nitrogin filled tires - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

nitrogin filled tires

Hey people,

my wife works at a toyota dealership and wants me to get my tires filled with Nitrogin........anyone else do this? what are the benifits?? washed and waxed my stang today ..........wouln't you know its pouring out side . gotta love this south florida weather.
any input welcome.

72fins

2007 gt vista blue convert. 5 speed, 3:55 gears, UIP, 18" billets, charcole interior, gt package, JBA Axel backs, sequential turn signals, C&L CAI, with brenspeed 93 oct. tune, american muscle black out kit for all lights, roush short throw shifter, steeda underdrive pulleys, pypes off road H pipe

Future mods...... long tube headers, cam, suspension and the list goes on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Well, military aircraft use nitrogen in most tires. Nitrogen molecules are larger than air and escape less rapidly and it is also less susceptible to expansion and contraction. Nitrogen is also lighter than air and people have reported better gas mileage. It isn't cheap. Can cost a few dollars per tire to fill.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
nghtrnnr

but what if i hit a bump? will the car start to float away? is this like flubber?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr
but what if i hit a bump? will the car start to float away? is this like flubber?
Yeah, gotta watch those speed bumps! Tell you what, if it got me an extra 2 mpg, I'd spend the $5 or so a tire. If not, I'm sticking to good old air.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Well, military aircraft use nitrogen in most tires. Nitrogen molecules are larger than air and escape less rapidly and it is also less susceptible to expansion and contraction. Nitrogen is also lighter than air and people have reported better gas mileage. It isn't cheap. Can cost a few dollars per tire to fill.
Actually, Nitrogen isn't any less susceptable to expansion and contraction than any other pure gas. Pv=nRT for all pure gasses.

The benefit (aside from the already mentioned lack of seepage due to a larger molecular size) is that Nitrogen, unlike air, does not have any water vapor in it. It is the water vapor in regular air that is chiefly responsible for the increases/decreases in pressure caused by varying temperatures. Even the tiny bit of water vapor in normal air has a huge impact on pressures as temperature varies. If you were able to fill a tire with normal air at 0% humidity, it would respond to pressure in the same way the pure Nitrogen does. However, air, even at 0% humidity, would still leak out more easily.

Personally, it's cheaper for me to just use my compressor and keep an eye on my pressures. On the other hand, I can easily see it being worth the money to someone who doesn't want to adjust their tire pressure every week.

Claims of increased mileage are faulty, and are either the result of new tires (most people switch over when new tires are fitted) or of having had the tires under-inflated before switcing to Nitrogen. Claims of a smoother ride likewise baffle me since X PSI is X PSI regardless of the particular gas creating the pressure and Nitrogen at 32 PSI will cause the tire to behave exactly the same as if it were inflated with air at 32 PSI.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ive used 78% Nitrogen 21% oxygen and 1%other for years, its called air.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
Apprentice

fuel economy myth

Please don't spend money on nitrogen filled tires for street use - send it to the Red Cross instead - you will feel better and your $ will have some impact.

Zenmervolt is right on the ball. See attached links which tell you a bit more about nitrogen (scroll down to "Modern Applications") and reinforce the myth about better fuel economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...tember/05.html

06 GT Tungsten with quicksilver stripes, Prem with red interior, FSAB, stickshift. Lightning Performance 62mm TB, WMS CAI with Ram Air box, Kooks Long Tube headers, X-pipe and Magnaflow back system. Diablo Predator tuner. Tokico D-spec adjustable shocks, Eibach Sportline springs, BMR adj panhard. Stern ST-1 Beast 20" x 8.5" & 9.5" staggered wheels in Hyperblack with Nitto 555s, 255/35 & 275/35. 12" Phat antenna.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

The only reason we used nitrogen in tires when I was in the Air Force was for heat disapation, Believe me, your stangs' tires will never build up the heat that a fully loaded F15 or a C130's tires builds up on take off and landing. You will just be wasting your money.

06' GT Tungsten gray,seq. turn sigs. no spoiler.
XM,
An armed man is called a citizen.A disarmed man is called a subject.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I am not sure it is a waste...I have nitrogen in my 20" tires, and I have never have to check the tire pressure. I personally recommend it. IMHO, it is a good idea.
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
I am not sure it is a waste...I have nitrogen in my 20" tires, and I have never have to check the tire pressure. I personally recommend it. IMHO, it is a good idea.
Yup, if you don't have your own compressor, it can be a worthwhile move. Though I'd still want to check pressures once a month because I'm paranoid about that.
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Nitrogen is not lighter than 'air' and the molecules are not larger....check your periodic charts. The only benefit of using Nitrogen is that it doesn't absorb water and therefor will have a more predictable increase in tire pressure as it heats up. Possibly there could be slightly less oxidation on the inside of the tire but since the atmosphere already is ~78% Nitrogen, I really doubt that would show any benefit.

-Chip in SC

'07 Vista Blue Mustang GT Premium (T82), 5spd-mt (44K), 3.55 rear axle (455), dk.charcoal int (KW), Interior Upgrade Package/Satin trim (18G/67L), Premier Trim Pkg (68B), Comfort Group (53B), Side Airbags (43A), 18"fanblades (64E), Wheel Locks (17L)

1998 Mustang GT
1990 Mustang LX vert
1989 Mustang GT

Blue Mustang Registry - http://registry.03sbgt.com/
Mustang Week - www.mustangweek.com
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Good for race cars,waste of money for street cars.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Nitrogen isn't that much lighter that it's going to lighten the car and make it get better gas mileage. The savings is most likely due to the fact that the tires are properly inflated for a longer time. That will do more for mileage in any car. Another benefit is Nitrogen is supposed to reduce moisture on the inside of the tire, inhibiting corrosion. Many steel wheels failed due to rusting from the inside out. Air, under compression, will actually pool moisture. That's why you have to drain your air compressor every time you use it. The benifits, if any, seem to be negligible so I wouldn't bother myself.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipchay61
Nitrogen is not lighter than 'air' and the molecules are not larger....check your periodic charts. The only benefit of using Nitrogen is that it doesn't absorb water and therefor will have a more predictable increase in tire pressure as it heats up. Possibly there could be slightly less oxidation on the inside of the tire but since the atmosphere already is ~78% Nitrogen, I really doubt that would show any benefit.

-Chip in SC
N2 and O2 molecules are actually almost the same size and N2 is lighter than O2 (28 g/mol vs 32 g/mol). And if you go strictly by atomic weight, pure nitrogen is considerably lighter than dry air (78.1% Nitrogen, 20.9% Oxygen, 0.93 % Argon & trace (<.1%) amounts of other noble gases, carbon dioxide and air pollutants). Have to go now... Late for 3rd period science class

1965 Mustang Coupe
S197 Member

guys guys guys, i go to college too u know, i respect your up-to-date info, but you're acting as if you will keep your car for centuries, we all love our cars, but don't be soooo picky about what kinda air u wanna put, if u wanna preserve anything, it should be ur engine, use MobileOne oil and high quality gas that's all, GOD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page