Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think I am done modding my Stang.

6K views 76 replies 32 participants last post by  Gary Paul 
#1 ·
As crazy as it sounds, I honestly think I am done modding my Stang. For many reasons, I think I am not going do any further modifications to my Stang and I may un-mod a few mods.

First, it is the cost issue. I have spent way too much money making improvements on my Stang, and for what reason? Second, most of my mods have had freaking situations, like hood snot fitting, spoilers breaking, parts not performing, and parts not fitting or looking good.

As mentioend in other threads, my hood is giving me flapping issues and now I have scrapped my tonneau cover project. I have even decided to scrap the supercharger idea and most other "in the near future" mods. There is even a remote possiblity I may just sell the entire car to be done with it (I grant, I am nowhere near an accurate decision on that idea...yet).

Originally, I was like many of you, I wanted to keep the car stock. Then I realized I wanted a bit more power and then better performance, and of course the right look. Next thing I know, I have spent a smal fourtune on modifications to a car I had expeceted to keep stock. Gee, that modification bug is a doosey!!! :rolleyes:

#2 ·
I have not been here on the forums long enough to know you all that well...however, from what I do know by reading a bunch of stuff on here, that does not sound like you at all. I hope you don't have to end up selling it, as is my hope for all of us. Maybe you could try and recover some of your costs from several of your mods (i.e. removing what you can with little to no extra expense and selling) and keep the ones that you absolutely couldn't imagine your car without in order to keep it "your" car. That way you can still keep the car, enjoy it, and pamper it all the same. :)

G
#3 ·
Does the "remote chance" of selling come from frustration or boredom? If it's boredom just come up with a completely different angle on modding and go that way. I've read all your posts through all your unfortunate mishaps and situations and I think it's just par for the course. You've got a beautiful ride and it would be a shame to just have someone else buy it without the love and effort that you put in to it.

Trust me... you'd miss it if you didn't have it.

#6 ·
It's a vicious cycle, that's for sure. I don't want to mod mine too heavily, and I try to do a lot of research (to the point of obsession) before doing anything. Sadly, there is a lot of advertising aimed at making us want that next mod. It's hard when you read those articles on the latest supercharger or full suspension kit.

I try to stick to the things that will make a difference in my daily driving. Even with a s/c, how often will I really be in the boost? I've had the car 2 years (almost) and have yet to put it on the drag strip, so do I really need all those LCAs and adjustable UCA??

Of course, if you enjoy doing the work then the modding becomes it's own hobby, just like the old school hot rodder. Every real hotrodder I new sold a car not long after he finished it. the joy comes from planning, buyng, installing, and testing. Just driving it is sort of anticlimatic. But that quickly becomes a rich man's game.

So what's the answer? Heck if I know. Keep the things that improve the experience or that you like to look at. There's alway somebody out there faster or more modded, so you might as well just stick to what makes you happy.

Wow. That's my longest post ever.

EDIT: One other thing, and I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. Drive your car more. Sure, it might get chipped, or dirty. But, the thing that makes spending all this time and money worth it is the driving. That's what it's all about.

#7 ·
I must say, it is definitely a disease :rockwoot:

I have so many ideas and plans, but limited on $$. I plan on keeping this car 10 years+, so I'll do a couple more cosmetic things, pay it off and performance mod it later.......when parts may need replacing anyway. I just love it as my daily driver, I've had it for a year now and I still smile on my way to work. Ok, I stopped taking the long way to work now.......................

#8 ·
I'm taking a forced break from modifications. I was laid off last week. Fortunetly, I paid cash for everything so I'm almost bill free. Everything I bought myself for Christmas has been installed and I can resist further mods until I am once again gainfully employed. All I have to do now is figure out if I want to get a job in my previous field or choose something I really want to do regardless of the cut in pay I may have to take.

#9 ·
Ironically, I have the money to mod. That is part of my problem. Sometimes I fall in that category of "more money than sense." I too have paid cash (or short term financing, i.e. 30 days) for everything and the car itself is paid off. So money is not really the issue. It is more the point of wasting money that may be better spent elsewhere.

I am no longer convinced that modding is necessary or even entirely desireable. In many cases, it seems more trouble or expense than the mod is worth.

#10 ·
It's easy to get caught up in the modding bug. I have to be careful with how I spend my money, so I think long and hard before I commit to anything. In my case, emulating the '69 Mach 1 has actually saved me money. If it wasn't on the '69, I don't use it. That meant my paint scheme was pretty conservative, and no body kits. Since I like to cruise and not race, I'm happy with the performance and handling. So very little was spent there. I have a couple of small under hood items, like braided hoses and Pi-Thon hose clamps to do for this season, and maybe a set of hood pins and I'm done. Next season I've got some chrome work I want done, but that can wait. I did the valve covers, and I'm really happy with those. If I can find the grille I want, the outside is completely done.
Ask yourself this; What is it you want out of the car? Why did you buy it in the first place? Enjoy the car. You worked hard on it. There's nothing saying you have to continue modding.

#11 ·
Gee, MrV, just last night you were all hot on superchargers.

You'll be OKAY, it's just a phase. Just keep thinking about 445 RWHP.

Am I a pusher man?

#12 ·
Hey V, what ever you decide think it over for at least a couple of days before you do it.

#13 ·
As i mentioned, I have not yet made any definitive plans, but someone mentioned here, it is a combo of frustration and boredom.

I agree, I need to walk away from it for a few days. I went ahead and covered the Stang up so it is out of sight and out of mind. Maybe if I come at it form another angle I will convince myself to keep the car and maybe even finish the original plan I had for the car. We'll see.

#14 ·
I tell ya Mr. V.....I know how ya feel. I have modded everything I ever owned. Cars, trucks, harleys. you name it....I've owned it and modded it. As the guys I work with say....I never saw anything on wheels I couldnt make better. Thats why I could never own anything like a Shelby GT 500. Talk about losing money.....that car cant be messed with.
The last Harley I had....I tore it down to the frame 3 times and started over because I was never happy with it when I was finished. Then when I was finally satisfied.....I sold it to a friend for half of what I had in it.
Modding becomes more than a hobby for some of us. It becomes our passion......and we all need a passion. Hell......I have friends that are into golf. I've seen them spend a couple thousand bucks for a set of new clubs....only to turn around and drop 500 bucks for the latest and greatest driver. They are more obsessed than we are.
And modding our cars is about more than the money we spend......its about sharing our ideals and experiences with others who understand why we do the things we do. Its about belonging to an elite group of special people that in time become like family.
Hang in there Mr. V......we have good times to share and stories to tell. :hihi:

#15 ·
I've seen people in the sport compact segment get like this. They spend hours on end and tons of money modding their sport compact to the point where they are questioning what they are doing or why they are even doing it. I think you my friend just need a change of scenary. I would say if you have a trusted friend or family member, let them take the car off your hands for a little while (laying down ground rules of course). See how it's like to come home to a garage where the Mustang isn't there...see if you will feel better or worse about it. I understand you have the Mustang covered up to give yourself a break, but it's still there in the garage so in a way, your mind still knows what lays in that garage. With it physically out of sight...you may have a better chance of grasping if you really want to keep it or really get rid of it.

Also, with your job I know you don't get to drive it that often (as you have stated) but have you thought about picking up a 2nd Mustang? This way you can keep it stock and use it as your daily driver...a workhorse of sorts so that when you are back home you can use it as your daily driver to the office and not worry about losing that wonderful feeling of Mustang ownership.

I just hate to see someone who put so much (more than I ever could at this point) passion and money into a project car turn away from it for one reason or another.

#17 ·
I think I am not going do any further modifications to my Stang and I may un-mod a few mods.

I may just sell the entire car to be done with it.
That's how I feel right now, too.:rolleyes:

#19 ·
Wow man I know what your going through. Well not in my car :p, but in my bros dodge. Dodge dakota, v8, 4.7. Thing runs like 16 stock. It was his college project car, now it runs 14.5s (on street tires) and 13s with slicks.

Thing is, hes put about $5,000 into the truck (not including maintance). I tease him all the time, "damn dude you have $20,000 (mods plus purchase) into a truck that only runs 14s, I could take half of that and buy a used car that can run better". Thing is its not like he puts $1,000 in, and goes and wins races and makes it back.

My personal reflection on mods... mods are seriously toys, thats it. There is NO economical advantage to modding your car.
-Mods cost a **** load of $$
- Lower the value of your car (sometimes)
- Break old parts (s/c, turbo, other things)

But if you did buy another car, I guarantee you would mod it as well. And if you didn't spend your money on mods what else would you spend it on? Hell I would spend more money on drinks and going out and ****, so either way the money is gone. At least when you mod you can say, "hey hear that exhaust, thats where my $500 went".

#20 ·
Maybe you need to sell,(or store for your daughter) and start a new stang with your new found knowledge. Seems like the car would be a collector in stock form with your pampering tendancy.
I didn't buy my stang to race, I bought it because I have Mustangs in my blood from my mid' 80's Fox body experience(high school). I have a few friends with '95-'04 stangs and they are bada$$ but the new body style just grabbed me. In the future I'll get a shifter(Hurst for styling) and axle back, but I hope my car is the same in 10 years.
My son is 8 and suddenly I find myself looking for 4 banger Fox bodys cheap. I'd love to strip and rebuild one as a mild 5LTR for him in 10 years. That should curb my craving for modding the '06.
Good luck with this, I hope you keep your car.

#23 ·
Well the car is in the garage with a cover on it and I have not even been in the garage since I started this thread.

I am really fighting the possibility that I am simply loosing interest in my car. Hence why the mods are not making much sense to me right now.

#24 ·
Sounds like you are going through manopause. How old are you?

:shigrin

#25 ·
Mr. V-
I went on a little bit of an extended vacation recently and was away from this wonderful site. Upon my return, I've been recently catching up on some of the posts and found this one the most shocking. While I do understand your your boredom and frustration with money spent vs. satisfaction, I am concerned with you as the person who always had an upbeat attitude toward everything from the Stang to how someone dealt with their better half.

If you are truly completely "done" with your Stang then I would recommend trading it ot selling it and purchasing the 07' to "start from scratch". I would definitley stay with the Mustang GT because now you have that much more experience dealing with the potential after market mods that are out there being offered. Furthermore the market has honed in even more than they were two years ago. One thing that I regret with my own Stang is the fact that I didn't let the market become more saturated with the types and styles of mods that are ou there now. I rushed a little bit. I got my car in Nov. 04' and there wasn't much around so whenever I saw something that looked appealing I jumped on it. I didn't necessarily matter how much it cost or how I was going to install it, I just wanted it NOW, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, maybe it was just a bad day for you when you made your post. I hope all is well.

#26 ·
Mr. V-
I went on a little bit of an extended vacation recently and was away from this wonderful site. Upon my return, I've been recently catching up on some of the posts and found this one the most shocking. While I do understand your your boredom and frustration with money spent vs. satisfaction, I am concerned with you as the person who always had an upbeat attitude toward everything from the Stang to how someone dealt with their better half.

If you are truly completely "done" with your Stang then I would recommend trading it ot selling it and purchasing the 07' to "start from scratch". I would definitley stay with the Mustang GT because now you have that much more experience dealing with the potential after market mods that are out there being offered. Furthermore the market has honed in even more than they were two years ago. One thing that I regret with my own Stang is the fact that I didn't let the market become more saturated with the types and styles of mods that are ou there now. I rushed a little bit. I got my car in Nov. 04' and there wasn't much around so whenever I saw something that looked appealing I jumped on it. I didn't necessarily matter how much it cost or how I was going to install it, I just wanted it NOW, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, maybe it was just a bad day for you when you made your post. I hope all is well.

Thank you for your concern. I am still upbeat and enjoying life. All is well. I do have a plan. I am taking the advice of those here on this site, I am letting a trusted family memeber have my car for a while.

Now, I love my brother to death (he is my favorite family member), so he is getting the use of my Stang for awhile. He does however have a lead foot, five kids (four that live with him, 2 are driving age, 3 are high strung boys), and a wife with even a heavier foot. I have talked to him, in theory only he will be driving it. He has agreed not to drive in the rain or park it out side, that is what his supercharged truck is for. He picks it up tonight, so I will see how it feels when my Stang drives away without me. Ought to be interesting at best.:rolleyes:

#27 ·
Yikes!!!!
The one time I let my brother drive my car he lit the tires up so bad (right in front of me btw) that the white smoke from the tires completely blocked out the car for around 30 secs.

#29 ·
My brother is buying my car off me. I finally parked it at my mom's and he's flying up today from Houston to drive it home after staying the weekend. It was hard leaving the car, but since my sister had it for a month or so, I didn't cry (much).

He's already bought new Borla mufflers, springs, gt500 front end, 14" brakes all around. He's going to put new rims on it and is buying a turbo. I'm sure a short throw shifter is in the works too.

Come to find out, he's building it into his drag car for the track. At least my baby will get what she deserves.

#33 ·
Dude, I couldn't sell my Stang if I had to. I've waited my whole life for this car to come around, and now that I have it, and have customized to to my liking, it's not likely to ever be sold.

Hope it turns out good for you in the end.

-danny
I feel the same way... I'll likely have other daily drivers, but I think I'll be hanging on to this one for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.