Odd Situation With the Cops - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageV8
"mrvandermey" = I suggested a calm one on one with the officer - what is your opinion of that?

I do not think this should just slide. Someone should be aware other than parents and a friend. Maybe a lawyer - I do not think the officer is going to let this go - there is something going on here we do not know.
I am not infering it is "Sanctus", possibly the officer has an agenda.
I am not convinced even a calm one-on-one with that officer would change much. Primarily because the officer already thinks Sanctus is in the wrong, he will use his position of authority even in a calm one-on-one. I mean let's face it, what adult would take kindly to some teenage kid telling us we are wrong? I think if a formal complaint to either the police department or the local government municipality (city hall. county seat, etc), does not work, then seeking a civil right attorney would be justified.

No doubt there is something going on that we are not aware of. In all reality, I have found few officers who are "crooked", but I have met many a client that did not tell me everything. I am not saying that Sanctus is asking for anything, but it is possible this officer has a pet peeve against young men in hot rods, or that this officer and Sanctus have had a run in before. If a complaint has a valid chance, put the complaint in writing with details and submit it to the supervisor on duty. I agree, the officer should not just get away with such behavior. His intentions appear to be to keep speed demons in check, but his tactics are a bit off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to braupe
This is alittle off subject, but I was issued a citation for unnecessary noise-engine. What exactly is that? The officer said that ment spinning my tires. If thats the case then why didnt he put tires, not engine. This was in texas, not cali. I just thought mrvandermey might know.

The reason he pulled me over is because I slid alittle bit on a slick spot coming out of a parking lot.

Thanks for any info.

Just purchased 2006 GT! Perfectly stock... for now

2002 Mustang GT Premium. Sold :/
2001 Mustang GT. Sold :/
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I am not familar with Texas law, but it is possible that Texas does not have a specific law for tires, so they use a general one. However, since I am picky, I would fight that one, especially if the police officer said it was for tires but wrote you up for engine noise. In my opinion, that would be a technical defense.

Do not get me wrong, yes, I am an attorney, but I do not dislike police. They have a rough job. In fact, I was once a military police. But as a lawyer, I will make sure police officers are on their toes and have good citations.

As to your question, unecessary engine noise would include loud exhaust, or an engine with no exhaust. I would check your local DMV vehicl code book to get a definition of "excessive engine noise" and then work on differentiating what your engine sounded like compared to the definition.

S197 Member

Sanctus, hey man.

I hear you. I am 19 and got my car at the age of 18 and I got pulled over for going 55MPH in a 45MPH, however, it was on the exit ramp and the sign is a YELLOW SIGN, isnt that a suggestion speed? I believe so. I also go pulled over twice in 2 weeks for street racing, both times let me off with a warning. Each time going the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws. Also, one time, I witnessed an accident, pulled over, to tell the cops what had happened, and they asked me what I drove and tried to get me for street racing, once again, not doing anything wrong.

It is to my understand that anyone who isnt 40 years or older driving a Mustang GT they pull over.

I have witnessed this, being in the passanger seat of my own car. My father was driving and he was speeding, passed a cop, and nothing. The cop even looked at my father. But hey, I guess he was just too busy to pull him over, who knows.

But Ive been there, so your not the only one in that boat, for say.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappi187
Sanctus, hey man.

It is to my understanding that anyone who isnt 40 years or older driving a Mustang GT they pull over.

I have witnessed this, being in the passanger seat of my own car. My father was driving and he was speeding, passed a cop, and nothing. The cop even looked at my father. But hey, I guess he was just too busy to pull him over, who knows.
I am not yet 40 and I have yet to be pulled over in the Stang.

By the way, what is the passenger seat? I have never seen the view of my car from such
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to braupe
I am definately contesting this one.

Thanks for the advise

Just purchased 2006 GT! Perfectly stock... for now

2002 Mustang GT Premium. Sold :/
2001 Mustang GT. Sold :/
Apprentice

You and your parents should go down to the station and file a formal complant with his commanding officer. Tell him to either charge you now, or get off your butt. Don't let him harrass you. I'm a nurse and I see pushy cops all the time in the ER. Believe me, they do overstep their bounds thinking out of fear you'll let them get away with it.

Lagom är bäst!
2004 SVT convertible Cobra, 4.6L supercharged engine, factory yellow, black top, black leather interior with suede inserts, completely factory stock except for K&N air filter. Only 17,000+ miles. Not a nick, scratch, or dent anywhere.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorv22
When I was 16 and went to get my v6 my dealership wouldn't sell me a GT even if I had the money. They thought it was too much horsepower for a young kid. I agree.
lol when i turned my head to look at the GT500 the salesman tried selling me that too!

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Ok, here is my take on it. Yes, I am an attorney here in California so this may be applicable. There is no crime of exhibition of speed for simply getting tot he speed limit quickly. Exhibition of speed requires more, such screeching tires, another car to be racing, even an audience may qualify, but just get to the speed limit quckly not it. The reason you did not get a ticket si the police officer did not have enough on you. First, he must actually see you commit the violation, if any, before he can issue a citation. Next, for him to come up to your door then give you a citation would come dog-gone close to trampling your 4th Ammendment rights, he really would need a warrant to arrest your or such at your home. The officer can run your plates without probable casue, for reasonable suspicion is sufficient.

Without a doubt, he is using the intimidation factor. You could complain to the department he works for, but my guess is not much would happen. It is likely that the desk officer would consider that you were not harmed. I would becareful though, if he is watching you, he will pull you over for ANY infraction. Remember this, a minor infraction is still an infraction and will hold up in court (most of the time).
ok i was wrong... but is there an actual definition for this offense? does revving at a stoplight count? i've been wanting to know for a while...

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've awakened a....wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageV8
GTEXPRESS - we're watching you!
AAhh I've already said too much! I was only kiddin'. Hey wait a minute you're in Florida....bring it on then Vintage I ain't scared of you. Hey Sanctus keep us up to date on what happens the next couple of days.

Silver '05 Premium Convertible,5 Spd Mnl,IUP, C&L CAI, Bassani Axle Backs, Predator 91 Octane Tune, Hurst Shifter, IVA-310 Alpine touch screen stereo, 10" W7's 1500W HiFonics amp MB Quartz component speakers 600W HiFonics amp.
Apprentice

My friend is a police officer, and he told me if you complain to the guy's commanding officer, you yourself may not hear much about the results of your complaint, however, the chiefs do take complaints seriously and the original law officer IS going to hear about it.....

Lagom är bäst!
2004 SVT convertible Cobra, 4.6L supercharged engine, factory yellow, black top, black leather interior with suede inserts, completely factory stock except for K&N air filter. Only 17,000+ miles. Not a nick, scratch, or dent anywhere.
nghtrnnr

there you have it....almost universally we agree this guy was dead wrong...dont forget folks...while the vast majority of cops are cool...you have some who arent and some who are criminals....thats a fact...who knows where he is going with this....today hes threatening you...tomorrow hes asking for money in your living room to get off your back? this is an extreme scenario but it has happened...look up officer michael dowd in ny who admitted to using cocaine on the dash of his patrol car and raping a girl in the back seat....look up the book "mafia cop",the true story of the 2 detectives who were part time hit men for the mob....point is...it happens...and like others said...when something this off the wall occurs...take it seriously...and dont let this guy think hes got you running scared...
PONY Member
S197 Member

i am a cop...and you're done!...that cop is going to be so far up your ass you'll be tastin donuts everytime you get in that car!..oh yea, and go rat him out to his supervisor, that will make it better....do yourself a favor and trade that stang in for a minivan!..."i fought the law, and the law won!"

06 GT PREMIUM Manual, 18's, Hurst billet, Webelectric sequentials, painted 10" stripes, Cervini KR500 hood w/functional ram air kit, K&N air filter, Cervini side exhaust, chin spoiler, hood struts, rear ducktail, quarter panel scoops, and quarter window scoops, Midweat Auto Gear strut tower covers, 1/2 mirror covers, and fuel rail covers. Pioneer touch screeen head unit w/blue tooth, dvd & sirius.Also haves: 1969 Lemans & 1968 Firebird.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Express
AAhh I've already said too much! I was only kiddin'. Hey wait a minute you're in Florida....bring it on then Vintage I ain't scared of you. Hey Sanctus keep us up to date on what happens the next couple of days.
In Calfiornia exhibition of speed is a subjective standard. For example, if a minivan reved his engine at a stop light, it is likely that no polic eofficer would pull the driver over and issue an exhibiton of speed ticket. But if a hot rod, or say a Mustang, did the same thing, well now it may be a different story. The exhibit speed, you must do something that is essentially showing off or showing the world that you posses speed and are able and willing to use it. The secret here is the totallity of the circumstances. Some things like smoking or squealing tires is a sure way to get the ticket, while things like reving your engine will depend on the circumstances and judgment of the officer, and while things like getting to the speed limit quickly or trying to pass someone legally, in of themselves, should not be construed as exihibition of speed.
S197 Member

I was down that road in the past, I complained about one officer .....next thing I knew it was now all of his buds pulling me over for any and everything. this was back in the 70's when stationed in VA. (Navy)

Started documenting and recording the conversations when pulled over. If I had witnesses I had them sign my notebook I kept all of the info in. The recording were not for the court but for the State police to hear, when I filled a complaint with them. They listens to many recording and read the documentations. The state police investigated my complaint and everything stopped. This was done on the recommendations of base legal services.

I wouldn't do anything right now, it was just a verbal warning. If things start happening....Start documenting everything. Then choose if you want to his station and complain or go to a lawyer.

I was not completly innocent either. I drove a 69 mach 1 428 cj 4sp and I did play.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page