better acceleration mods? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyGT
so how much hp/tq am i looking at with the 4.10s and UDP, what brand produces those 4.10s, does it make the automatics feel more agressive in shifting. appreciating ur fast responses. 'thumbs up'
I don't think you can measure TQ increase from gears cuz it really just changes the torque curve...doesn't really add torque...

It changes the torque curve so you have more in lower gears andless in the higher TQ range, which is why you lose like 5-10 mph top speed. Any1 wanna back me on this? I'm trying to regurgitate what I read before about gears.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicfii
I think you are being had. 4.10 gears in an auto might be nice around town, but not good for the highway. If you do decide to go with gears, only buy Ford Racing gear sets and have them installed at the dealer so you can bust them when it falls apart later.

Ask an auto trans guy who has a tuner AND gears, if he had to choose, which would he rather have, and you will get tuner, hands down.
You are absolutely right...when BamaChips was done with my auto it was like a different tranny. It does everything this dude wants for his car. I can now burn off the tires in drive with t/c ON! It's like night and day:eyepoppin

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyGT
it's a little hard to replace my k&n. I'm not one of those guys who want to exhaust their engines, i just want to feel that the acceleration is improved, i race occasionally and when i do I don't think the launch is quick enough. I just need something that makes the engine response much better, so what's the deal with the lightweight driveshaft? and why would the 4.10s come apart?
You will not exhaust your engine any faster with a different filter, a big part of the gains comes from the increased size of the MAF housing.

I would suggest doing a search on the lw ds's. Of course, anyone with personal experience can chime in at any time. Also, good info on them at www.themustangsource.com

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah, Doug is in Napa this week, so it might be a while before I get my SCT & Bamachips tunes. I did get my CMCV Delete plates in, and I am hoping that the tunes Doug gives me will bring it all together. Anything will be better than that Perdator C&L tune that I had in the car- it started pinging for no reason at all (not a fuel problem), and the throttle hang problem has been excruciating to deal with while upshifting my manual trans.
S197 Member

Quote:
Yeah, Doug is in Napa this week, so it might be a while before I get my SCT & Bamachips tunes. I did get my CMCV Delete plates in, and I am hoping that the tunes Doug gives me will bring it all together. Anything will be better than that Perdator C&L tune that I had in the car- it started pinging for no reason at all (not a fuel problem), and the throttle hang problem has been excruciating to deal with while upshifting my manual trans.

Well...the wait will be worth it. He turned my car into a fire breathing monster
PONY Member
S197 Member

Get the tuner 1st. My experience is with the SCT XcalII. It will wake up your car and with your AT you can firm up the shifts like you were talking about. Do a search for sct or tuner or handheld or programmer or whatever. There is a lot of info about it here ;o)

Do this 1st and see how you like it. If you are still wanting more gears would be good, 3.73's or 4.10's by FRPP I hear are the way to go.

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to 9Venom9 Send a message via MSN to 9Venom9 Send a message via Yahoo to 9Venom9
from what I have heard and from who I have talked to 3.90's are the ideal gear for the Auto's

USMC 96-00 / 0311 GRUNT!
2003 Cobra.. Powered by Whipple.. Built by AED!
2005 Sonic Blue GT... Turbo bound!
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Venom9
from what I have heard and from who I have talked to 3.90's are the ideal gear for the Auto's
My bro's 03 GT gears were quoted at $550 (install). He got a friend to do them for $200 ( he won't do it for me, he said it was a pain in the as$ and "yours is only a v6" lol) .
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I'm running Doug's tune for the delete plates and my CAI. I have a manual so couldn't vouch for the improvements in the auto, but if it's consistent with the other improvements I got, you'll be quite pleased.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
Get the tuner 1st. My experience is with the SCT XcalII. It will wake up your car and with your AT you can firm up the shifts like you were talking about. Do a search for sct or tuner or handheld or programmer or whatever. There is a lot of info about it here ;o)

Do this 1st and see how you like it. If you are still wanting more gears would be good, 3.73's or 4.10's by FRPP I hear are the way to go.
+1 on tuner first, then gears. Every other mod I can think of, who's name does not include "supercharger" or "turbocharger" will give you less payback. For gears, autos don't require as high a numerical ratio, so most seem to like 3.73 or 3.90 whereas manual drivers tend to install 4.10.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I didn't know there were 3.90's for our cars. cool

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
Banned
5.0L Member

throttle body fuel pressure regulator, pulleys cold air intake intake manifold cam, heads.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

i didn't know there was 3.90s too, so i guess, tune first, then gears and maybe add UDPs later, sounds like a plan, now all i need is to throw the money.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to AFStang
random question for ya'll involving the Bama tune... where do you find the calibration code??? I've searched the site and cant find anything on it!!

*2005 Mustang GT- Torch Red, IUP, Shaker 500, MyColor, JLT II CAI w/Brenspeed Tune, SLP L/M's, BBK T/B, Steeda UDPs, Shaker hood, B2 hood/pins,18x9.5 GT500 replicas, CDC Chin Spoiler, Roush 1/4 window louvers, 8" antenna, honeycomb blackout, MWA mirror covers, Sequential TL's, black LED projector H/L's, H/L splitters, Ducktail, Hurst equipped....

*1969 Camaro SS with 454

2000 Camaro Z-28, heavily modified
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFStang
random question for ya'll involving the Bama tune... where do you find the calibration code??? I've searched the site and cant find anything on it!!
It's a 4-digit code on a white sticker on the top edge of the computer module. You'll find this mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay. The module's housing is silver, with several big plugs (3 or 4) coming out of the front of it, facing the radiator.

If you open the hood, stand by the passenger side fender, right at the wheel well, and look down - you'll be looking right at it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page