Anyone running cutouts or sidepipes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006 Thread Starter

Anyone running cutouts or sidepipes?

I was thinking about putting some cutouts on after the cats to get some more volume out of the stang. How does it sound? I was also wondering if anybody makes sidepipes for the new mustang other than Cervini? Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99ta
I was thinking about putting some cutouts on after the cats to get some more volume out of the stang. How does it sound? I was also wondering if anybody makes sidepipes for the new mustang other than Cervini? Thanks..
I ran electric cutouts on a previous ride. Good for the strip. Bad for the street. Actually lost gas mileage. Plus it's really not a good sound for around town. If you want loud, go with a set of SLP Loudmouths.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Go for the exhaust cut offs.

I have a pair of QTP electric exhaust cut offs with the optional digital control on my 05 GT coupe.I love them, i should have left the stock exhaust on,but i replaced it with Magna Flow,then got exhaust cut offs.I wasted money on cat back exhaust,could have bought & had installed for less than Magna Flow exhaust.You can get any sound you want with this set up, 0% upto 100% open & anywhere in between .Your car can sound like any aftermarket muffler offered,with the OEM ones left on.You should here mine, i have a Kenne Bell 2.6L blower when my cut offs are fully open i set of car alarms with the concussion of noise & power.They are all stainless so you will need a good welder to install them.Hell no one these days know what cut offs are.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Run
I have a pair of QTP electric exhaust cut offs with the optional digital control on my 05 GT coupe.I love them, i should have left the stock exhaust on,but i replaced it with Magna Flow,then got exhaust cut offs.I wasted money on cat back exhaust,could have bought & had installed for less than Magna Flow exhaust.You can get any sound you want with this set up, 0% upto 100% open & anywhere in between .Your car can sound like any aftermarket muffler offered,with the OEM ones left on.You should here mine, i have a Kenne Bell 2.6L blower when my cut offs are fully open i set of car alarms with the concussion of noise & power.They are all stainless so you will need a good welder to install them.Hell no one these days know what cut offs are.
I was interested in getting those myself. Is the amount of cutout variable? It appeared from what I could find that it was set somewhere between fully opened and fully closed. How low does it hang? I showed it to my local muffler shop, whose ownere also happens to own a GT and is very familiar with them, and his thoughts were that once you angled the cutoffs down away from the underside of the car, they'd be very low to the ground and vulnerable to damage.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

As sensitive as these cars are to flow I would suspect that you would have to reflash your EEC every time you opened and then closed your cutouts. Might be more trouble than what little they are worth.

08 Corvette auto 10.88 @ 125.25 mph, 1.56 60'
06 Mustang 12.907 @ 104.87 mph, 1.959 60'
98 Camaro auto 10.76 @ 122.64 mph 1.44 60'
88 347 Mustang - 10.30 @ 127 mph, 1.36 60'
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006 Thread Starter

I've been using cutouts on my car for years.. Right now, I have no mufflers on my stang.. just pipes where the muffler use to be.. I was wanting something louder so I was looking into getting some cutouts.. I don't think the car is that loud now.. Try driving around with a cutout in the intermediate pipe of an f-body.. That is loud... Could you possibly post a sound clip of the cutout wide open? I would appreciate it.. Thanks..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99ta
Here's a video of my friends 05 with cut out.

The blue 05

Saleen S/C, 4R70W Trans, 3:73 gears, 3200 stall PI, GT500 fuel pump, JBA Shorty headers.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

exhaust cut offs

Clearance is not an issue,you don,t turn them down at 45.Mine are just 1/4 " lower than the exhaust.You don,t have to re flash your ecu.You can set them to any degree of of open you want.Install them just behind the cats.Any other takers??
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
S197 Member

I'm game

Whose did you buy, and do you have a link?

Got pics of the installs?
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Run
You don,t have to re flash your ecu.You can set them to any degree of of open you want.Install them just behind the cats.Any other takers??
If you don't have to reflash the computer then there must not be any significant flow gain. No point in having cutouts. Unless all you want is noise. These EEC's on our cars are so sensitive to flow gains.

08 Corvette auto 10.88 @ 125.25 mph, 1.56 60'
06 Mustang 12.907 @ 104.87 mph, 1.959 60'
98 Camaro auto 10.76 @ 122.64 mph 1.44 60'
88 347 Mustang - 10.30 @ 127 mph, 1.36 60'
Apprentice
S197 Member

Re exhaust cut offs we address

The idea of these is to have as little engine volume or as much as you want.Heat is a product of combustion,get rid of it asap,let things breath better,why do race cars run headers only?Here is the web address www.quicktimeperformance.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page