To Race or Not to Race, THAT is the Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

To Race or Not to Race, THAT is the Question

Okay, my boyfriend's brother is driving me absolutely INSANE. I have a completely stock 06 GT, 5-spd. He has an '02 Chev Duramax diesel (extended cab and all that). Not knowing a whole lot about diesels, I know he's installed a 'box', upgraded his transmission and several other things. He's absolutely DYING to race my Mustang and it's driving HIM crazy that I won't. He knows I won't street race, so he keeps challenging me to take it to the track, which I keep turning him down. I mean, wtf! I'm pretty sure with all that he's done, he'd probably kick my butt...so what would be the point?? Just for him to sit back and say he can outrun a 'new' Mustang?! What do you all think?

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgrl99
Okay, my boyfriend's brother is driving me absolutely INSANE. I have a completely stock 06 GT, 5-spd. He has an '02 Chev Duramax diesel (extended cab and all that). Not knowing a whole lot about diesels, I know he's installed a 'box', upgraded his transmission and several other things. He's absolutely DYING to race my Mustang and it's driving HIM crazy that I won't. He knows I won't street race, so he keeps challenging me to take it to the track, which I keep turning him down. I mean, wtf! I'm pretty sure with all that he's done, he'd probably kick my butt...so what would be the point?? Just for him to sit back and say he can outrun a 'new' Mustang?! What do you all think?
Just go to the track. Who cares who wins (you will) but it's just a lot of fun! You be hooked for life. My wife and I race on the same drag team and we have so much fun. Try it!

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
Going to the track is fun, but do it because you want to. Don't let his childish, I have to have a better toy ego, make you do somethign you don't want to.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Go to the track if that's what YOU want to do. I have a friend that swears his PT Cruiser (Turbo) :hihi: will take me........I told him let's hit the track and he just chuckles.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Marcus GT Send a message via MSN to Marcus GT
I have a friend that Has a DuraMax that has a box and he is getting 600HP out of it. Its a 4x4 and he can smoke all 4 tires. Impressive. He also blew the front tranny with that power. Maybe you can take him up on the race and maybe he will blow his tranny too. Then you can laugh all the way to the finish line. Just be careful. Take it to the track and have fun. My bet is on him if he has the right box.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

2005 Mustang GT, Black w/ Dark Charcoal interior
IUP, Active-Anti Theft Alarm
Bright Aluminum Wheels w/Locks
Perma Plate, Window Tinting 35/20/5
Molded Splash Guards, Sequential Tail Lights
SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Front License Plate Delete
DFM
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
S197 Member

I'll throw the obligatory ricer comment in.

"You'd take him in the twisties!"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
S197 Member

I seen several diesel trucks that have been modded run into the 11s. Those guys had larger turbos, Bully Dog boxes, etc. Kinda funny watching a gazillion pound F350 dulie charging down the 1/4 belching huge plumes of black smoke. Ahhh.. Rednecks and their toys.

If he just has the tune, you should be able to take him rather easily. However, if challenges you to a tractor pull, don't bite.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006GT
However, if challenges you to a tractor pull, don't bite.

You have a sports car, have a little fun with it, race him.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Just remember, if you do beat him, dont gloat too much...I mean he is your boyrfriend's brother...oh heck...GLOAT!!!!

If you are comfortable with your car, take it to the track and do as they "let your hair down" and have some fun. Look at it this way, if you win...he shuts up...if he wins, so what, he needed a heaviy modded truck to beat your car...in either case, you find out what your car is capable of doing.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Practice your launch and you'll do just fine. Assuming you can shift.

GT with fanblades.
GT Member
S197 Member

its a big a$$ truck though, that weighs way over what your stang does. hes gonna need a lot of hp to beat you. hp per pound ratio sucks on a truck, especially one that big. plus, no way can it launch as hard either. (traction is a big problem with racing trucks because of the weight balance) unless he has just sunk in metric tons of $$$ into that truck, no way will he beat you. stock a duramax runs like an 18 sec 1/4 mile!!! he'd have to shave off 4 seconds just to hang with you. to down and out smoke you, add another second on top of that. it costs a lot of $$$ to shave 4 to 5 seconds off of a vehicle, especially a truck. go to the track and show him and his beloved "bowtie" what racing is all about... oh yes, and gloat unlike youve never gloated before...

ps - if you really do believe he may beat you, you can always slap on a 100 shot of N20 for about 600 bucks....that ought to even things up a bit...:hihi:

at any rate, whether i win or not, ill never back down from a challenge at the track...

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Okay, so I am thinking about this...or at least maybe having my Dad run him (he used to race a lot on the track with his Mustangs and stands a better shot of not burning the clutch out like I probably would - this is my first standard!).

Last night I asked Ross (the boyfriend) to explain to me what Joe's truck has. Hope this makes sense to someone! He basically has 2 boxes installed. One is a custom 350 version of a PPE. The other is a TFT Powermax. He also has electronic front locks, some sort of fast fuel setup and an ATF fully adjustable transmission. Even with the weight of the truck, I'm thinking that's more horses than I've got!

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Even if that thing has 600HP, it's still HEAVY. I really doubt it could beat you.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
S197 Member

A Duramax with a box that has a good tune can easily see 400 HP. I've never seen one with 600 HP w/ just a box though...

It is no uncommon to see a Duramax in the 13s, or even 12s. There are even a few running 10s in full street dress and full sheet metal.

He'll have traction too, with an upgraded tranny he can launch hard in 4WD.

I wouldn't count the truck out by any means... but keep us posted!

Craig
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch
Even if that thing has 600HP, it's still HEAVY. I really doubt it could beat you.
Like 2006GT said above, I've seen big old 1-ton crew cab dually 4X4's run low 11's with these boxes and trans tuners (and yeah, they look funny as all get out doing it). A stock 06 Mustang GT is good for 13.6 or so at best with stock street tires. That adds up to a good possibility that the truck could win.

Has he ever run the truck on the track before? If so, how did it do or would this be the first time for him also?

Either way, go ahead and hit the track just to have a great time.

BTW, my best time before the Flowmasters (I haven't been back since I put them on) was 13.678 seconds at 103.something MPH (without removing the spare and jack) and I'm a novice at drag racing. Dynoing it on a Mustang Dyno after the Flowmasters came in at 261HP and 275 TQ.

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page