470 RWHP Supercharger - Vortech and Alcohol Performance Kit - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

470 RWHP Supercharger - Vortech and Alcohol Performance Kit

Tuner near my house is selling a Supercharger upgrade with a Alcohol Performance Kit that advertises 470+ RWHP. Short summary below:

Vortech equipped Mustang is not only safer then true hardware intercooling, but has the potential to make even more power overall than an intercooler upgrade on the centrifugals. We canít stress enough that with a Alcohol kit you basically get 2 big upgrades out of the deal. First a big drop in inlet temp thatís not affected by intercooler hardware heat saturation, and second a big jump in octane. A third advantage comes from Alcohol kits: it can take over where your old fuel system falls off and allow more boost and RWHP without having to go to bigger fuel injectors or other fuel system upgrades in many cases.

Does anybody else have a supercharger with alcohol injection? Any feedback, likes or dislikes?

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
The second and third points would be perfectly valid if you had an injection setup with a large enough pump and injector. The Snow kits are nowhere near big enough to bump octane enough to extend the limits of your fuel system and what if you run out of alcohol in the middle of a high boost, high RPM run...KABOOM!!!!!! Those kits were designed for a dragstrip use, not street use on a regular basis, the reservoirs are just too small.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I 2nd that!

Yes, they make more power as they add to the burn (fuel/oxygen) but you're stuck in the N2O pit... making sure it's filled, filling it, and still worrying about it... plus as my colegue above said, what if you run out, what if a line or nossle get clogged under high boost...?? Yea, KABOOOM!

Anybody that want a safe moderately fast car built on the stock block can go with the uncooled system, just make sure you have a VERY SAFE tune, let's say 1;11.5 under peak boost.

The quote above seems to be more aimed at the guys running the older style Vortechs, when a cooler was not avail or a separate part, and pricey at that.

Even so I got a cooler because it makes me feel warm and toasty against detonation.... later my plans changed and I needed it... now I'm considering to pulley her further (high teens) and get a larger cooler... move the battery to where it belongs, in the trunk!

When you install it is cheaper and easier to get the cooler at the same time... in my case the cooled system was 600 more which is allot for the cooler and some plastic and rubber...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the feedback. Reading further, they appear to have a safety temperature system if you run out of alcohol. I'll stop transposing data, and give the link:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Read the whole this and was making mental notes on what I wanted to question and / or comment on.... but there was just too much....

To comment on the above, to reduce timing at high temp (and boost plus fuel flow) sounds like a tricky and finikey tune? And maybe too little too late...!??! KABOOOM!!!

I don't know why they do it that way. My only guess is to make money. They probably get the uncooled complete units for just under $3,000 another 200 for the spray and a couple grand is left over for labor/profit... Install and dyno tune at a shop range from 8-12 hundred, and that's with profit too so big bucks for Alt Auto if they can sell them... I would not bother...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
The meth/water injection kits were designed to AID an intercooled setup to wring just a few more ponies out of a strip car. Not to be the sole means of charge cooling. That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less. If you want a little bit of insurance against detonation on a non cooled, mildly boosted, safely tuned car then I would say go for it. But trying to nail 470RWHP from an uncooled setup just does not sound like a good idea to me for a street car.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page