Bill Ford steps down from CEO of Ford - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

I had an '89 Taurus - back when they were decent sized cars and not the compacts they are now. Drove that car for 150,000 hard miles - all city, stop and go, traffic. I loved that car. Decent power, lots of room, and very comfortable. I am only 5'6" but I am sick of not having any room in cars anymore. Hell, my parent's Grand Marque was so silly that even with the seat all the way back I was crammed against the wheel - considering the size of that car what the hell did they do.

I often think they make these cars in a vacume - or most likely, they are relying TOO MUCH on computer models and forgetting to just ASK people what they want or think is good in a car. Even in our Mustangs - how damn useless are those stupid side pockets in the doors. Even my sunglasses won't fit.

Decent variety is important too - they need to undertand that one size does not fit all!! Some of us could care less about gas mileage - I want room, steel, and power!!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboz
Well they do (did) but it's been a while ...here is a car that would do a steady 20+MPG with a bullet proof slant 6 , ususally good for 150K+ miles...if properly maintained....Plus I'm biased since I picked up a nice little 225 slant 6 1963 Dart GT coupe coming out of paint this week...from the Original Owner ...Black w/Red interior & that infamous push button tranny ....overall car was rock solid for a 43 year old. Maybe The Big 3 should continue to go 'back to the future'.
I had one of those, it ran forever. In fact it ran too long. It just wouldn't die. I don't think they would sell many of those today. That 225 put out about 125hp, and they measured gross hp in those days, and got 18 to 23 mpg. The fuel system was a two barrel Stromberg carburetor, and I loved changing the points and plugs every 20 thousand miles. You could probably get away with changing the oil every 3000 miles today because of the quality of the oil, but in those days you needed to change the oil at least every 1500. Those engines burned dirtier then hell. Not exactly low maintenance. Not exactly high tech.

S197 Member

Tough little motors though, I had one that came into my shop years ago with a rod knock, they had a junkyard engine to swap it out with, we pulled the carb spring and let it run wide open to see if it would blow...it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinjected
Tough little motors though, I had one that came into my shop years ago with a rod knock, they had a junkyard engine to swap it out with, we pulled the carb spring and let it run wide open to see if it would blow...it didn't.
I agree. One of the two toughest motors ever made. The other is the old Ford flat head V8. These motors could run wide open for hours. Like to see you do that today with a ricer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page