Cost for Painting Front Bumper - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006 Thread Starter

Cost for Painting Front Bumper

I recently scratched my front bumper against a gay BMW 3 series. What should I expect to pay to have my front bumper painted. Also, What have you guys paid for getting stripes painted. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Polyurethane

These new bumpers are all polyurethane. Great, until you have to paint or repair them.

3M makes a unique urethane repair filler/patch which is the preferred repair method, but its pricey. If the Beemer (I have my own histories with some of them myself) did more than scratch the paint, they'll need to sand down and patch the gouge or crack. If the urethane is too badly damaged, it might well be cheaper to replace the bumper.

Doing the repair right (assuming spot paint just won't do) involves removing the bumper cover, cleaning and sanding the whole thing, any repairs necessary, and a repaint with the specifiied (paints that go over polyurethane are specially formulated to remain flexible)sealer, primer, color coat and clear. $600 at a high quality shop for the works.

Estimating the repairs without examining the bits is really hard, but that's close.

Some

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006
S197 Member

$600 is not to far off depending on the damage and the part of the country you live in.

I recently damage my bumper. So I'm having it replaced, painted and stripes put on and the estimate I got was $550. That included the removal of the old, prepping the new bumper, painting it white w/red stripes, clearcoating and of course installing.

I just need to decide on which new front fascia I want.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I talked to my shop about a new rear bumper and was quatoed $500 to prep, paint and install a new rear bumper. However, was told could be more if there are a lot of fit issues (typical of aftermarket products). As for stripes, I just had stripes painted on my new CD hood, and the price difference as opposed to without stripes was nominal. But if I wanted the stripes to go from front to rear or down the sides (like Boss or Foose stripes) then I was essentially looking at $2k-$3K, so I decided to go with a simple yet bold statement.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hey, a Mercedes driver backed up her car and the front of my bumper got scratched by the entire length of her car...My car was parked on the street and she was backing up to get to work. The Ford dealer charged her $720 complete. The took off my bumber and repainted the entire thing. She was a lawyer and she tried to get out of it, but her husband (a photo-journalist) told her to do the right thing...glad he came to my rescue....shame that she had to be talked into doing the right thing....the days we live in!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

By the way Jason82, your snide remark about "gay BMW drivers" only shows how childish you are. There are many gay men that drive Mustangs too! My Girlfriend's brother drives a 2006 Mustang GT!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006
S197 Member

As an altenative you can purchase a take off front bumper cover from companies like Steeda or Roush already painted in your color and brand spankin new for under $200. A good friend of mine just did this after buggering his front bumper. They are very easy to remove/install. Just give them a call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page