Must have mods? or modding for Dummies... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006 Thread Starter

Must have mods? or modding for Dummies...

As a newer owner, recently bitten by the bug- I've been trying to do a lot of research on modifying my new baby ('o6 GT Vert, auto)....

Well- I'm finding a lot of info- but I'm all over the place! I think if I had a $10K budget- it would be easy- but doing it in moderation is a lot harder!

So, I guess what Im looking for is a "Mod for Dummies" site or FAQ or something. Or, if others have put together a PLAN for their work- Id love to see it! Im trying to create a prioritized list. Perhaps starting with the "bolt-on" options- netting the best bang for buck.

What are your opinions on the "no-brainer" performance mods (if such things exist)?

For instance, I seem to see a general agreement on K&N filters as a cheap and easy upgrade.... but then again- their CAI kit looks solid too?

Ditto for things like re-programming the chip, slapping on Flowmasters, etc.

Has anyone found or created a comprehensive shopping list?

(the only thing I've changed so far in the license plate holder) :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006
S197 Member

CAI and tuner should be the first mod. You will turn the car into what is "should" have been with this. I do not recommend getting one from a supply house. Buy one from a "tuner" with a reputation. After reading here a bit (use search function) names will stand out.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

I recommend establishing goal(s) first or you will find yourself spending money on something you don't need or didn't give you the results you wanted.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT

PowerHouse: Turbo & Chassis/Suspension
Fox Lake: Short Block & Heads
Complete Mod List: See my WWW homepage

Brad

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you want only mods that increase power and driveability, don't waste your money on aftermarket mufflers.

Also, go to the V6 tech forum (this is the V8 forum) to get V6 answers from informed V6 owners. You stand a chance of getting a little misinformation in here, since we're all mostly V8 guys. Good luck!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
Also, go to the V6 tech forum (this is the V8 forum) to get V6 answers from informed V6 owners. You stand a chance of getting a little misinformation in here, since we're all mostly V8 guys. Good luck!
First line he says he has an '06 GT vert....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006
4.6L Member
S197 Member

OOOPS! My bad..... dyslexia strikes again!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
OOOPS! My bad..... dyslexia strikes again!
damn! I thought I was getting sent down to the "minors" on my first post! :-)

-no offense v6-guys
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowepg
damn! I thought I was getting sent down to the "minors" on my first post! :-)

-no offense v6-guys
No. The only way you will get sent down is if you ask questions about hydraulics or spinners. :blowingup:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig4Fun
CAI and tuner should be the first mod. You will turn the car into what is "should" have been with this. I do not recommend getting one from a supply house. Buy one from a "tuner" with a reputation. After reading here a bit (use search function) names will stand out.
Yup- I was leaning towards that..... plus it has the bonus of looking like something I can do myself....

I've heard good things about densecharger- but cant find any places that sell them (and the densecharger website is down). So- I'm leaning towards K&N.

Thanks for your input!
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
No. The only way you will get sent down is if you ask questions about hydraulics or spinners. :blowingup:
Or any LED lighting products (inside or out)

1965 Mustang Coupe
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Does that mean that Neon lighting is acceptable? I saw a lighted exhaust tip recently that was pretty amazing looking- kinda like flames (or not!).
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Does that mean that Neon lighting is acceptable? I saw a lighted exhaust tip recently that was pretty amazing looking- kinda like flames (or not!).
Yeah, I'm afraid I have to stick with that blanket statement for all unusual lighting. I'm just not hip enough I guess.

1965 Mustang Coupe
S197 Member

Must have mods are a CAI and good tune, offroad x or h pipe... and an axle back exhaust.

Craig
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin1
I recommend establishing goal(s) first or you will find yourself spending money on something you don't need or didn't give you the results you wanted.
I've checked out your webpage. Wow! What are you running, low elevens, high tens? And... Go Steelers!

1965 Mustang Coupe
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
I've checked out your webpage. Wow! What are you running, low elevens, high tens? And... Go Steelers!
Lol thanks. The car is good for high tens, the driver (*cough* me *cough*) however is only good for mid-to-high 11s for now. I've had it up to 123MPH so the ET is there. The clutch is causing me greif and we are still trying to get it sorted out. It's either fry the stock one or have power shift issue with RAM one.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT

PowerHouse: Turbo & Chassis/Suspension
Fox Lake: Short Block & Heads
Complete Mod List: See my WWW homepage

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page