Which is the best UDP set + Axle back exhaust? - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
Niko8's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Winters
Posts: 51
 
Question Which is the best UDP set + Axle back exhaust?

Which underdrive pulley set gives the most gain in horsepower? Which is the easiest to install?

Is there any gain from putting on a new axle back exhaust? Which would be the best? Slp loudmouth?


05' Mustang GT: sonic blue, manual
433.1 rwhp

Kenne Bell 2.6L SC; Powerhouse aluminum driveshaft; Hurst short-throw stick; 4.10 gears; shorty headers; x-pipe; Flowmaster axle back
exterior: shorty antenna; billet fuel door; MBK taillights gen 1; MBK gen 2 headlights; American Racing Casino 18" rims
interior: billet door pins, speaker covers, control knobs, e-brake handle
Niko8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
moose_knuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Northern
Posts: 348
 
Well its kind of funny you couldnt find anything on here from searching. I will take into consideration that your just too lazy to even look.

I wouldn't say one set is a lot harder to put in than another, but I have heard good things about steeda, and i think the other brand i heard about was motoblue...or whatever it is on rpmoutlet. You will gain roughly 8-10 hp and gain about 2mpg.

No gain from an axle back on our cars. I have the slp LM's and the axle back is more of what sound you like. dont forget to take your midpipe and headers into consideration. It all depends on what sound you like and how loud you want your car to be. HTH


2006 GT....White On Black.
moose_knuckle is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
kenzostang4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 360
 
steeda ud pullies. my exaust set up is pypes off road x with flowmaster but im sure there is better. all depends what you want i think slp is more expensive.and louder but they are just baffels...like straight pipes

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
kenzostang4 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I run motoblue U/D pullies and harmonic balancer. Very good quality. Axleback is for sound only. There are no real gains unless you start adding headers and a new midpipe. SLP LMs are just a straight through resonator. There are no chambers or baffles. They sound great with stock exhaust manifolds and H pipe.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
tached_out's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Clovis, Ca
Posts: 2,636
 
UDP's are all going to be pretty much the same. I never went with them just because of other great mods their are that you will get better response from.

Axle back in my opinion is on of the best mods you can get and the most popular. I would just figure out what type of sound you are looking for. Though SLP LM's are loud but do you want raspy. The Ford Racing ones sound great and correct me if I am wrong are made by Borla. Which will give you a deep tone. Bassani makes a great exhaust to. So just find some sound clips and think about how you want to it sound. You will get no noticable gain by them at all. You honestly probably wont even notice a new mid pipe except for the sound unless you go force induction.

I would say go for a good axle back and get a custom tune. Tuning seems to be the best thing that you can do for these cars. If you have a canned tune save up and get an aggressive tune. 4.10 gears are great to. A short throw shifter, Clutch, Flywheel all make great mods. Also another huge thing that I am big on is building your car for what you want it to be. Dont get to excited and just start buying mods. I lost over a 1000$$ cause of that. I went with a supercharger only months after I bought my CAI, Performance Chip, Custom Tune (some places will make you new tunes for life all you have to do is email them or go to them and they will update it) Strut tower brace (wont fit any more) all of those parts are just now sitting collecting dust. So think long and hard what you want to build up.

PROCHARGER P1SC<WHIPPLE 3.4L
5.0 Stroker Built and Blown
"DEVISTATOR"
Check out my build thread in 2005+ Talk
tached_out is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tact_out
UDP's are all going to be pretty much the same. I never went with them just because of other great mods their are that you will get better response from.

Axle back in my opinion is on of the best mods you can get and the most popular. I would just figure out what type of sound you are looking for. Though SLP LM's are loud but do you want raspy. The Ford Racing ones sound great and correct me if I am wrong are made by Borla. Which will give you a deep tone. Bassani makes a great exhaust to. So just find some sound clips and think about how you want to it sound. You will get no noticable gain by them at all. You honestly probably wont even notice a new mid pipe except for the sound unless you go force induction.

I would say go for a good axle back and get a custom tune. Tuning seems to be the best thing that you can do for these cars. If you have a canned tune save up and get an aggressive tune. 4.10 gears are great to. A short throw shifter, Clutch, Flywheel all make great mods. Also another huge thing that I am big on is building your car for what you want it to be. Dont get to excited and just start buying mods. I lost over a 1000$$ cause of that. I went with a supercharger only months after I bought my CAI, Performance Chip, Custom Tune (some places will make you new tunes for life all you have to do is email them or go to them and they will update it) Strut tower brace (wont fit any more) all of those parts are just now sitting collecting dust. So think long and hard what you want to build up.
Some good points... However... Canned and aggressive should never be used in the same sentence. I would never put an aggressive tune on my car without some dyno verification. For canned, you want a good 'safe' performance tune or you run the risk of making the engine go boom Save your money on the clutch & flywheel unless this is primarily a track car.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
moose_knuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Northern
Posts: 348
 
Damn, tact was nice enough to lay out your future mods. I was just answering questions. Ill try to be more like tact next time. Only thing i would say is dont get a tuner untill you actually put a mod on your car that add some significant HP....(CAI, FRPP CMRC deletes, etc). Other than that im sure we have pretty much covered alll your bases.

2006 GT....White On Black.
moose_knuckle is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member
 
mrvandermey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,243
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tact_out
UDP's are all going to be pretty much the same. I never went with them just because of other great mods their are that you will get better response from.

Axle back in my opinion is on of the best mods you can get and the most popular. I would just figure out what type of sound you are looking for. Though SLP LM's are loud but do you want raspy. The Ford Racing ones sound great and correct me if I am wrong are made by Borla. Which will give you a deep tone. Bassani makes a great exhaust to. So just find some sound clips and think about how you want to it sound. You will get no noticable gain by them at all. You honestly probably wont even notice a new mid pipe except for the sound unless you go force induction.

I would say go for a good axle back and get a custom tune. Tuning seems to be the best thing that you can do for these cars. If you have a canned tune save up and get an aggressive tune. 4.10 gears are great to. A short throw shifter, Clutch, Flywheel all make great mods. Also another huge thing that I am big on is building your car for what you want it to be. Dont get to excited and just start buying mods. I lost over a 1000$$ cause of that. I went with a supercharger only months after I bought my CAI, Performance Chip, Custom Tune (some places will make you new tunes for life all you have to do is email them or go to them and they will update it) Strut tower brace (wont fit any more) all of those parts are just now sitting collecting dust. So think long and hard what you want to build up.
I have to agree with most of this. I too spent a lot of extra cash on mods I thought were important at the time. In my case, most of the mods, especially the visual mods, I had a plan for. Hence why my car is coming along nicely. However, I too have spent money on mods that are rapidly becoming dust collectors. I was one of the foolish ones to buy a throttle body and TB Spacer before finding out about the minimal gains from them. I am still using the TB, but have since removed the TB spacer. I bought the polished strut tower brace and the custom plenum cover (neither were cheap), but now I am seriously consider going with a Saleen S/C, so either or both of these mods will have to go.

If cost is an issue, there is no real reason to purhcase some of the well known mods...i.e. the axel back exhaust will change the sound (presumably improve), but do not add significant gains (without other mods). The TB will improve throttle resonse, but the gains are minimal (if any) compared to the costs. Steeda UDPs are great, but pricey because they carry the Steeda name (same with Saleen and Rousch). Laslty, some mods give you what you want, but are not street legal, especially if you are in a smog state, i.e. California. So you should plan out your car and its mods, and figure out what exactly do you want. Some on here (i.e. 5-20, kj_cinci, etc) want or have eseentially street legal race cars, while others is really into the car show quality cars; and others want a fair mix in between (i.e. mrvandermey) the street legal race car and the show quality show-car.

You should definitely plan out what you want and work towards that goal.


On another note, I have a question, is a Brenspeed tune (where the tuner asks for what I have on the car and what I intend to put on the car then makes the tune) considered a cusotm tune or a canned tune?
mrvandermey is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
On another note, I have a question, is a Brenspeed tune (where the tuner asks for what I have on the car and what I intend to put on the car then makes the tune) considered a cusotm tune or a canned tune?
It's not truly a custom tune unless you put your car on a dyno and measure all the parameters using livelink and a wideband A/F. Brenspeed and Bama among others are canned or what I would call 'semi-custom' since they do account for your mods. But they still can vary widely from car to car.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
moose_knuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Northern
Posts: 348
 
considered a tuned can. A custom tune is specific to that car, which usually means a dyno tune. Im pretty sure that it. How come when i asked an exhaust question when i first got here you guys didn't help me plan out my car. I got thrown to the wolves. Feel special niko.

P.S. I HATE how fast stlwagon responds. You kill my post count. Ill leave this post anyways

2006 GT....White On Black.
moose_knuckle is offline  
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle
considered a tuned can. A custom tune is specific to that car, which usually means a dyno tune. Im pretty sure that it. How come when i asked an exhaust question when i first got here you guys didn't help me plan out my car. I got thrown to the wolves. Feel special niko.

P.S. I HATE how fast stlwagon responds. You kill my post count. Ill leave this post anyways
Just too slow on the draw there bud!

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
scramblr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Geilenkirchen AB Germany
Posts: 633
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
On another note, I have a question, is a Brenspeed tune (where the tuner asks for what I have on the car and what I intend to put on the car then makes the tune) considered a cusotm tune or a canned tune?
That was a good answer...In reference to your question, I'm running both Bamachips and Brenspeed tunes. They both do ask what we're running and adjust our tunes based on what we're running. They'll also adjust the tunes based on additional modifications.

However, I would have to say they are canned since our cars aren't on the dyno, but with custom modifications due to some cars not having the same mods. That's why a "canned" SCT tune that comes with the tuner isn't so great. It's to "safe" and does not take into consideration what the car is running. In short, I feel tunes from both of these guys are both, canned with a custom tweak. Personnaly I can't wait until I get back to the States so I can make a trip to one of them to "custom" tune my car. Roadtrip!!

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
scramblr is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
moose_knuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Northern
Posts: 348
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon
Just too slow on the draw there bud!
LOL. Yea that, and the tree.

2006 GT....White On Black.
moose_knuckle is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
 
mrvandermey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,243
 
Garage
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is about tunes and so forth....

If I am looking to get a Saleen S/C, plus the other mods already on, where would I go for a "custom tune?" Anyone know of any place in Calfiornia? I have heard about APEX Motorsports in San Jose, any opinions, recommendations, etc? Does a custom tune, work with the canned tune or totally replaces it? Doe sit use the same SCT XCal2 tuner or do I need a new tuner, or worse yet, it can only be doen by a "qualified technician?"

As for the other mods, I pretty much understand (thanks to the extremely knowledgeable guys here) what to expect from most of the other mods (still working this CMCV delete concept).
mrvandermey is offline  
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is about tunes and so forth....

If I am looking to get a Saleen S/C, plus the other mods already on, where would I go for a "custom tune?" Anyone know of any place in Calfiornia? I have heard about APEX Motorsports in San Jose, any opinions, recommendations, etc? Does a custom tune, work with the canned tune or totally replaces it? Doe sit use the same SCT XCal2 tuner or do I need a new tuner, or worse yet, it can only be doen by a "qualified technician?"

As for the other mods, I pretty much understand (thanks to the extremely knowledgeable guys here) what to expect from most of the other mods (still working this CMCV delete concept).
A dyno tune will start with your existing tune as a baseline and build on it until the desired performance level is achieved. You bring your tuner with you and they will upload the new tune(s) on the device. Also good to get the tunes in softcopy (.ll3 file) to have as a backup.


1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 stock exhaust vs 2006 stock exhaust Benz-vettes 2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech 4 07-17-2008 06:18 PM
Is $650 good price for JBA Axel Back Exhaust installed? the72fins 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech 6 06-30-2006 09:46 PM
2006 exhaust ?'s moose_knuckle 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 13 06-13-2006 05:04 PM
Exhaust bypass - better or worse then catback? GTStang31 4.6L Tech 2 05-30-2006 12:37 PM
HELP! Which is the loudest axle back exhaust for 05 GT? RUNMYGT 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 13 07-31-2005 03:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1