Is the gas mileage reading correct? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Don't disconnect the negative, disconnect the positive. The negative is the ground to chassis to the battery. Never disconnect the ground with the positive still connected.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak03
Don't disconnect the negative, disconnect the positive. The negative is the ground to chassis to the battery. Never disconnect the ground with the positive still connected.
+1 thats how I do it also

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoStang
What's with the BS about disconnecting the battery? You can reset the average MPG with the reset button!!!

I reset it every time I fill up.
We weren't talking about the trip computer, but rather resetting the PCM.

1965 Mustang Coupe

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak03
What is the actual risk of disconnecting the negative? Sending a spike through the electrical system or frying the battery? Guess I need to change my procedures.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Rookie

I get 19 no matter what, high 19's on the highway...low 19's around town...

13 GT Base
12 ZX14r
12 Super Tenere
PONY Member
S197 Member

The computer is pretty darn close most of the time. I usually compare my gallons used versus what I really put in and most of the time it's within a few tenths. I usually get 19 around town and if I have much highway driving it goes up to low 20's as a weekly average. I've taken a couple of trips, one east of Denver and got 26.5 and the other west of Denver and got 26 (that was driving through South Park at around 90 for some 40 miles). Most driving in the mountains I've gotten low 20's. My wifes V6 gets a little worse in the mountains but alot better on the open road.

06 GT Legend Lime, Konig Beyonds, Hurst, JBA, Steeda stuff, MAC CAI, Sniper tuned, LT's, catted H pipe, VIS Racing CF heat extractor hood, Tokico D-Specs, Silver Horse Racing, LLR #0174

08 GT Performance White, Konig Beyonds, Legend Lime accents.
Apprentice
S197 Member

food for thought.
1000 gallons of gas = 17,290 miles.
17.29 mph.
i just noticed this the other day when i filled the tank.

2005 Mustang GT Premium, IUP,5 Speed,Bullitt's,
Dark Charcoal Int. Shaker500 (B), Active Anti Theft
Wheel Locks / Build 9\18\2004
SLP Loudmouths / Sequential Tail Lights/Hurst Shifter
H/C Trap Removed / Legendary Limer 0008
7/2009 Shorty Headers/Prothane mounts/UPR lower control arm's/Driveshaft Shop's One piece shaft
13th Annual New England FFW Nationals U/S Winner!
Apprentice

Gas mileage 2005 GT

I noticed lately that the avg MPG has been between 22 and as low as 14, were it use to hold at around 22, no difference in driving style.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'm getting 15.8 so far....i guess I'm a little more 'lead footed' than I thought.

2006 Black GTA Premium Vert

Mods:
JLT CAI/Bama 93 race Tune/ Taillight trim/Trunk Letters/painted calipers/CDC Classic Chin Spoiler/Ford Exhaust Tips/Pony emblems/Sequential Taillights
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

We took short trip this morning and the readout said 27.1 mpg in the GT.Cruise was set at 72mph.My new 06' Freestyle AWD is right 25mpg average.The daughters 06' Focus has the best fuel economy at 38mph.My wifes 04' Tuarus(DOHC) is 28-32 with in town/hiway driving average.

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I average 21.8 or higher around town (5-spd) and 25+ highway.

Here's a question, though. Does anyone feel like the speedometer isn't right?? I don't have a lead foot, but at the same time, I ain't granny, either! I can be driving down the freeway at around 70+ (in a 55) and STILL get passed by soccermom vans and granny Taurus'. What gives?? I had it checked at the dealer and they said it's right on. However, if I set the cruise at 70 and reset the gauge for mph, it jumps to 68, then settles to about 67. So it seems I might be around 3 miles off?? Is that accurate?

One other note. My Shaker 500 quit a couple of weekends ago. Just no power, nada. For about 2 days, no radio. I pulled the fuse from the passenger side, it was fine. Pulled the fuse from under the hood, it was fine. But after reseating both of those...voila. Radio now works. It also saved my presets, but I had to reset the treb/bass, rdc, etc. Any ideas on what caused this? I have an appt this week to drop it off to check the radio and a couple of other minor things.

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgrl99
I average 21.8 or higher around town (5-spd) and 25+ highway.

Here's a question, though. Does anyone feel like the speedometer isn't right?? I don't have a lead foot, but at the same time, I ain't granny, either! I can be driving down the freeway at around 70+ (in a 55) and STILL get passed by soccermom vans and granny Taurus'. What gives?? I had it checked at the dealer and they said it's right on. However, if I set the cruise at 70 and reset the gauge for mph, it jumps to 68, then settles to about 67. So it seems I might be around 3 miles off?? Is that accurate?

One other note. My Shaker 500 quit a couple of weekends ago. Just no power, nada. For about 2 days, no radio. I pulled the fuse from the passenger side, it was fine. Pulled the fuse from under the hood, it was fine. But after reseating both of those...voila. Radio now works. It also saved my presets, but I had to reset the treb/bass, rdc, etc. Any ideas on what caused this? I have an appt this week to drop it off to check the radio and a couple of other minor things.
I have a GPS system in my car and it displays the vehicle's speed and it indeed indicates that my speedo is off about three mph
S197 Member

Fuel Mileage

I have checked mine at diffrent times.I get 22.4 Mpg all the time unless on the highway and it get 27Mpg at cruise.
Rookie

I reset my display with every fill-up. I average 18.5 to 18.9, which is some city and some highway back/forth to work. Yes, I do stand on the throttle quite a bit. The car gets 25+ straight highway. Our (GTs) mileage is not good, until you remember what kind of power we have. Think of it this way, my GT gets slightly better mileage than my wife's minivan.

2006 GT Premium Coupe, Black, 5 Speed, STL
PONY Member
S197 Member

I get about 16 mpg with only city driving. I reset it with each fill up, and am pretty sure the reading is correct. I didn't buy a GT for good gas mileage. However, the GT does do better than the Porsche I had set up (12 mpg).

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page