Question on Gas Usage/Mileage. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Question on Gas Usage/Mileage.

I'm not exactly sure how to word this, so I'll give it a try and hope that the words I'm trying to get out come across correctly.

On the Mustangs that come equipped with the Interior Upgrade Package, it includes a nifty little gadget in the gauges that computes the average miles per gallon, distance traveled, time traveled, average speed and number of gallons used. I've found everything listed on the display to be pretty accurate. I've been measuring my mpg's and it's been right on cue with what I read on the display whenever I check it. My question however, concerns the number of gallons used indicator on the display. I know that from the manufacturer our cars are designed to hold approximately 16.0 gallons of gas, however, what if one is able to put more than 16.0 gallons in the tank? Would the extra gas in the tank be factored in by the car's computer or will it read and compute by the first 16 gallons used in the car. Example, last night I filled up at a gas station and by the time I was done I had pumped exactly 16.600 into the tank. Now as I drive along in the future and use this gas, will the computer in the car determine the amount of gas used by the first 16 gallons or will it factor in that extra .6 of a gallon I was able to put into the car last night. Thus far, I've been filling up my car within the last 5 miles of gas I have left, according to the computer, and I haven't chanced it on going farther once I hit "E" by the computer's standards. So I'm wondering if I pumped 16.6 gallons like I did last night, do I have 16.6 gallons to use or will only the first 16 gallons be recognize by the car's computer.

I hope that makes sense and didn't come across as jumbled as I thought it would.

For Play: 2011 Ford Mustang v6 Premium Coupe w/Pony Package. Stock...for now.

For Work: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. The fun daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

I got a bad tank of gas, think it was half water , ran it until the display said 5miles left. Had a can of good gas to refill it with when it ran out. So I thought it would only take a little while to run out.
It ran for 4 hours idling in the driveway for it to finally run out. I'm pretty sure I could have driven alot more than 5 miles.

[email protected] 117 MPH
2.6 Metco Pulley, Jlt CAI, John Lund Tune, Long tube headers, McLeod clutch, Alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears, BMR relocation brackets, lca's and adjustable upper arm, 255/50/16 MT drag radials.
Still no traction......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
I don't know how the computer will read the mileage but i don know if your manual says that you have 16 gallon tank that you in fact have like a 17.25 gallon tank. Its a federally administerd thing. But i have many times before taken a lot more than my tank can hold. And then i wonder if the gas station wasn't downhill, if i would have ever made it.:hihi:

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
S197 Member

I don't think the computer knows how much gas you actually put in the tank when you fill up, I think it comes up with the gallons used by your average mpg and how many miles you've travelled.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

The computer counts the number of times the fuel injectors fire to estimate the fuel consumption. It's pretty accurate but not perfectly accurate. I agree on the 17+ gallon tank. You have to consider how much fuel is in the lines and how much you have 'over-filled'.

I have several times driven well past "0 miles to empty" with the most being about 15 miles past that point, yet I have never been able to put in more than 15.9 gallons of fuel.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

It sounds like your gas station is ripping you off and charging for gas that has not been put in. I've been down to E a few times and at best I put in about 15.2 gallons.

Check out the stations calibration certificates

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
You could just drive until it runs out then call up AAA and ask them to fill you all the way up and see how much it takes. But i am sure that the computer isn't stupid when it calculates the mileage and gas consumption. Otherwise ford would have gotten rid of it.

You also have to take into consideration that your engine lets say 4.0 for the sake of arguement. That 4.0 has gas inside of it, so there are many variables to take into consideration.

the key is to try and not go to the cheapy gas stations cause you run a higher risk of getting watered down gas.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I too have run 10 miles when the computer said "0 miles to empmty" and still only put 15.6 gallons in it (I was gettign 16.5 mpg). I have several Fords, all of them have this computer feature. I have found the mpg is very accurate, but the "miles to empty" are conservative. Like on my F-150, it said I had 31 miles to empty; it has a 30 gallon tank and I was getting 17.5 miles to the gallon, yet I was only able to put in 26.7 gallons. I think the computer may have a default setting in hopes you fill up orior to "0 miles to empty" so you do not run out fuel.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
I too have run 10 miles when the computer said "0 miles to empmty" and still only put 15.6 gallons in it (I was gettign 16.5 mpg). I have several Fords, all of them have this computer feature. I have found the mpg is very accurate, but the "miles to empty" are conservative. Like on my F-150, it said I had 31 miles to empty; it has a 30 gallon tank and I was getting 17.5 miles to the gallon, yet I was only able to put in 26.7 gallons. I think the computer may have a default setting in hopes you fill up orior to "0 miles to empty" so you do not run out fuel.
Interesting, mine has been accurate. Last time I ran it to about 45 miles remaining and put in about 13.8 gallons. Assuming an actual 16 gallon capacity, the 20.5 mpg for a tank of all commute miles was spot on for the remaining 2.2 gallons in the tank.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric The MadMan
It sounds like your gas station is ripping you off and charging for gas that has not been put in. I've been down to E a few times and at best I put in about 15.2 gallons.

Check out the stations calibration certificates

I am glad someone else said it. I hav enever been abel to get over 15 gallons in my tank, and thats when it said I had 50 miles to empty and the gage was very low

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Well in my first two fill ups after initially having the car I got a little over 15 gallons (with a little topping off - 2 clicks). Now at each fill up, I'm getting any where between lower to mid 16 gallons in the tank, with mild top off (tank clicks off twice). So I don't know if it was a breaking in kind of thing or something else. 16.6 gallons was the most I've put in the Mustang thus far and according to the on board computer I only had 5 miles to E...but 8 days prior to that I only put in 16.1 gallons with only 2 miles E, so I don't know.

I had noticed however, that when I got down to my last 30 miles (or so) before E message, the estimated gas mileage reading started to double up (in some spots) on the number of miles I actually had left before E taking 2 miles for every 1 mile I traveled.

I've never taken my car to the 0 miles to E limit (been close) or beyond, and not sure that I actually would without someone there to give me gas, or without having a gallon of emergency gas in one of those little red tanks inside the car in case the car shut off from the lack of gas in the tank..

For Play: 2011 Ford Mustang v6 Premium Coupe w/Pony Package. Stock...for now.

For Work: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. The fun daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page