheen, but over time would remain constant. I chose the gloss because I can't stand the line that inevitably forms between the flat black and the gloss. It just collects wax and shows a white line. When I had my hood done, the entire hood was coated in two coats of clear. You can't feel the change from blue to black.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myltlpny
If you had the paint done at, say 70%, you'd apply wax as usual. It might initially give it a bit of a sheen, but over time would remain constant. I chose the gloss because I can't stand the line that inevitably forms between the flat black and the gloss. It just collects wax and shows a white line.
If I did mine it would be just the spoiler (the entire spoiler -- not just a stripe) so I doubt there would be a problem with the build-up of wax at the "break" line....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
Apprentice

Here's mine....black satin paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	19327  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Zrullac
Munson,

I really like the way yours looks. Did you paint the chin spoiler the same color as the hood or did it come that color. Is it a CDC chin spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson1578
Here's mine....black satin paint.

MSgt, USAFR Retired
2006 Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe, Tungsten Grey, Dark Charcoal Int., IUP, AAT, Leather Trim Bucket Seats, 17" 40th Anniversary Bullits w/tri-bar Pony Spinner, TR3650 5-Spd Man Tranny, Wheel Locking Kit, MRT Hood Struts. Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav system.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddellwo
If I did mine it would be just the spoiler (the entire spoiler -- not just a stripe) so I doubt there would be a problem with the build-up of wax at the "break" line....
Very true. I was referring to the hood lines, if you did the hood like mine. If you did the entire hood...no problem.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrullac
Munson,

I really like the way yours looks. Did you paint the chin spoiler the same color as the hood or did it come that color. Is it a CDC chin spoiler.
The cdc chin spoiler, hood, rear spoiler, and also blacked out the rear panel all the same paint color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page