would u trade ur manual for a auto? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

would u trade ur manual for a auto?

I have the chance to trade my 05 manny tranny in on a 07 automatic. I do drag race and am going to put a saleen supercharger on whatever I have. Anyone regret the same sort of trade or any good reason not to trade?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
IMHO....unless I lost one of my arms or legs...I want the manual tranny over the auto any day of the week (and twice on Sundays). In a muscle car, I like to feel like I am driving and not being driven around. However, I will note, if you are a daily driver in traffic, or are a arm and/or leg amputee...then maybe an auto is fine. I do not drag race enough to really know if an auto is better than a manual. But I will say this, when the dust settles, it is your car, and if you prefer an auto, then by all means go for it.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

mrvandermay, I couldn't agree more. Having an automatic is one step away from having a chauffeur.

I want to drive my car, not steer it.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speco2005
I have the chance to trade my 05 manny tranny in on a 07 automatic. I do drag race and am going to put a saleen supercharger on whatever I have. Anyone regret the same sort of trade or any good reason not to trade?
Personally, I would not because I drove an auotmatic for 9 years before the Stang. I just plain enjoy driving the manual. I live about 7 miles from work, so any drive for me is a pleasure drive.

It boils down to what YOU want????

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006

If I wanted to stop speeding, sure, but no.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
S197 Member

Unless I become physically incapable of driving a stick, I wouldn't trade my 5 speed GT for an auto. I traded a ten month old 2006 Dodge Charger R/T auto for my '07 GT because I couldn't get used to a driving a car that decided when it wanted to shift, not when I wanted to shift.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
S197 Member

If I had a nice Cadillac, I would want it auto. But if it is a coupe, sporty looking car, it would have to be manual.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Not a chance... I wouldn't have bought the car if it didn't come with a stick.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006
S197 Member

I'm just the opposite. I slam around an 18 spd all day so when I get home I'm done shifting.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I had an auto for almost 2 years...great in traffic good pickup....however after 1 month with the 5 speed..I dont miss the auto at all....

2006 Torch Red GT 5 speed Black Leather Shaker Hood Scoop CAI black spoiler mirror covers shorty antenna black billett fuel door mustang license plate brackets
SMG

There's no way. The thought would never even cross my mind.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I will admit, I want and love an automatic transmission in my new F-150. But in my Stang, I agree, I would not have bought it if it were an auto. But do not let us decide what is best for you....your car your choice.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speco2005
You can always go AOD w/ a trans-brake.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT

PowerHouse: Turbo & Chassis/Suspension
Fox Lake: Short Block & Heads
Complete Mod List: See my WWW homepage

Brad
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
It all depends on what you want out of the car, and what your future plans for the car are. The people saying they want to drive the car and not just steer the car have obviously never driven a >11 second car.

My car is a manual tranny car. It is also nearly 500 hp to the wheels. I go to the track as often as possible. If at some point in time I decide to do a motor build and change from a SC to a turbo, I am definitely going to consider an Art Carr AOD conversion.

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys The Saleen goes on in the morning. I can trade later in a couple of years on a Bullit or a Boss maybe, but for now its manny tranny SC all the way for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page