would u trade ur manual for a auto? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

I did trade for an auto,(and now back to manual), and really regreted it, I have bad knees....but who cares the manual rocks.

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

After buying the GT with the auto trans, (and taking a lot of
grief over that)...My knee was previously hurt bad enough that even
walking the mall most of the time hurts by the end of the day, so shifting
all the time in heavy traffic would really suck. If I would have
bought the manual I think it would have taken the "joy" out of
driving my new car. There are many days I think how nice it would
be to have a stick but, in the end I need to do what is practical.
So... If you can drive a stick with no problems do it!!!!
If your like me..stick it in gear and drive!!

Can life get any better????
S197 Member

Nope I'm digging what I got and staying with a auto.

S197 Member

I had an auto, it lasted 3 months, traded for a manual.......its a daily driver in traffic and I dont regret it at all. Manual in the GT all the way.

In my truck....auto.
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to RichieRich3902
Quote:
If I wanted to stop speeding, sure, but no.

The auto doesn't help with that at all lol.

Rich
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

The auto is better on the 1/4 and in traffic jams... the other 99.35% of your driving foggetaboutit!!!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_cinci
The auto is better on the 1/4 and in traffic jams... the other 99.35% of your driving foggetaboutit!!!
In traffic jams, I'd agree, but is it really better in the 1/4 or just more consistant?

A freind of mine with an 05 auto with a K&N intake and a tune is p-o'd because my 06 manual GT in stock form has posted a better 1/4 time than his car. At the time we chauked it up to his 3.31 gears to my 3.55's.

He recently upgraded to 3.73 gears and I upgraded to a C&L racer intake and tune. At the track, he still had trouble going any quicker than before he changed his gears while I was able to knock off almost a 1/4 second from stock, down to 13.439 at 104.99 mph.

So is the auto really better or do we just have cars at the opposite ends of the factory variances in performance?

I guess another option is that his K&N is too restrictive since it is "possible" to run the K&N without a tune. Dunno but he would sure welcome any tips. I hate to see a guy pissed off about the perforamnce of his mods.

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I don't know how good of a driver you are but that sertainly make a diff. Anywho; between a auto and a stick with stock gearing and the same tires and HP the auto will win.

I have not driven a stock auto, but a CAIed auto with after cat exhaust will do low 13's. Quick burn of the stock tires (cleaning, not heating! ). Hold the brake, hold about 3,500 rpm, let go of the brake...

I am a beginner on the track with four wheels... but I think it says somthing that I drowe my (then) ~340 rwhp car to 13.14 and a 270 rwhp auto to a 13.25, both with ETs...

Stock they are pretty close but as the power goes up the auto becomes easier and should win.

High powered too the auto, even stock autos seem to do better... http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=91010 see post 5...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I don't know how good of a driver you are but that sertainly make a diff. Anywho; between a auto and a stick with stock gearing and the same tires and HP the auto will win.
I think you and I have been through this before but I couldn't disagree more. I seen too many times in real life, at the drag strip, that when the mods are the same and the driver has a clue, the manual wins every time.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

That is your experience, mine is different... I'm talking about the few S197s I have seen and this is the conclusion I have come to. What are the facts you base your opinion on? Also, what you're saying I'd agree was true on most mostly stock cars untill the S197 auto tranny.

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

In MY Mustang, I love the manual.

Wife can't drive a stick hehe...I have tried to teach her, but she gets scared.

She would prefer an auto.
Sometimes in stop and go traffic on the interstate, I'd love an auto.
For all other times, I love the stick.

In any family car, or truck, Auto all the way.

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Stick is deffinately more fun! And again the auto would be nice in traffic stops... my SPEC +3 requires some pressure... but would I change it? Never!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
Rookie

Not a chance...

13 GT Base
12 ZX14r
12 Super Tenere
Apprentice

Quote:

I have not driven a stock auto, but a CAIed auto with after cat exhaust will do low 13's. Quick burn of the stock tires (cleaning, not heating! ). Hold the brake, hold about 3,500 rpm, let go of the brake...

I am a beginner on the track with four wheels... but I think it says somthing that I drowe my (then) ~340 rwhp car to 13.14 and a 270 rwhp auto to a 13.25, both with ETs...

Stock they are pretty close but as the power goes up the auto becomes easier and should win.

High powered too the auto, even stock autos seem to do better... http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=91010 see post 5...
I am, by all meanings of the word, a novice at the 1/4 mile. This is the first car I've had on the track and I've only been there 4 times since April 2006.

On the surface, I'd likely agree that given two novice drivers with identically prepared cars, with the only difference being a manual in one car and an auto in the other, the auto would probably win.

Now for my immediate experience with my 06 manual trans vs a friend's 05 auto. His times with a CAI and tune were consistantly in the 13.8 to 13.7 range, with a 13.68 or so as a best time on stock street radials (17's and 3.31 gears). When I was stock, I was all over the board ranging from 14.2 all the way down to my best but un-repeatable 13.67, again on stock street radials (18's and 3.55 gears). So with my inexperience, sure, autos are more consistant. I'll give you that. But faster? Still open for discusion.

I've read other reports of similarly modified (CAI and tune) autos also being in the same 13.7 to 13.8 second range. Yet when I added these mods to my manual trans (granted, some keen-eyed folks will notice LCA relocation my brackets in my sig as well), I can get down to 13.43 (still on stock street radials). I really don't think the LCA relocation brackets did a heck of a lot with the stock tires as my 60' times were still in the 2.09 to 2.18 range.

I just don't think that driver error could be that bad to make a similarly modded auto perform that poor. Or are there auto-specific driving tips for the 1/4 mile that can make up for that big of a difference when not followed?

I also know that there are factory heros and factory lemons, depending on the batch of parts and the quality of the assembler's on any given day. Could this be the issue with my friend's auto compared to my manual?

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page