rearends walking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

rearends walking

do any of you guys have any problem with the rearend of the cars wanting to come around when it is wet outside. I live in Oregon up by portland so we get alot of rain and my mom has a 2002 mustang 5 speed V6 and well the rearend likes to come around when your just driving like you would on a dry day and the next thing you know your spun around. so just wondering if you guys have any problems with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Absolutely. The S-197 is just as bad or worse as previous years. Even with traction control it's still a dog in the rain.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

okay, my dad and i like it how it does it but my mom hates it so, yeah, thanks

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
S197 Member

"I live in Oregon up by portland so we get alot of rain and my mom has a 2002 mustang 5 speed V6 and well the rearend likes to come around when your just driving like you would on a dry day and the next thing you know your spun around."
I used to live in Massachusetts and New Jersey and remember when it rained or especially snowed, we all were aware and the weatherman made us aware the driving conditions were more slippery and dangerous and to slow down.
I would think the road would become more slippery just about everywhere. Just a thought.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman351W
my mom has a 2002 mustang 5 speed V6 and well the rearend likes to come around when your just driving like you would on a dry day and the next thing you know your spun around.
The problem isnt so much with the car as it is with your driving, your quote above is the perfect example. "the rearend likes to come around when your just driving like you would on a dry day".

You cant drive the car in wet weather like you would in dry, just for the simple fact that it's wet out. The road conditions are different and not optimal so you should be more cautious, alert and slower.

A lot of people make the mistake of driving their cars (any make or model.) in wet weather like they would in dry, it's a common mistake.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
S197 Member

The next thing you know your spun around is kinda scary...back out of it dude!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONECOLD
The problem isnt so much with the car as it is with your driving, your quote above is the perfect example. "the rearend likes to come around when your just driving like you would on a dry day".

You cant drive the car in wet weather like you would in dry, just for the simple fact that it's wet out. The road conditions are different and not optimal so you should be more cautious, alert and slower.

A lot of people make the mistake of driving their cars (any make or model.) in wet weather like they would in dry, it's a common mistake.
Good point... You do have to be extra careful with any RWD application. I never have problems in any of my FWD cars.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
S197 Member

How unfortunate the 16 year old that originally posted, seems to have but one adult or should I say prudent parent- "okay, my dad and i like it how it does it but my mom hates it so, yeah, thanks".
I would think a parent who thinks losing the rear end on wet pavement would think twice before doing it to impress his son with his imprudent driving skills.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

The dirty secret about or so called "sports car" Mustangs is that they don't handle as well as other cars having an independent rear end. Why the idiots at Ford decided not to give the new Mustang an IRS is beyond me. Even in dry driving, driving at aggressive speed on an interstate bank and hitting even a little ripple in the pavement causes the rear-end to twitch....in a way, this is a shame for such a so-called "sports car". I realize the GT has better road manners then the V6 that I have, but even the GT has lots of opportunity for improvement. What where the engineers thinking? smoking? Drinking?
Classic Member
S197 Member

While an IRS may be better situated for road racing, the 3 link setup in the new Mustang is far better for the strip than any IRS setup and is far more durable. In a straight line, a solid axle is my preference, and I'm sure a majority of the other 1/4 milers on here would agree.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovcom
The dirty secret about or so called "sports car" Mustangs is that they don't handle as well as other cars having an independent rear end.
Mine handles great. No problems or unpredictability, at all. I drive it year round and it handles awesome in the snow. Gosh, don't drive like an idiot and the car won't let you down. Take it easy.

As to why they didn't put an independent rear end in, all I can guess is that it was too quirky or undependable. I like it but that hop-in-the-turns can be unnerving if you haven't experienced it before!

The new Explorers all have an independent rear. I have been considering checking one out when they hit the junkyards and seeing if it would fit my Jag. Now that I have a Mustang I wonder if it would fit that, with minimal rigging ("sorry sir, all we have is American rigging").

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
The reason the new cars dont have IRS is due to the fact that it costs more money so to keep the cost down and the price more affordable they use a solid rear axle.

The car handles just fine, its people not knowing the cars limitations or their own that really causes problems. For example in the past I had an 82 Trans-Am, no ABS, no 4 wheel disk brakes and certainly none of the handling of todays cars, muscle or otherwise.

On occasion I drove that car in the snow, ice, in extremely wet weather etc without ever losing control of the car. Did it suck? You bet it did, but with patience, vigilance and knowing the car's limits and my own I still managed to get around in bad conditions when it was necessary.

All I'm saying is, know your car and what it can and cant do as well as yourself.
It goes a really long way to help keep you and others safe.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageV8
How unfortunate the 16 year old that originally posted, seems to have but one adult or should I say prudent parent- "okay, my dad and i like it how it does it but my mom hates it so, yeah, thanks".
I would think a parent who thinks losing the rear end on wet pavement would think twice before doing it to impress his son with his imprudent driving skills.
Its he used to drive my grandpas dirt track cars and so throwing the rearend is what he is used to and he likes it, not that he is trying to impress me.

My brother in law did the same thing - always screwing around while driving. Now my nephew has his license. Well at least until next months appearance in front of the judge. Needless to say, his dad's playing around got him into it and now he has no SELF CONTROL when driving. They both think that when the other idiot drivers are tailgating - they want to race. Next thing you know they're doing 100.

And my nephew thought he was gonna be able to drive MY stang... yea - right.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member

oh man that sucks, i have self control like i only mess around when i am the only one on the road and i have no one else with me, or after a bad day at wrestling practice, my friends and i play in the parking lot, we play with: a '74 camaro with a 454, '67 caramo RS with 327, '06 mustang V6, '02 mustang V6, '92 f-150 with a race built 302, and we have fun with them, there is no babying any of these cars. that most likely made me sound like every other 16-25 year old male on the road, but i don't care. Most of you guys probably did this when you where younger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page