Yes, another Hurst shifter thread - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
No, believe me- I am not babying it. I cannot just jam through the gears- it takes about 1/2 second from intial shifter movement to gear sync, which IMO, is way too long for a modern transmission. The harder I push, the longer it seems to take....
I used to have the feeling like I had to wait for the sync, also about 1/2 a second. But I have found that I can shift right 'through' the sync and get right in, as fast as I can shift. This effect is more noticable at high RPMS. In fact, that's the only time I'm trying to shift that fast, when he RPMs are above 6000.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Well, I crawled underneath the car (again), removed the plastic bushings, then cleaned and re-lubed them with a lot more grease this time. I then cleaned the threads and nut on the transmission linkage, applied heavy duty Locktite, and only tightened the nut "snugly" (snuggly?). It is shifting better now, but I am still not happy with it. Maybe I'll send it back. Hard to believe it's the shifter, though- all this shifter does is move the one linkage rod back-and-forth while rotating it, and just about any assembly is capable of doing that. I'm thinking its the transmission. More to come later....
I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but you mentioned removing and lubing the bushings. Does the Hurst by chance use the stock Ford plastic bushings that original stud passes through? I have a Saleen shifter which does use the stock bushings. But whereas the stud slips easily into the original shifter and moves very freely, the bushings fit much more tightly in the Saleen and it is much more difficult to push the stud through. Once the stud passes through it is extremely tight and shift action is very stiff. At first I thought I had overtightened the nut on the stud but after thinking about it some came to the realization that the hole in which the bushings fit is too small, thus pinching the stud. I removed the Saleen and dremeled the hole larger. Mine is significantly easier to shift now, though I'm going to ream it one more time to free it up completely. So, my question to you is: does the stud slide easily through the bushings or is it a pretty tight press fit?

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sohc
I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but you mentioned removing and lubing the bushings. Does the Hurst by chance use the stock Ford plastic bushings that original stud passes through? I have a Saleen shifter which does use the stock bushings. But whereas the stud slips easily into the original shifter and moves very freely, the bushings fit much more tightly in the Saleen and it is much more difficult to push the stud through. Once the stud passes through it is extremely tight and shift action is very stiff. At first I thought I had overtightened the nut on the stud but after thinking about it some came to the realization that the hole in which the bushings fit is too small, thus pinching the stud. I removed the Saleen and dremeled the hole larger. Mine is significantly easier to shift now, though I'm going to ream it one more time to free it up completely. So, my question to you is: does the stud slide easily through the bushings or is it a pretty tight press fit?
Yes, the Hurst uses the factory plastic bushings, and they slide in with light finger pressure. Everything fits together very nicely with no slop or binding of any kind (none!). I had a friend drive the car today,and he says that I am imagining things- he thinks my trans shift just fine. I am going to take a new 07 out for a "test drive" next week to have something to compare it with. Chances are, I am just used to shifting really wimpy transmissions that flick in and out of gear with much effort at all. The Hurst definately has not helped with the "heaviness" of the shifting in this trans.

Another thing I was wondering, since I cannot get Hurst Tech people on the phone (gave up after 2 calls with a 30 minute wait each time)- is tehre supposed to be a little bit of vertical play in the shifter? Mine has a little (tiny) bit. I do not know if this is normal, since Hurst's "Knowledge Base" is conveniently absent of most problems encountered with shifter installations- it is mostly just which application for which trans type of questions. I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully they will write back. The good thing is that I nave no vibration or noise at all with the unit.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
I used to have the feeling like I had to wait for the sync, also about 1/2 a second. But I have found that I can shift right 'through' the sync and get right in, as fast as I can shift. This effect is more noticable at high RPMS. In fact, that's the only time I'm trying to shift that fast, when he RPMs are above 6000.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this complaint. I remember driving a 289 AC Cobra with a Ford tranny that I had no problem at all shifting quickly, and it had a Hurst shifter too! It was not notchy at all.

I took the car out again, and I am learning how to shift it faster- it seems like you have to pre-load the shifter a little prior to clutch disengagement. Timing seems to be everything- not a very forgiving tranny! But I am getting better.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this complaint. I remember driving a 289 AC Cobra with a Ford tranny that I had no problem at all shifting quickly, and it had a Hurst shifter too! It was not notchy at all.

I took the car out again, and I am learning how to shift it faster- it seems like you have to pre-load the shifter a little prior to clutch disengagement. Timing seems to be everything- not a very forgiving tranny! But I am getting better.
I think practice makes perfect. I was playing around last night with this topic in mind and I noticed, again, that the higher the RPMs during the shift the less I noticed the 'sync delay' and the more easily I could shift right through it.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have come to the conclusion that the only thing wrong with my car is the tune.

The only reason it is taking so long for my gears to sync up is because the rpm hangs forever when I release the throttle. If I match revs on the downshift, it DOES shift like butter as fast I want to shift. While shifting at about 5500 RPM, the RPM hangs there during the shift, and you can hear the syncros trying to get everything synchronized. I plan on finding someone that can create a tune that eliminates the throttle hang-up and that will provide me with engine braking. You know, like a real engine...

Why in the world would anyone create a performance tune that allows the engine RPM to hang up like this?

Basic car stuff: Floor the pedal= GO FAST. Release the gas pedal= SLOW DOWN.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that the only thing wrong with my car is the tune.

The only reason it is taking so long for my gears to sync up is because the rpm hangs forever when I release the throttle. If I match revs on the downshift, it DOES shift like butter as fast I want to shift. While shifting at about 5500 RPM, the RPM hangs there during the shift, and you can hear the syncros trying to get everything synchronized. I plan on finding someone that can create a tune that eliminates the throttle hang-up and that will provide me with engine braking. You know, like a real engine...

Why in the world would anyone create a performance tune that allows the engine RPM to hang up like this?

I had the same deceleration problem on a previous canned tune. With the dyno tune, the deceleration lag is almost gone. Not as positive as a throttle cable, but way better than it was.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I am VERY glad to hear that this problem can be solved- my C&L tune SUCKS the brown starfish.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Those are my sentiments also. I worked with Doug at BamaChips (there is no tuner person or dyno where I live) until the lag was eliminated and I got the engine brake I was looking for.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page