Help gettin off the line. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jre8806 Send a message via Skype™ to jre8806
Help gettin off the line.

hey guys was wondering what ic an do to get the stang to get off the line much quicker than usual, i want to be able to hit 0-60 quicker. i have 3.73's on them, and want to know what else i can do besides going with 4.10's. Also, i dont think i am getting the maximum horsepower thorugh all my mods, if i take it to a dyno, would the guys actually tune it to its peak performance with the mods i have ( CAI, 3.73's, Diablo Predator Tuner (93 octane) , flowmaster exhaust, auto, but i do slap shift often). I just want to get the most out of what I paid for and figure out how to get off the line quicker. thanks

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

I have not been to a dyno yet but I think you can have it dynoed and they can tell you what they can do for a tune after that. I was quoted about $80.00 for the dyno and the tune would be a seperate charge if I wanted it. The dyno will tell you what you have and how well or bad your car is running.

07 GT. Exterior mods n/a. Engine mods, see profile.
One of the more powerful cars around.
One of the slower cars around.
Makes me feel like a kid every time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Don't look to the dyno as the cure-all for all performance woes. I have several canned tunes that perform equally as well as my dyno tunes. The dyno is a good tool to develop a solid baseline and also to ensure safety with timing and fuel. With just a CAI and gears I don't think you'd see a substantial improvement over your existing tune (unless it's way out of whack).

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre8806 View Post
hey guys was wondering what ic an do to get the stang to get off the line much quicker than usual
I didn't see any comment in there about traction which is by far my biggest issue coming off the line...

Even before I started ripping either of the cars apart, I could not apply the power available without smoking the tires...

Addressing that requires:
1. better/wider rubber (10" rear rim)
2. Poly UCA (adjustable if you are lowered) - LCA's don't hurt either, but are less important than the UCA which is alone up there trying to keep the top of your rear axle in check...
3. Did I mention more/better rubber?
4. If you are really serious a clutch that can better handle the pain of higher RPM launches, but that generally isn't needed until you have more power...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Don't look to the dyno as the cure-all for all performance woes. I have several canned tunes that perform equally as well as my dyno tunes. The dyno is a good tool to develop a solid baseline and also to ensure safety with timing and fuel. With just a CAI and gears I don't think you'd see a substantial improvement over your existing tune (unless it's way out of whack).
Boy, Mark knows his stuff.
I may have an 88 but I would think improving the rear suspension for better traction would help out. Upper and lower control arms, bushings, tires, adjustable shocks and better springs?

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I agree... UCA will really help control the axle rotation and the stronger LCAs will also help keep things focused better on the ground as well as help maintain a straight launch.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
S197 Member

First of peak hp will not help you get off the line. That task belongs to low end torque. Secondly, with an auto trans, a good high-stall converter would have a major impact on launching. Of course, big low end torque and a good converter is useless if all you do is spin. So, you'd need to make sure all the traction components (tires, suspension) are up to it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Stop!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre8806 View Post
hey guys was wondering what ic an do to get the stang to get off the line much quicker than usual, i want to be able to hit 0-60 quicker. i have 3.73's on them, and want to know what else i can do besides going with 4.10's. Also, i dont think i am getting the maximum horsepower thorugh all my mods, if i take it to a dyno, would the guys actually tune it to its peak performance with the mods i have ( CAI, 3.73's, Diablo Predator Tuner (93 octane) , flowmaster exhaust, auto, but i do slap shift often). I just want to get the most out of what I paid for and figure out how to get off the line quicker. thanks

I basically have the same mods you do except for gears. I have found (after some suggestions) that heating up your street tires.......NOT GOOD. when you heat the radials it just makes them more slick.

I used to bring rpm up to about 1700 just before tires would start to rotate, now I only go to 1200. this way I dig instead of spin. Launching off the line is a bit more than stomping the gas at the 3rd yellow light. It's more of a finese thing. I know everything is happening fast, but you have to get in sync. Try to not go completely to the floor at launch, do that once the car starts to move. Its almost like a slow push to the floor instead of a stomp. Its hard to get used to your car and what it does in every situation, but if you want good consistant launches that is what you are going to have to do.

FOr instance, I know that when I instantly got to WOT there is about a 1/2 second before the motor actually starts to rev. that means instead of going on third yellow light, I go just befor 3rd light comes on.

It just takes practice, everyone here can tell you what to do, but until you do it over and over. you will continue to spin.

First time I took my new Stang to the track, I made about 30 consecutive launches. First r/t was 1.2, then I was started cutting .505 to .586, when I got to that point I was starting to get comfortable. Also, no matter how many times you get in a parking lot and work on launches, its just not the same as dealing with a the tree.

you can work out some of the bugs if the parking lot is asphault. Concrete may equal no spin, where as the track you may spin 20' off the line.
Hope This Helps

2014 GT Black 6R80

2006 Mustang GT Tungsten ,auto, C&L Racer, BBK LT and O/R "X", LCA's, 4.10, CDC Shaker, CMCV deltes, COmp127200 cams, PI 3000 tq con

1/8 mile 7.83 @ 89 mph
1/4 mile N/A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page