Okay, I was suduced by Ford 0% Financing - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Hhhmmmm.....I guess I will learn to drive like an old man...or at least very close to the speed limit with "responsible" take-offs and "civilized" braking. I am buying a hard tonneau cover for both looks and very minor increase to efficiency (fuel mileage). I will be happy if I can 18+ mpg. If I turn out to get consisently worse, then I will pick up a throw away commuter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Hhhmmmm.....I guess I will learn to drive like an old man...or at least very close to the speed limit with "responsible" take-offs and "civilized" braking. I am buying a hard tonneau cover for both looks and very minor increase to efficiency (fuel mileage). I will be happy if I can 18+ mpg. If I turn out to get consisently worse, then I will pick up a throw away commuter.
Expect somewhere in the 13-14 MPG range with the new F-150 and a 5.4L 3V engine.

GT Member
S197 Member

ive been getting 12. my old 02 Z71 Ext Cab got 17, but the F150 is a bit heavier. the real fact is that fords have never been known for thier gas mileage, im surprised we get as good of gas mileage as we do from our stangs. that F150 sure drives damn nice though dont it Vandermey? ill tell you something else too, it is a heck of a lot easier to park that supercrew than it was my 02 ext cab chevy. that thing had a turning radius like a mack truck. now i know why chevy is the only truck to come with optional 4 wheel steering.... they need it to negotiate parking lots.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Well, I grant I may be hoping for a miracle in gas mileage, considering my FORD Fusion only got 22 MPG (it was rated at 32 mpg) and my FORD Mustang only gets 14-18 MPG (rated at 26 mpg). So it is likely the 19 mpg on the window sticker of the FORD F-150 my be a stretch. With that said, I may have mentioned this before, but my brother just bought the same truck a few days before I did, except his is the longer bed/wheelbase and is 4x4, and he is getting 18.5 mpg on the freeway on his last road trip. When I had my '02 explorer with the 4.6L, I consistently got between 18-21 mpg and I drove it hard.

Regardless of the gas mileage, I will say, the ride is nice. I did not sacrifice style or comfort...I got most of the bells and whistles. She is well equiped. Once upon a time, I had a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3L V8 (got 20-21 mpg) and then I sold it for some reason and have always regretted that decision. Now that I have a F-150, the Ford blows the Chevy out of the water. Very smooth ride. Barely can tell it is a truck.
Rookie

We just got an '06 GT convertible (150 miles from home). We averaged right around 25 mpg @ 65mph; we were duly impressed. Believe it or not, the Crown Vic we traded in would get 24-26 mpg hiway; our '89 Cougar (supercharged XR7) is good for 25+ hiway also. My '04 Hemi Ram QC 4x4 will knock down 19-20 hiway after some mods; Fram CAI, synthetics and a "SuperChips" programmer. The worst of the bunch is my 1963 Chevy BelAir (400 small block, 4 speed......); it only gets around 16mpg hiway. Thank god the Harley is good for around 45mpg. Rats, I just realized we have too many toys! Anyone interested in a clean 1989 Cougar XR7 w/87,000 miles? It's in the "Other Ford Cars & Trucks" for sale forum.

T
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Although I am not as gas senistive as many others, and I do realize this is a truck and that there really is not a way to maximize fuel efficiency, I am still going to do several things to help it along. One thing I did notice on the window sticker, apparently the F-150 has a 3.55 gear ratio, that should help minutely. I am going to put synthetic oil in her (I hear that helps with 1 or 2 mpg), of course I am getting a hard tonneau cover (I have like those regardless of the mpg), and I am probably going to add a CAI and dual exhaust. I was going to use a tuner, but just talking to you all on this thread makes it apparent that wont help much. If I do become a slave to the pump, I will just go buy a little beater and run that to the ground.
Rookie

Gearing

I personally have not gone this route (yet), but if you go to the "Dodge Talk" Forum and look under the 3rd gen Hemi Rams, it is noted by quite a few members that installing 4.56 gears :eyepoppinINCREASES:eyepoppin mileage. The Hemi Rams come stock w/ a 3.92 ratio; going to the 4.56's gets the mass rolling w/ less fuel and because of the deep 5th gear (2nd OD), it is claimed that cruising at normal hiway speeds is not affected. I don't know how deep the OD is on an F150, but it may be worth looking into.

T
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Although I am not as gas senistive as many others, and I do realize this is a truck and that there really is not a way to maximize fuel efficiency, I am still going to do several things to help it along. One thing I did notice on the window sticker, apparently the F-150 has a 3.55 gear ratio, that should help minutely. I am going to put synthetic oil in her (I hear that helps with 1 or 2 mpg), of course I am getting a hard tonneau cover (I have like those regardless of the mpg), and I am probably going to add a CAI and dual exhaust. I was going to use a tuner, but just talking to you all on this thread makes it apparent that wont help much. If I do become a slave to the pump, I will just go buy a little beater and run that to the ground.
hey vandermey, have you looked under the hood of your F150? if so, did you take notice of that mess of crap ford calls an air intake that is bolted to the engine? i mean it looks like a big plastic maze, has to be restrictive as hell. i would get a cold air kit for it, im sure someone makes one. get on one of those f150 forums, im sure someone can point you in the right direction. i would do it to mine, but if have 300 or so bucks to spend, ill buy one for the stang first... but the f150 needs one bad! it would add some hp and maybe even help some with the mileage. dang sure aint gonna hurt...

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
already thought of that, just ordered a K&N CAI and a hard tonneau cover. Looking to put dual exhaust on as well. Anything I can do lessen the stress of driving her daily, since I refuse to drive the Stang daily.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Expect somewhere in the 13-14 MPG range with the new F-150 and a 5.4L 3V engine.
Okay all, just an update, I have driving my new F-150 as my daily driver now for a little over a week. I have put about 750 miles on her and I am averaging 17 mpg. I have ordered a CAI, dual exhaust and a tonneau cover hopiing to squeak out 3-4 mpg more. But right now, not doing too bad considering she is a 5150 lb. beast wiht a 300 hp 5.4L V8. Heck, right now I am getting better mileage in the truck than I am getting in my Stang.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Hot Damn, I just came back from a road trip, I hit 18 mpg without doing anything to my truck. I just installed the K&N CAI today...YES, I did it myself (I am moving up with projects). I musxt admit, the hardest part was installing the seal on the heat shield. Next week I will be adding my tonneau cover (I decided to go for a hinged soft tonneau cover instead of a hard tonneau cover, in order to save on costs) to further increase gas mileage. Anyways, as promised here is a pic of my new daily driver. I was going to get a black truck or a Harley Davidson Truck in order to match my Stang, but decided that black is too much trouble to keep looking good and having one black car is enough. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091606_15011.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	19589  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNOS
hey vandermey, have you looked under the hood of your F150? if so, did you take notice of that mess of crap ford calls an air intake that is bolted to the engine? i mean it looks like a big plastic maze, has to be restrictive as hell. i would get a cold air kit for it, im sure someone makes one. get on one of those f150 forums, im sure someone can point you in the right direction. i would do it to mine, but if have 300 or so bucks to spend, ill buy one for the stang first... but the f150 needs one bad! it would add some hp and maybe even help some with the mileage. dang sure aint gonna hurt...
After installing a K&N CAI, I am now managing a cool 19.5 mpg in my new F-150 (highway mileage of course). Without a doubt, I recommend a CAI. You can really hear the new intake when increasing in speed. I do not recall my K&N CAI in my Mustang having as much of an effect. In fact, since modding my Stang, the mileage has dropped significantly...like to 15 mpg. Whereas just adding a CAI to my F-150 has increased mileage by 2-2.5 mpg. I will be adding a tonneau cover in a few days to see if I can crest over the 20 mpg mark. Anyways, I am enjoying my new truck.

On another note, I took the Stang out this weekend to really break in the Baer 14" brakes. Boy was she a little hot....after breaking the brakes in, I cruised around for a little while to cool them off a bit. :hihi:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page