Why is the Rear View Mirror in the Middle of the Windshield? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
S197 Member

Damn.. 6'8.. you missed your calling dude, should've been a basketball player. As for the mirror, I took note of it yesterday after reading this thread and it does look like its mounted a little low on the windsheild, but then again it's mean for normal sized ppl I guess... not giants like yourself lol. Works great for me, I'm only 5'8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

You could always have the seat pan removed, chopped and reinstalled. The power seat should still go high enough to compensate up for "normal sized" folks later on...

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot250
You could always have the seat pan removed, chopped and reinstalled. The power seat should still go high enough to compensate up for "normal sized" folks later on...
Yeah, that's an idea. We could make a kit for the taller people... Shorter bushings. call them Wilt-Stilts or something.

And the kit for short people could be the Lilliputian-Special. You could paint the cubical, seat-raising bushings to look like tiny, little phonebooks.

For those of you not familiar with Lilliput, it was where Gulliver (of Gulliver's travels fame) was tied to the ground, while he slept, by tiny men. Not that anyone but me remembers that kind of crap.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack
Ok, I remembered to try it on the Mustang. Here's a picture of what it looks like if you carefully turn the mirror over. It slips right into that position, as though it was meant to be there. Even fits the shape of the light fixture thingy [if I'm getting too technical for anybody, speak right up... there is no limit to my capacity to "dumb it down")

Muy bueno!!! (that's mexican for "me likey!") Boy, there I go, insulting the Mexicans... Lord, I apologize and be with the pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.
That's the solution!!! I thought you meant unbolting or unscrewing the mirror and turning it over. You just meant rotate the mirror on it's mount!! Duh!

Now the mirror is where it should be (for me) and I'm not constantly trying to look around it.

Thanks, JetBlack!!

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Gee, I can not even share this problem, first I have a convertible, and my only vison problem with the rear view mirror is my ducktail sucks up a good protion of my rear view. Plus I always have the top down so vision all around is pretty good. Lastly, I am on the shorter side, I am only 5'10", and yes, I do have the seat all the down and back (long legs), but I do not have any isuues with the mirror in the Stang (i.e. I do not have the overhead lights, no problem there). Now I must agree, on my F-150, I find the mirror angle compared to the seating postion to be odd, but noissues with any of my mirror on the Stang.
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Never had a problem at 5'5.

As a matter of fact, an added bonus to my predicament is the fact that, I can always pull one of a million phone numbers from the bottom of my seat any time I am driving...

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
That's the solution!!! I thought you meant unbolting or unscrewing the mirror and turning it over. You just meant rotate the mirror on it's mount!! Duh!

Now the mirror is where it should be (for me) and I'm not constantly trying to look around it.

Thanks, JetBlack!!
No problem I like it better that way. It actually seems to fit the dome-light box better, upside down.

Ford never consults me.

I always wanted to make a little mirror periscope, for my truck, so when it's loaded down with firewood or whatever, I could look at the mirror location and it would really be a wide, periscope that looked up over the top of the rig. But nowadays, for about $60 I could just order an all-weather camera from Harbor Freight Tools and mount the camera under my rear bumper and put a "Pimp My Ride" monitor on the dash. Pretty blingy for taking garbage to the landfill though.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
Does anyone else think the mirror is mouted way too low? Granted, I'm pretty tall, but geez, it seems like it's in the middle of the windshield. Yesterday, I almost got into a wreck because it totally covered up a car I didn't know was there.

Does anyone have any experience moving the rear view mirror or remounting it? I need to make mine much higher.
Same has happened to me several times, especially when I'm at a stop sign and a car is stopped to my right. Almost t-boned several cars. I don't like my seat reclined much. I'm 6'2". I guess I just have to remember to be extra careful.

06 GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Auto, IUP
Mods: Midwest Auto Gear Engine Plenum Cover, Sequential Taillights, Demolet Tunable CAI & SCT Tune, CDC Quarter Window Louvers, Billett Aluminum Interior Items, 8" Shorty Antenna, Powder Coated Valve Covers, Braided Hoses, Flowmaster AT, California Dreamin' Hood, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Honeycomb Rear Decklid Blackout Panel, 35% Window Tints, SHR Lower Grill Inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page