How are the 05-07 cars judged?! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

How are the 05-07 cars judged?!

I've entered my car in a couple of shows over the past summer. Both were 'participation' judged - where the other Mustang owners in judged classes choose their 'favorite' S197. I won a 1st place trophy and an award of excellance (kinda cool to win a popularity contest, I think! ).

This past weekend I was at another show - only 3 S197s in attendance. This was actually a 'judged' show. Both of the other vehicles placed, but I didn't?! I'll admit I didn't get to wax it prior to the show, but she was darned clean (including the engine bay)! I can understand why the blue conv. with CDC shaker, lightbar, etc won. But the other car that placed is a 2007 brand-new off the showroom floor, NO modifications of ANY kind, grabber orange GT. I've done some appearance modifications on mine; what do I do to win? What's looked for when our newer cars are judged??

On a side note, this grabber orange is also the car that took 1st place at the show where I won the award of excellance. I think it's great that she won (this is also a club member of mine), but I just don't get it.....

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgrl99
I've entered my car in a couple of shows over the past summer. Both were 'participation' judged - where the other Mustang owners in judged classes choose their 'favorite' S197. I won a 1st place trophy and an award of excellance (kinda cool to win a popularity contest, I think! ).

This past weekend I was at another show - only 3 S197s in attendance. This was actually a 'judged' show. Both of the other vehicles placed, but I didn't?! I'll admit I didn't get to wax it prior to the show, but she was darned clean (including the engine bay)! I can understand why the blue conv. with CDC shaker, lightbar, etc won. But the other car that placed is a 2007 brand-new off the showroom floor, NO modifications of ANY kind, grabber orange GT. I've done some appearance modifications on mine; what do I do to win? What's looked for when our newer cars are judged??

On a side note, this grabber orange is also the car that took 1st place at the show where I won the award of excellance. I think it's great that she won (this is also a club member of mine), but I just don't get it.....
Orange is the latest rage. Black is apparently old news.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006
S197 Member

Judged shows are tough. Especially if the judges are good. I once took a second place to an '06 coupe by a one point differential. His car had 6K miles on it and mine had 10K and his underside was cleaner. :hihi: Best way to find out is contact the show organizer and get ahold of a judjing sheet.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I think it varies show to show. I do well in all Mustang shows. For one thing, my car follows a '69 Mach 1 theme. I haven't just started adding parts for the hell of it. If it was on the Mach 1, I'll try to emulate it. I'm not trying to make the car something it isn't, but that's where my inspiration comes from. Since it's not a daily driver and has never seen rain, my car, including the engine bay, is spotless. It also helps that my car is very unique. It really stands out among the field of rally stripes. The judges seem to appreciate this.
Other judges seem to pick what they like. I took 3rd place at a show where the judge picked a car that was literally 3 days old (a new Dodge Charger Hemi). The second place winner told me he felt guilty because he thought my car deserved to do better. Oh well, I had fun anyway.
Participant choice is dicey. Sometimes I do well, other times I fail to place. One gripe (a harsh word, I know) is that the car clubs would get together and vote for each other's cars. My car, while unique, isn't as flashy as some of the others. Again, oh well, I had fun anyway.
I've got 1 or 2 shows yet this year. I've taken 5 trophies and a Top 25 plaque. (That one amazed me - participant choice out of about 100 cars in my class) I've failed to place at 3. But I had fun at all of them. And let's not forget that most of these shows raise money for charitable purposes. It's the people who really make it all worthwhile and why I'll be looking forward to next year's shows.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006
S197 Member

Yeah, it comes to how clean the car is.. sometimes the best lookin g car doesnt win if its not detailed as good. Get all those swirls off black will help a lot.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

My 'stang is bone stock. but I've won 2 trophys, a judges choice and a best daily ride. I was at our San Diego Mustang Club show yesterday entered in the stock class and I didn't stand a chance, so many nice cars but I had fun

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not upset that I didn't win, I guess I just don't understand why not. I've emailed our club president (he and another member did the judging) to get a copy of my sheet to see where I need to improve. I count myself incredibly lucky to have won the 2 I did and had not 'expected' those. I really am in it for the fun!

My car isn't 'overly done'. I like to think it has a nice understated elegance. I've added only what I thought would enhance the car's appearance.

I have a feeling the cleanliness of the undercarriage and inside the rims may have knocked me out on this one. I got up not planning on attending at all, so I only had about a half hour to get it swept out and washed/dried. I detailed the engine and interior, washed the windows and used Meguire's quick-detailer at the show. I guess I was just asking about everyone's experiences with judging, what they've found works and what doesn't...

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006
S197 Member

It's OK to be disappointed and even a little upset if the judging doesn't seem fair. After all, you spend time and effort getting the car ready and pay your money to enter in hopes of recognition. Yes, I belong to a club. Yes we lobby other members for votes in people's choice shows. Facts are, people may tell you they are going to vote for you but they don't always do it. I get angry at the Hot Rod crowd. They are definetly closed minded. They will open the show to all makes, all models, but come trophy time nothing newer than 1973 wins anything. being the Activities guy for our club, I keep a list of these shows and don't advertise or recommend them at meetings.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ever heard of politics at a car show? I was a judge at a particular car show where I was told to pick a certain car because they had sponsered a trophie and prizes at the show.I refused to give in and actually pulled my car from that show.
Sometimes it happens when the judge already has his mind made up.It makes people upset when there are no standards,fairness or truth.Even if I lost I figure there were some really nice cars that should have won.Makes you not want to go back next year.Bottom line is keep trying and don't give up.Poco

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page