brenspeed cai +tune...how much? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

brenspeed cai +tune...how much?

well since ive newely decided to take the precautions necessary to ensure my warranty ive chosen to go with brenspeed. it was hard between bamachips and brenspeed, but my gut said them, so im trusting it. i really dont think i can go wrong both ways. im going to go with either the TI or the c&l and Xcal2...but is the c&l worth the extra 150 or so extra..for me thats alot of money...that could pay for my tune....which leads me to my next question..really easy..about how much am i looking at for a tune....then dont really say and i dont feel like calling them. people make me angry .and if any of you have prices on what all 3 would cost me would be great.. im sure im not the only person who bought a cai,xcal2, and a tune. i would just like to know about much in total it will cost. (im working 7days a week to get this). so i would like to stop doing that ASAP and put some stuff on my car. Thanx in advance as usual.

2006 GT....White On Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
PONY Member

I recently got a JLT2 & tuner from Brenspeed.Big improvement.All the CAI's are close to the same on power gains,usually boils down to looks or personal preference.Alot of people like the aluminum of the C&L. I prefered the matched paint look of the JLT. With Brenspeed, you get 3 tunes included in the price of the tuner.I got the SCT with my CAI.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT 006.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	19883  

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 1055
Previous Mustangs;
Torch Red 2006 GT
20 Yrs of Mini-vans
Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302
Lime Green 1969 Notchback Coupe
Maroon 1967 Vert
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
S197 Member

I am also debating on a CAI. The question is tune or no tune CAI.

For a tune required I am considering one from
Alternative auto, Bamachips or Brenspeed.

Does BamaChips or Brenspeed have a Web site? Post web address please?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang
I am also debating on a CAI. The question is tune or no tune CAI.

For a tune required I am considering one from
Alternative auto, Bamachips or Brenspeed.

Does BamaChips or Brenspeed have a Web site? Post web address please?
The majority of CAI's require a tune (C&L, JLT, Tunable Induction, Steeda, etc.) to run the motor safely. There are a handful that say they don't, with Granatelli and K&N coming to mind as being the "tuneless" units that have good reputations.

I think the choice boils down to:
  1. Maximizing the performance of the vehicle with a full-on CAI and tune, versus having that extra secure feeling that there won't be warranty issues due to the aftermarket CAI or computer tune.
  2. Cost. Typically ~$200 for a tuneless CAI versus ~$550-$700 for a CAI, tuner and canned tunes.
Don't know much about Alternative, this only the second mention of them I've seen. BamaChips, Brenspeed and Evolution are probably the most well-known and respected SCT tuners, and their web addresses are:
www.BamaChips.com
www.Brenspeed.com
www.EvoPerform.com

Only because you've sort of asked, I'll offer my opinion that a CAI + tuner + canned tunes is the better option if your priority is performance. Since you're bothering to replace the CAI at all, I'll make that assumption.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
S197 Member

Lidio (alternative auto) is requarded as one of the top persons for V-6 auto cars. Thats why I mentioned Him. I have a GT and my wife has a V-6.

I am old school so all of this computer tuning is new to me. While I understand a/f ratios and curves, timeing curves I am used to Carbs and distributers controling everything.

I was looking for one vendor for products for both of our Mustangs but that may not be the best approach when it comes to tunes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well i was either going to get the TI or the JLT2 but ive heard people having problems with the heat shield...and they are similar in price.....so i figured id spend just a little less and get the one i havent heard that many problems for. but how much does brenspeed charge for a custom tune. i mean canned tunes are nice and all....but what if i want him to make me a custom tune for my car...like when i add a couple for mods and such....any idea on what that would cost me? if you dont mind me asking...what did it cost u for the JLT2 and tuner out the door?

as for a tuneless CAI...ive heard people liking them just for the bang for the buck...but i dont think it compares to a tune. also im not sure how you can increase the airflow and not run lean. especially with these engines. but i guess that shows you how much i know.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I got Brenspeed tuner, with three tunes and I paid about $380. I already had the K&N CAI (which I let Brenspeed know for custom tune).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006
S197 Member

You can't go wrong with Brenspeed. Call either Brent or Dave and tell them I sent you......

Tom
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle
Well i was either going to get the TI or the JLT2 but ive heard people having problems with the heat shield...and they are similar in price.....so i figured id spend just a little less and get the one i havent heard that many problems for. but how much does brenspeed charge for a custom tune. i mean canned tunes are nice and all....but what if i want him to make me a custom tune for my car...like when i add a couple for mods and such....any idea on what that would cost me? if you dont mind me asking...what did it cost u for the JLT2 and tuner out the door?

as for a tuneless CAI...ive heard people liking them just for the bang for the buck...but i dont think it compares to a tune. also im not sure how you can increase the airflow and not run lean. especially with these engines. but i guess that shows you how much i know.
From my own experience with the JLT and what I hear and read about TI, it's hard to go wrong with either. I'm going to guess you're referring to the JLT when you mentioned the heat shield issue. There were a couple of rare problems with the early JLT's. Both have been fixed with the JLT 2 CAI, so you can probably disregard those specific reports at this point. Personally, I've had zero issues with mine so far.

I got my tunes from BamaChips, but looked at Brenspeed really hard too. I think you'd be best off discussing custom tuning with Brent himself. I know he does mail order business, but I've not ever asked for anything custom, unless you count the CMRC delete Doug did for me and that was no-cost. Brent has a great rep, so I'm sure it'll be fair.

"Custom" tuning could even include an in-person dyno session to get a hand-tweaked tune. Obviously, that'd be the optimal situation, but I don't know if you have a good tuner that's geographically convenient to you. The canned tunes are probably 90 or 95% of what you'd get in a personalized tune. I've just never felt yet like I needed more.

I gave, I believe $545 out-the-door, for Doug's JLT2, SCT and 3 tune combo. In my book, that's a bona fide deal, and has been cost-effective performance for my car. I'm sure Brenspeed has a similar combo if you've made up your mind to purchase from Brent. And Evolution could be in the mix too (see, I'm trying to share the love).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

i do like that part i cant go wrong either way. and you kind of mentioned it before....i was thinking the canned tunes should be just fine....but what fuel are canned tunes for.premium fuel id believe? and how much if any charge will their be for future mod tunes? i wont have any FI for awhile.

i was more of hoping to stay with 87oct. for my car for a little while untill i can get a legit second job. then upgrade to probably the 93. i know its not a whole lot more. but when ur only working 20-25hrs a week at 9.35/hr...its a lot of extra money. i still have a lot of hours of community service to make up on top of working side jobs in construction to pay for all this.

well im looking at bamachips right now and they have the jlt2 and xcal for 575. so with tax and such would be a little more. maybe just a little more expensive than brenspeed. someone got a deal . and another reason i went with brenspeed is because ill be buying suspensions mods and other stuff from them. so if i buy a lot and oftenmaybe they will give me a break on price or tunes or both! but you cant pay enough for good service and getting what you want...

tom: if i tell them you sent me will they charge me more or less. or make my tune leaner .

PONY Member

My JLT2 & SCT cost me around 540 from Brenspeed, no shipping charges.
You can specify what 3 'canned' tunes you want.I went with a 87,89 & 93 octane tunes.Have only run the 89 tune so far.Personally,It's got way more power than I use on a regular basis.I'm one of the 'older' guys & not into fast & loud all the time anymore.The biggest improvement in my opinion was the drivability improvements over the stock Ford tune.The extra bump in power is a plus too.
Brent had mentioned if you buy any further parts from him, he would send you an updated tune free.I haven't tried this yet though.I am very impressed with their service though,had emailed with questions & Brent called me that afternoon & spent the time I needed,& this was before I even bought from them.

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 1055
Previous Mustangs;
Torch Red 2006 GT
20 Yrs of Mini-vans
Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302
Lime Green 1969 Notchback Coupe
Maroon 1967 Vert
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle
tom: if i tell them you sent me will they charge me more or less. or make my tune leaner .
LOL.......They'll treat you right no matter what!

I'll be there at 1pm on Monday to get an updated dyno tune on Brent's dyno........... I can tell Brent to be on the lookout for your order if you decide to do so.
S197 Member

I gotta throw props at BamaChips...I got the 89 performance, the 91 torque and the 91 perf tunes and the C&L cai...and I couldn't be happier...good luck to you BTW I paid 675.00 for my setup
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

. i hope they will. especially since they will be receiving a lot of money from me if they do. i plan on gettin 4 BMR parts, hurst shifter, and saleen pulleys all at once. im glad to see they hooked you up with the free tune. i think we shall have a good working relationship then. you can tell him to expect my order.im just not sure when it will be. im thinking hopefully like maybe a month or so. lawyer fees, low paying job, etc etc.

Tom: you can tell him to definately expect my business. i was gunna call them and ask them on out the door prices and such on monday after work so you will be there about the time i call . tell them i said what up .

Air: thanx for the confidence. yea you cant go wrong either way. iw ish i could have the c&l, but im a poor kid. and yes i sound like a broken recorder. im sorry. and hows that BMR brace treating ya?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page