need a price for cams - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

need a price for cams

hey does anyone had there car cammed yet what is the h/p differnce and is it worth doing? i need a price installed i really dont want to mess with it too much.if so where is a good place to have them installed near philly

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Figure about $700-$900 for parts and another $800 labor. And it requires special Ford tools (another $300). Not sure of anyone near you. Not an inexpensive job.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
S197 Member

A guy on another forum just did comp cams stage 3 and I believe he got a 30 horse increase at the tire. Only bad thing was he gained no peak torque

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER06MUSTANG
A guy on another forum just did comp cams stage 3 and I believe he got a 30 horse increase at the tire. Only bad thing was he gained no peak torque
Something's really wrong there. I gained almost 35 rwhp and ~30 rwtq above 4000 rpm. I did lose a little low end torque (~5 ftlbs) after the install.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Something's really wrong there. I gained almost 35 rwhp and ~30 rwtq above 4000 rpm. I did lose a little low end torque (~5 ftlbs) after the install.
He is running the canned tune from Brenspeed still and is scheduling a custom tune soon and expects to see his numbers to go up.

Which cam did you go with on your car to see those numbers? What else have you done to your engine and what's your rwhp now?

Thanks,
-danny
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
S197 Member

what special tool do you need???
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
He is running the canned tune from Brenspeed still and is scheduling a custom tune soon and expects to see his numbers to go up.

Which cam did you go with on your car to see those numbers? What else have you done to your engine and what's your rwhp now?

Thanks,
-danny
In addition to the stage 1s, just a few other boltons, no internal work. The cam numbers are a best guess since I also did the LT headers/x-pipe at the same time. So I don't have a 'cam-only' dyno run. With everyting in my sig (minus the CMCV deletes which are still in the box) I'm @316 rwhp on a Mustang chassis dyno. On a dynojet I would estimate somewhere in the low 340s.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
S197 Member

The dyno sheets the guy i am speaking of posted only showed gains above 4k. The problem with the gains were he lost tw at around 4500 and at around 5 he got it back and the torque didn't fall off as fast. He only gained a peak of 2 rwtq
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagess
what special tool do you need???
In addition to a specialty TDC-stop there's a whole set of other tools (degree wheels, pointers, cam lift indicator) required to degree and install.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

so far these are the tools that i have acquired besides the standard tools like a degree wheel:

3v specific spring compressor
chain wedge
air nozzle adapter to 16mm
16mm piston stop (custom crafted by me)

grand total over 300 bucks

now i just need to find the time

and for the record that guys dyno was posted on the corral on a thread that i started and if you look at the comparison, yeah he does only make gains over 4k rpm but when you are in a racing situation the car is really never below 4k rpms. Think about when you are running the quarter and you shift at 6200-6300 or sometimes higher the engine drops down to like 3800-3900. Most of your time is spent in that rpm range where these cams make a difference. If you want something that helps out below that level to give you a boost running around the streets or going to pick up some groceries then thats fine but if you want to talk about racing these cams work.

2005 Mustang GT , 5-speed , Satin Silver
Whipple with lots of extras
11.6 @ 121
PONY Member
S197 Member

what do you hp and tq gains look like below 4,000 RPM? im not even sure this is a valid question.

2006 GT....White On Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page