Why is the Rear View Mirror in the Middle of the Windshield? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Why is the Rear View Mirror in the Middle of the Windshield?

Does anyone else think the mirror is mouted way too low? Granted, I'm pretty tall, but geez, it seems like it's in the middle of the windshield. Yesterday, I almost got into a wreck because it totally covered up a car I didn't know was there.

Does anyone have any experience moving the rear view mirror or remounting it? I need to make mine much higher.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to AFStang
Mmm, can't say I've ever had a problem with it, but I'm not the largest man by any means...

*2005 Mustang GT- Torch Red, IUP, Shaker 500, MyColor, JLT II CAI w/Brenspeed Tune, SLP L/M's, BBK T/B, Steeda UDPs, Shaker hood, B2 hood/pins,18x9.5 GT500 replicas, CDC Chin Spoiler, Roush 1/4 window louvers, 8" antenna, honeycomb blackout, MWA mirror covers, Sequential TL's, black LED projector H/L's, H/L splitters, Ducktail, Hurst equipped....

*1969 Camaro SS with 454

2000 Camaro Z-28, heavily modified
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
Does anyone else think the mirror is mouted way too low? Granted, I'm pretty tall, but geez, it seems like it's in the middle of the windshield. Yesterday, I almost got into a wreck because it totally covered up a car I didn't know was there.

Does anyone have any experience moving the rear view mirror or remounting it? I need to make mine much higher.
This may seem dumb but have you lowered the seat?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

lol. thats what i was thinking. im 6"2 and i have never had a problem. and yes i am big by all means. i dont think remounting the mirror will do it any justice. i tried to do that a couple times before and it just never stays like it should. im always worried its gunna drop off. may i recomend phone books??

2006 GT....White On Black.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoNomyk
This may seem dumb but have you lowered the seat?
I'm 6'8", the seat is all the way down and all the way back. But my head is not hitting the roof, the mirroe just seems too high for me, but that's what I get for being freak size.

(6'8" = 5'20" --- 5Twenty....get it?)

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
Apprentice

I am 6' 1 1/2", so not quite as tall as some of you guys, but I was able to adjust the mirror to where it almost touches the upper light console above it. Helped some, but most vehicles these days have overly large rear morrors. I hate my wife's '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee's rear mirror and the seating position suck for tall people. They are designing way too many cars for women verses the taller designs of yor. Oh well....

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

5-11 and no probs... mirror is maybe too high... uhh... just for me to fit the emergencylight bar above it.... but honestlt don't think they could mount it much higher without showing the celing or wierd angles...??

PS. Moving this to the talk section...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
I'm 6'8", the seat is all the way down and all the way back. But my head is not hitting the roof, the mirroe just seems too high for me, but that's what I get for being freak size.

(6'8" = 5'20" --- 5Twenty....get it?)
no way...thats the meaning behind the screenname? thats pretty good...talk about thought goin into it...you have got to post a pic of you in the stang...i'm 6'2 and people tell me i'm too tall for it...but my brother is 6'7 and he fits next to me fine..i havent let him in the drivers seat yet though..so i'd love to see a pic
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Yeah, 6'2" here also. I too have the seat all the way down and significantly back.

On my truck, when the mirror fell off, I re-located it to a much higher position on the windscreen. *MUCH* better. I totally recommend moving it up but like someone else just said, it never holds quite as well. Before doing that, I turned the mirror over, so the attachment was at the bottom and then adjusted the double hinge thingy to lay the mirror very close to the windshield and up higher. I never use the dimmer dealie anyway so I don't miss that it's now on top .

Does anyone else have problems with the side mirrors blocking your view of things like curbs? I have never driven a car with so little view of the things to your side. Still better than anything else though But the Taurus had bright lights that lit up, on the side of the car, when you activated the blinkers. Totally illuminated the way to the turn you are about to make. I miss that feature, even if I don't miss the car [it's parked at the curb].

Those Mustang side mirrors are huge.

Like Will Smith's ears, they stick out.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Rear view is fine, I have it up almost as high as it'll go, but I agree on the gigantic side mirrors. They're too tall and mounted too high. It feels dangerous at crosswallks and side streets sometimes. I think it's because of the high sill and dash. Even the city sticker creates a blind spot on this car. Any decent aftermarket side mirrors?

GT with fanblades.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Ok, I remembered to try it on the Mustang. Here's a picture of what it looks like if you carefully turn the mirror over. It slips right into that position, as though it was meant to be there. Even fits the shape of the light fixture thingy [if I'm getting too technical for anybody, speak right up... there is no limit to my capacity to "dumb it down")

Muy bueno!!! (that's mexican for "me likey!") Boy, there I go, insulting the Mexicans... Lord, I apologize and be with the pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	higher mirror.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	19569  

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Uhhh.... you did what...???

There are no smaller side mirrors, I have looked high and low... CDC had a set on their demo car but desided not to make them as they were too expensive to make in regards to what they thought they could sell...?!!? They were kinda Testarossa looking...!! Two arms, sleek, and slim!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
PONY Member
S197 Member

Poor 20, see i think the phone books are your best answer. its free, and no one will ever no you have them. except me

2006 GT....White On Black.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack
Ok, I remembered to try it on the Mustang. Here's a picture of what it looks like if you carefully turn the mirror over. It slips right into that position, as though it was meant to be there. Even fits the shape of the light fixture thingy [if I'm getting too technical for anybody, speak right up... there is no limit to my capacity to "dumb it down")

Muy bueno!!! (that's mexican for "me likey!") Boy, there I go, insulting the Mexicans... Lord, I apologize and be with the pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.
Thanks JetBlack. That looks like the solution, I'll try that.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr
no way...thats the meaning behind the screenname? thats pretty good...talk about thought goin into it...you have got to post a pic of you in the stang...i'm 6'2 and people tell me i'm too tall for it...but my brother is 6'7 and he fits next to me fine..i havent let him in the drivers seat yet though..so i'd love to see a pic
I got it from a girl I met online, 5Twelve. She rocked. For a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page