How to increase Mileage? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Reducing weight will help fuel economy not to mention acceleration. Doubt that the return in fuel savings would ever equal the cost of light weight parts though. The lightweight aluminum driveshaft can only help along with the front sway bar/radiator support removal, tubular K member and the list goes on....

08 Corvette auto 10.88 @ 125.25 mph, 1.56 60'
06 Mustang 12.907 @ 104.87 mph, 1.959 60'
98 Camaro auto 10.76 @ 122.64 mph 1.44 60'
88 347 Mustang - 10.30 @ 127 mph, 1.36 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

maybe a tune would pay-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler.anderson
Hey I was thinking about getting a 2005+ GT or Cobra. I see that if people baby the GT's they can get about 26 mpg. What can you do to increase mileage in these for cheap. Off the top of my head I was thinking maybe get a K&N air filter, powerchip?, diff exhaust. If you get a few of these things to increase mileage could you bump it up to 30 mpg?

Thanks

P.S. Dont tell me you shouldn't be getting one if your worried about the mileage :hihi:

Hi Tyler, how many miles do you do annually? It really would have to be quite high for any of the mods to pay off. If you just want to lean out the mixture for economy purposes perhaps a tuning unit and an off-the-shelf tune would help but even then you can buy a lot of gas for $500. I'd be surprised if you see more than 1-2mpg improvement with CAI / tune - I don't see any with my GT because I make use of the better performance. Changing axel back exhausts will do little if anything for fuel economy. The greatest variable in gas mileage is driving style.

I'm a fairly low mileage user - ~7000 a year - and the way I look at it, I've already spent ~$30k of the car and depreciation is the highest cost of car ownership so I might as well enjoy every cent of it even at the expense of gas mileage. Guess what I'm saying is, I understand your desire to improve gas mileage, but just make sure the GT still puts a smile on your face when you "baby" it around :eyepoppin Oh, and don't think about a Supercharger.

06 GT Tungsten with quicksilver stripes, Prem with red interior, FSAB, stickshift. Lightning Performance 62mm TB, WMS CAI with Ram Air box, Kooks Long Tube headers, X-pipe and Magnaflow back system. Diablo Predator tuner. Tokico D-spec adjustable shocks, Eibach Sportline springs, BMR adj panhard. Stern ST-1 Beast 20" x 8.5" & 9.5" staggered wheels in Hyperblack with Nitto 555s, 255/35 & 275/35. 12" Phat antenna.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999_1
Hi Tyler, how many miles do you do annually? It really would have to be quite high for any of the mods to pay off. If you just want to lean out the mixture for economy purposes perhaps a tuning unit and an off-the-shelf tune would help but even then you can buy a lot of gas for $500. I'd be surprised if you see more than 1-2mpg improvement with CAI / tune - I don't see any with my GT because I make use of the better performance. Changing axel back exhausts will do little if anything for fuel economy. The greatest variable in gas mileage is driving style.

I'm a fairly low mileage user - ~7000 a year - and the way I look at it, I've already spent ~$30k of the car and depreciation is the highest cost of car ownership so I might as well enjoy every cent of it even at the expense of gas mileage. Guess what I'm saying is, I understand your desire to improve gas mileage, but just make sure the GT still puts a smile on your face when you "baby" it around :eyepoppin Oh, and don't think about a Supercharger.
I dont put alot of miles on a year. Probably in the range of 7,000 is all. Less when im done with school.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to thump_rrr
When my car was N/A with stock gears I was getting around 23 mpg highway. I installed the 4.10's and dropped to around 20mpg highway. I now have a Saleen S/C in the car and can't for the life of me get better than 18mpg highway. I don't drive 55 and would not be able to even if it gave me 100mpg. This is my 3rd vehicle but I still put 10,000 miles a year on it.
If you're going to drive it like a P***y to get better mileage don't bother getting one cause you'll be very disappointed. These cars put a smile on your face with power and not creature comforts and refined handling. (Putting flame retardent suit on as we speak)

05 White GT Premium 5 Sp. IUP, Active Alarm
BMR, C&L, Centerforce, Fidanza, FRPP, GI Joe, JBA, JDM Engineering, LPW, Saleen, SCT, Steeda, SOS

S/C 1.613 60'. 4.748 330', 7.332 @ 93.75mph 1/8th, 9.566 1000', 11.427 @ 119.92 1/4mile
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_rrr
When my car was N/A with stock gears I was getting around 23 mpg highway. I installed the 4.10's and dropped to around 20mpg highway. I now have a Saleen S/C in the car and can't for the life of me get better than 18mpg highway. I don't drive 55 and would not be able to even if it gave me 100mpg. This is my 3rd vehicle but I still put 10,000 miles a year on it.
If you're going to drive it like a P***y to get better mileage don't bother getting one cause you'll be very disappointed. These cars put a smile on your face with power and not creature comforts and refined handling. (Putting flame retardent suit on as we speak)
well yea I know im not getting it for mileage. I drive diff from day to day. If im in no hurry at all I drive 60 on a 55. And accelerate slow and so on. Then othertimes i drive the opposide.
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hell, mine is nearly bone stock, and I was getting 10 mpg around town last night. Shows how much fun I was having!
S197 Member

How accurate is the avg MPG it gives you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitystang
Nah, get a VW TDI bug, they get better....
Too true. I know this because I've driven one for a thousands of miles.

Also, it is to be noted that Mustangs are measured in SMILES per gallon. In this category, they are incredibly efficient.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMunchies?
Too true. I know this because I've driven one for a thousands of miles.

Also, it is to be noted that Mustangs are measured in SMILES per gallon. In this category, they are incredibly efficient.
My mom was going to get a volkswagon TD, but now she's leaning towards a impala because impalas are safer if you get hit. Plus she would probably put gas in the diesel.
S197 Member

I get about 21-22 with mine and it's mostly commuting. I don't baby the car, but I don't do burnouts either. Average speed is something like 33 mph. On the freeway I usually run between 70 and 80, and I accelerate with about 75% throttle but short shift unless I'm really in "fun mode". Most days the car never gets over 3,000 RPM. On fun days it hits 6,800.
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
I get about 21-22 with mine and it's mostly commuting. I don't baby the car, but I don't do burnouts either. Average speed is something like 33 mph. On the freeway I usually run between 70 and 80, and I accelerate with about 75% throttle but short shift unless I'm really in "fun mode". Most days the car never gets over 3,000 RPM. On fun days it hits 6,800.
You hit the nail on the head. Probably the biggest killer of MPG is RPM. BMW was the first company to endorse the wide throttle opening/low engine speed technique in the 80's. The problem with the Mustang is the higher you rev it the better it sounds.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
5.0L Member

i got a 94' cobra that gets 19 mpg in the city yes stop go stop go and i drive it hard it gets about 26 or better on the highway

[quote= The problem with the Mustang is the higher you rev it the better it sounds.[/quote]

lol- you got that right!

only- I wouldn't characterise that as a 'problem."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page