What are you paying for tint jobs? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
S197 Member

What are you paying for tint jobs?

I am hearing a lot of people saying it is around $100-$150 depending on darkness and who does it.

Anybody have any bad experiences other than the guy not using felt? How long to tint and would you go darker or lighter if you had to do it over again?

I don't feel great about leaving my car at some guys shop with the kiddies eyeballing it and thinking they need to get it out on the highway to "test the tint" after they install it so I'd rather it be a "while you wait" sorta thing.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I paid $150 for mine - had it 4 months and no scratches. A really nice job. He had the car a couple of hours though. I got one step down from the limo tint and so far have cruised past plenty of cops without a problem. It is worth it as I have noticed a considerably decrease in the interior temp.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

I paid $200 for mine but it was worth every penny. A company called LA Tint did mine (not sure if they're a national chain or not) but used them for two main reasons. Number one, they're computerized. They bring your cars make and model up on their computer and the film gets cut electronically to perfection. Second their film is UV rated, which if you have a nice interior like mine is important. I didn't want my nice red leather turning pink on me. Plus LA Tint gives their film a lifetime guarantee. Also, I made an appointment and waited about an hour or so while they did it.

Basically, call around to see which tint companies offer these. It might cost you a few extra bucks but you'll be real happy in the long run.

2005 Black GT with Red upgrade interior, fully tinted, 18's with ASA/BBS 5 spoke studded wheels, Michelin Pilots, Borla S-Type catbacks, K&N FIPK cold air injection system.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Man, I like the idea of a lifetime guarantee. Bad tint looks so god-awful. Bubbles, scratches, peeling.

Is there anything extra to be done for cleaning it? Anything to watch out for? [ended that sentence in *two* prepositions!]

As the name says, my car is "hole-in-the-night" black and a dark tint would look especially bada--.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

No extra care. They just tell you not to roll the windows down for about two days to let the film adhere correctly. They truly did a great job, no bubbles or peeling or anything. Like I said, it might cost you a bit more but it's worth it when you see the end result.

And my car is black too and with the tint it looks awesome.

2005 Black GT with Red upgrade interior, fully tinted, 18's with ASA/BBS 5 spoke studded wheels, Michelin Pilots, Borla S-Type catbacks, K&N FIPK cold air injection system.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
A reputable shop near me wanted ~$220 and said it would take ~2 hours to complete. I thought that was a little on the pricey side.

Anyone else??? I'm located in a west Chicago suburb. (Anyone from the region would probably know where Aurora is, duh )

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
S197 Member

Mine was tinted at the dealer before I bought it, they tried extorting an extra $200.00 from me but didn't get away with it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
My tint cost me $145 for all 5 windows (20% on front two, 5% limo tint on rear quaters and rear window). It took the guy a couple of hours. He has done several of my cars over the years. Offers a lifetime warranty. I would go darker if I coould, but I have already been pulled over three times for other cars with same tint. Fortunately, I have a vert and 90% of the time my windows (and top) are down. I agree all cars look better with titned windows, but the black cars look downright mean with them. For pics, check my photo gallery, for I do not have a pic with me to post.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
My tint cost me $145 for all 5 windows (20% on front two, 5% limo tint on rear quaters and rear window). It took the guy a couple of hours. He has done several of my cars over the years. Offers a lifetime warranty. I would go darker if I coould, but I have already been pulled over three times for other cars with same tint. Fortunately, I have a vert and 90% of the time my windows (and top) are down. I agree all cars look better with titned windows, but the black cars look downright mean with them. For pics, check my photo gallery, for I do not have a pic with me to post.
Do you find visibility a problem at all with the rear window being so dark?

I'm thinking like 60% all the way around.

Hey fellas; post pics and describe what % the tint is so "us guys" that want tint can make a decision each of us would be happy with.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT

Hey fellas; post pics and describe what % the tint is so "us guys" that want tint can make a decision each of us would be happy with.
Basically (in Virginia anyway) you can go as dark as you want on the rear glass as long as you have sideview mirrors. My back glass is real dark but I have no visibilty probems. It even helps cut down the glare when those F150's pull up behind you with their headlights blazin'.

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT

The short answer is No, I do not find any visibilty issues with the window tint. As I mentioned, I tint the windows of all my cars. Now when I had my Eclipse, the front windows were 15%, and the rear windows were 5% limo tint...too dark. I am now so used to the window tints that I do not even notice them. In fact on the Mustang, I have bigger visibility issues with my ducktail than I do with the window tint. Plus on my Mustang, the top is usually down when I drive it. I have a few pics of my car witht he top up and the windows up, you can still easily see out through the windows, even at night. But in my opinion, they look good.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I paid $175 for five windows. With the 5% in the back and sides, it is hard to back out of parking spaces at night, so I need to roll down the windows so I don't hit a pedestrian.

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyppus
it is hard to back out of parking spaces at night, so I need to roll down the windows so I don't hit a pedestrian.
That is the type of thing I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks for sharing.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

PONY Member
S197 Member

I paid $135 for 5 windows. I don't remember the %. Definitely get the felt. Mine eventually scratched. Not immediately, but after you get some dust or dirt between the window and the plastic piece it will.

I got mine a a place called WaxWerx in Indy. Lifetime guarentee, but they try not to honor it. I thought I was going to get in a fight after taking it back in the get the rear window redone after finding bubbles and dirt between the tint and window. I will get the sides redone at probably Ziebart, they were about $20 more.

Ordered 4/26/05. Picked up June 11, 2005. 05 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 5spd, Performance White, with red accent leather (ICAP), Shaker 500, IUP, active alarm, side airbag, spoiler delete. MODS: Baltimore Street Mods 10' red stripes and red rocker stripe. window tint. K & N aircharger. Pony Package fender emblems. Added 18" Polished Alum. Bullitts Hurst comp shifter
Rookie

I paid $160 for mine at Tint World for 20% all the way around. They've done all my cars and have a lifetime warranty. It really makes the look of the car...

13 GT Base
12 ZX14r
12 Super Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page