Tunes, yes more tuning questions. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Tunes, yes more tuning questions.

I have been reading a little about tunes and such and as we all know you really cant put a whole lot of powerful mods on your car without one. Now onto the questions at hand. I have the extended warranty on my car and ive been told that a custom tune would almost completely void my warranty. even worse, im trying to get a fuel pump replaced because i almost smashed into a lexus after taking my baby on a long, long drive. then having it sputter for a few second after proceeding through a green light, causing the car to jerk forward and almost into her back seat. Even with the TSB they just tell me, "we cant recreate the problem, and with an increase in warranty work blah blah." So i would definately love to put on a CAI, etc,etc, and increase the fun. but that would void almost my whole warranty considering i would need a custom tune.and yes the same warranty i cant use to have work i actually need done on my car wont let me doing anything exciting to it. so am i just up the creek without a paddle or is there some better alternative i just cant think of. i thought that just returning the car to stock....as i wouldnt have an extreme number of mods like KJ....and returning the stock tune. would they still be able to tell? i believe it shows a "reflash" and thats how they can tell the computer has been messed with. but im not sure. in the distant future i will have FI and such. but me being 21, and in school. i wouldnt have enough money to pay for anything serious that could happen to my car. so is their anyway for me to win? am i just worried about nothing? time is much appreciated.

2006 GT....White On Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
If you have a fuel pump that's not acting up, I would not have the car tuned at all. The way a tune makes power is by tweaking the A/F ratio and advancing the timing. Both of these aspects rely heavily on your fuel system operating properly at all times. One hiccup from your fuel pump at a high RPM with timing advanced as far as it can be done safely and you risk serious engine damage.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

If your dealer refuses to replace your car's fuel pump after the Lexus near mishap, then just go to a different dealer. Some dealers are better for warranty service than others.

If you replace the stock tune and intake, and then remove the battery's negative cable for 15 minutes to wipe out the computer's memory before taking the car in for warranty work, then the only thing the dealer will be able to detect is that the computer's memory was reset. If they ask you what happened, just tell them that an interior light was accidently left on which ran down the battery, and it had to be disconnected for a recharge.
Of course, you'll also have to reset the time and station presets on the radio.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Just reflash the car to stock, no need to remove the battery cable (and certainly not the ground). They'll be able to tell it's been flashed, but not who did it.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Just reflash the car to stock, no need to remove the battery cable (and certainly not the ground). They'll be able to tell it's been flashed, but not who did it.
The following is from another forum:
"Been a tech for Ford for last 14 years.
There is no way we can tell if the tune has been changed.
Resetting, over rev, and speed limit reached are stored, but can be erased just by disconnecting the battery for
15 mins.
If asked why the battery was disconnected, just say you left the dome light on, and had to get the battery
recharged.
We can't prove otherwise."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

The Granatelli CAI does not require a tune.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well the problem with the fuel pump is that is that after long drives it will sometimes wait like a half second or two to start going again. but it happens whenever it feels like. its just very scary when it does.especially almost smashing into a lexus or some expensive car that you dont want to pay to have fixed....the reason i kind of want to take the car to this dealership is that its the closest one to me and its the only performance dealership in the area i can think of and i know a couple of people who have taken their cars there and they do pretty nice work....as for just returning the stock tune, they told me that they wouldnt be able to tell whether or not it was done by another dealership or a custom tuner so they would have no choice but to assume it wasnt done by Ford.....so if i changed the CAI and got a custom tune....all i have to do is disconnect the negative cable....return it to stock with the stock tune and they will be none the wiser. if thats all it takes then i would do that...just as long as i could bs them long enough to get my service done.....i was actually looking at the granatelli CAI. no tune needed, 20rwhp (give or take), but would you like the granatelli, or a c&l with a bamachips tune? thought so 65 . thanks for the comments. good info

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski
The following is from another forum:
"Been a tech for Ford for last 14 years.
There is no way we can tell if the tune has been changed.
Resetting, over rev, and speed limit reached are stored, but can be erased just by disconnecting the battery for
15 mins.
If asked why the battery was disconnected, just say you left the dome light on, and had to get the battery
recharged.
We can't prove otherwise."
Good info... I stand corrected.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Go buy a tuning tool like I did, and put it in diagnostic mode on long trips- record the event and show it to the dealer (that's what I did).

Record: Fuel Rail Press, RPM, vehicle speed, wheatever else you want. When the fuel pump sucks air, the fuel rail press drops to less than 2 psi, then smacks back to over 60psim beofre it settles down. Any Ford tech with a brain should accept your readings and do the TSB work.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

thats a good idea. i will do that as soon as i get $....and lastly can i just return the stock tune or do i have to disconect and BS? i cant wait to spend money i dont have.

4.6L Member
S197 Member

You do not have to install a tune to use a tuning tool- just plug it in and set it to start a datalog. You can keep your stock tune.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

yea i know that. my main issue isnt gettin my fuel pump replaced. im worse than a women (not offense intended, maybe a lil ) when it comes to naggin dealerships. ill get that fuel pump replaced sooner or later. im more worried about gettin power and new tunes and being able to still have my warranty and get warrant work. but im going to try the datalog when i get enough money to get a unti.untill then im going to complain like its the thing to do. .

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

UPDATE: well i talked to a few different dealerships and they all have their BS. but the guys id like to have work on my car (cuz i know they will do a good job) told me that yes, they cant tell the car was flashed, but not know did it. then proceeded to tell me that since they cant tell who it was done by they have to assume its from someone else. thus killing my warranty. also he said that all they have to do is look at the parts on the car and they can tell if it needs to be tuned for those specific parts. granted its too much troble to take off some of the parts that require a tunlike if they see a CAI, or any other such part they will they know the car has to be tuned. so its either they are playing hardball with me, or will have to cry to get any work done. so are they pulling my leg with false information. or can i just go about the old stock tune, stock parts, then go back to my mods after warranty work?

4.6L Member
S197 Member

[quote=moose_knuckle]UPDATE: well i talked to a few different dealerships and they all have their BS. but the guys id like to have work on my car (cuz i know they will do a good job) told me that yes, they cant tell the car was flashed, but not know did it. then proceeded to tell me that since they cant tell who it was done by they have to assume its from someone else. thus killing my warranty. /quote]

That is not entirely accurate. The dealer must be able to prove that the modification either caused, or contributed to the failure in the vehicle, in order for your warranty to be void.

For instance: If you bought a Hurst shifter for your tranny, and your rear-end gears blew up afterwards, they would not have a valid argument. Of course, they are banking on the fact that you won't take them to court, which you might end up having to do- a lot of hassle for most people.

I'll tell you what, if my engine goes KaBOOM!! There is a good chance that the computer wil end up going kaBOOM as well...

Read this:
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
Go buy a tuning tool like I did, and put it in diagnostic mode on long trips- record the event and show it to the dealer (that's what I did).

Record: Fuel Rail Press, RPM, vehicle speed, wheatever else you want. When the fuel pump sucks air, the fuel rail press drops to less than 2 psi, then smacks back to over 60psim beofre it settles down. Any Ford tech with a brain should accept your readings and do the TSB work.
What tuning tool did you get? I have the sct x2, but I think I need a laptop to datalog with it, which I don't have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page