Yes, another Hurst shifter thread - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yes, another Hurst shifter thread

I searched the threads, and didn't find a whole lot on this one:

I installed the Hurst shifter, and while it is nice and positive shifting around town, just cruising around, when I want to shift through the gears quickly, it simply WON'T. There is no binding, no grinding.

Installation was double-checked- everything installed correctly.

When I try to move up through the gears quickly, no matter how much pressure I apply to the shifter, the gears take forever to mesh/engage. It's horrible, and I cannot imagine trying to drag race with it. The stock shifter actually moved the gears quicker!

Is there something wrong with mine, or is this tremec trans just a slow-shifting mutha? I'm talking about a full second to change a gear!!! Have I been driving transaxles too long?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006
S197 Member

I read it but, I better keep my mouth shut ! I have been know to be very opinionated about shifters...

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig4Fun
I read it but, I better keep my mouth shut ! I have been know to be very opinionated about shifters...
Come on Gig... Tell us again about the Pro 5.0.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Come on Gig... Tell us again about the Pro 5.0.
I would LOVE TO but I think I will get flogged if I do!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

C'mon guys- give it up. Have I been duped with this Hurst? If this truly is the way these things are supposed to work, then it is a real POS. My rabbit diesel shifted about 8 times faster than this thing.

All I want to know is: Is this the way it is, or is something wrong with mine?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
C'mon guys- give it up. Have I been duped with this Hurst? If this truly is the way these things are supposed to work, then it is a real POS. My rabbit diesel shifted about 8 times faster than this thing.

All I want to know is: Is this the way it is, or is something wrong with mine?
I don't have the same problem. Shifts are a lot firmer than stock and a lot more positive into 3rd than before. It is a bit notchy, but I'm used to it now. I do wish it had stops like the 5.0.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

So, you are able to shift quickly into gears with the Hurst?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
So, you are able to shift quickly into gears with the Hurst?
Yes, especially since the throw is almost 3 inches shorter.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Is the rapid shifting at higher RPMs?

My Hurst works perfectly at shifting rapidly, however I do tend to mishift more if I am near 6000 RPMs...

Faulty shifter is my best guess!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well, I crawled underneath the car (again), removed the plastic bushings, then cleaned and re-lubed them with a lot more grease this time. I then cleaned the threads and nut on the transmission linkage, applied heavy duty Locktite, and only tightened the nut "snugly" (snuggly?). It is shifting better now, but I am still not happy with it. Maybe I'll send it back. Hard to believe it's the shifter, though- all this shifter does is move the one linkage rod back-and-forth while rotating it, and just about any assembly is capable of doing that. I'm thinking its the transmission. More to come later....
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Yes, especially since the throw is almost 3 inches shorter.
IMHO, shift throw distance has little to do with shifting speed. A 9 inch throw that has no resistance will shift faster than a 3 inch throw with a lot of resistance.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggire
Is the rapid shifting at higher RPMs?

My Hurst works perfectly at shifting rapidly, however I do tend to mishift more if I am near 6000 RPMs...

Faulty shifter is my best guess!
I am not getting any mis-shifts. The gates seem to be fine, just slow engagement regardless of rpm.
GT Member
S197 Member

I power shift (or a near power shift) mine at the drag strip. I can shift as fast as I can and it easily goes into gear. I shift fast enough where I can lay a good long patch in 2nd gear and a decent one in third.

Are you babying it? Can you just jam through the gears or won't they let you in at all until they sync? How long is the sync?

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
S197 Member

I think maybe there's something wrong with your unit. I've had nothing but a positive experience with mine, so I'm pretty sure the parts not a POS, (although it may just not be what you were looking for). After I installed mine, it took a short while to master the extra effort required, but once I mastered that and practiced syncing my clutch foot up with the faster shifts, there is a noticeable increase in the speed with which I can move thru the gears - this translates into a bigger fun factor on highway onramps for me (I don't race), though one guy in a previous thread mentions better ETs at the track too.

That being said, based on the specs I've seen and some compelling argument from Gig4fun, this is NOT the best unit available. I think its got good value for looks and snappier around town shifting - but, as Gig4fun will tell you, for serious applications, its probably better to spend the extra $ and get one of the other ones.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
I power shift (or a near power shift) mine at the drag strip. I can shift as fast as I can and it easily goes into gear. I shift fast enough where I can lay a good long patch in 2nd gear and a decent one in third.

Are you babying it? Can you just jam through the gears or won't they let you in at all until they sync? How long is the sync?
No, believe me- I am not babying it. I cannot just jam through the gears- it takes about 1/2 second from intial shifter movement to gear sync, which IMO, is way too long for a modern transmission. The harder I push, the longer it seems to take....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page