The woes of Puerto Rico - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr View Post
thats awesome...maybe i'll throw my resume and family history on afm too... but i asked lavrish, why is he there? didnt ask you...as for the everyone there coming here comment...that wasnt racist...it was an honest question...cause everyone i know from there says it sux...thats not a racist comment...unless an island qualifies as a race now...you sayin i'm prejudiced cause i question an island is as dumb as sayin i'm prejudiced cause i dont like hondas...
I'm glad that the people that think Puerto Rico 'sux' are no longer here. We are a lot better off without them. And I quoted your comment in my reply because you asked 'why go there', and I gave you a couple of reasons. "Thats not a racist comment...unless an island qualifies as a race now". Well, there is something called nationalism, and if you say "america sux" you would not be insulted, because is a country, not a race?
Now, JetBlacks comment "Sneaky Puerto Ricans, you gotta watch them" did not sound good. I bet that the phrase "sneaky mexicans, you gotta watch them" or "sneaky italians, you gotta watch them", or even "sneaky americans, you gotta watch them", in the context that it was originally said, would have offended some people.
Well, I hope this is the end of this. Let's just be brothers, fellow Mustang enthusiasts. Ok?

2002 GT Zinc Yellow Premium Edition, Borla Stinger Catback, MRT Catted H, KB 2.1L 9#, Accufab 70mm TB, FRPP 3.73 gears, SCT custom tune, street/strip valve body, Mach 1 Grille Delete/Chin Spoiler/Brake Upgrade, Bullit suspension kit, Steeda UCA/LCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

HEY - THE GUY WAS INTERESTED IN SHOULD HE BRING HIS CAR TO PUERTO RICO!!!
He did not ask for individually felt political opinion or a diatrible one feels necessary to communicate. I, as do others in these Forums have political feelings - I do not feel this Forum entertains the audience for hearing or publishing these individually held political views.
There will never be a winner, only hard feelings. Now is the time to stop.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageV8 View Post
HEY - THE GUY WAS INTERESTED IN SHOULD HE BRING HIS CAR TO PUERTO RICO!!!
He did not ask for individually felt political opinion or a diatrible one feels necessary to communicate. I, as do others in these Forums have political feelings - I do not feel this Forum entertains the audience for hearing or publishing these individually held political views.
There will never be a winner, only hard feelings. Now is the time to stop.

Amen! hehe, I just got home and saw the thread and was a bit confused how things turned this direction. I will make a few comments on what was said though.

First as an update and after many hard thoughts about the subject I have decided, and with pressure from my wife, to sell my baby, well the lesser baby...
Yes it is a sad time on the home front but I am not to worried, I know another will come soon enough. In all honesty it will be too much of a strain to fork out about almost $600 (w/ insurance) a month for the Stang and purchase another car for family. Especially at Puerto Rico prices.

I know it is so cliché for the fairly young male having to sale the sports car cause the my first child is on the way, I can not help but laugh a bit at myself.

You know what is interesting is being a newly wed, only 7 months now, and a father I have found my desires have changed a bit. I don't drive really aggressive at all, not that I did that much in the first place but there is a change in a person when they no longer are living life for themselves. Here I am only 28 and I am thinking about side impact airbags rather pure torque and HP. OMG what's happening to me.... LOL Is this what they mean by growing up?

Anyway the most beautiful car I have ever owned is going to go. I think I am going to be sports car-less till we end up coming back.

Now to answer a question I forgot to address, the reason I moved down to PR is because my wife is finishing her doctorate and I did not want to remove her from her element right towards the end of it.

Now I would like to make a few comments on Puerto Rico.

First, it is an incredibly beautiful island, truly the jewel of Caribbean. But of course this does not mean it does not have its fair share of problems just like anywhere else.

Now being born and raised here is the states of course it is much more difficult to get used to. Puerto Rico's culture and traditions are truly not American. This is obvious. NOW, and this is important, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It should not be expected to be like America, its history is totally different. Puerto Rico is not a state and probably won't be one for a good while to come and its origins are truly from Spain, yes there were Taino Indians there first but the race and culture was obliterated by the Spaniards. It is very hard to function without speaking Spanish. Many people understand English but seems very few speak it, at least outside of Old San Juan.

So for us (continental u.s.) Americans to judge Puerto Rico by our standards is really not fair. Even to this date the same families pretty much run the local governments, Spain Spanish of course, many many Spanish laws are still in effect, and there is a lot of corruption unfortunately.

Puerto Rico is a wonderful place and it is changing for the better. I know for a fact most everyone there loves America and tries to emulate our economy. Puerto Rico would fall apart if the U.S. was not there to support it and help it grow. PR gets over 18 billion a year from citizens paying federal taxes.

Now as a final comment I do hope you understand what I said is about the way of life down here, the economy as a whole not about race.

I love the island and admire its beauty constantly, people are friendly (except when driving especially women) don't ask me why I can not figure it out.

Just a few cents.

Daniel

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Oh yes, and anyone interesting in buying my baby let me know, you better treat her right..

It's going to be hard to sell her for what she's worth, the market is getting flooded right now.
nghtrnnr

okay first i'll say puerto rico sounds like a nice place...never been there myself...i just heard about it from puerto ricans in brooklyn...but i question how you can have nationalism when its not a country....

as for the car...dont they have ford dealers over there? cant you just work it out with ford where they buy back your car here and have a similar used one waiting there? seems like theyd be happy to do that...i built mine online and had it sent to the dealer of my choice...if you bought a 06 thats already there would you still have to pay shipping?
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Well I thought about that. Or even trading it in and then purchasing a new one down there through ford. The problem is there is no way to avoid excise tax, upwards of 10 grand for the GT's. Also all the dealers are independent.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrishevo View Post
Well I thought about that. Or even trading it in and then purchasing a new one down there through ford. The problem is there is no way to avoid excise tax, upwards of 10 grand for the GT's. Also all the dealers are independent.
First of all, welcome to the Island. I'm really sorry about the way we mistreated your thread!
I belong to the local chapter of the MCA (Mustang Clubs of America), and in the club there are some people that may be able to help you.
The owner of one of the largest Ford dealerships in the island is a member, and the president of the club is a used car dealer. They may be able to help you to either get your car here, or get a trade-in, or talk to someone high up in the Ford Corporation so you can have more options. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in at least going to a meeting, getting to know a lot of nice, english speaking, Mustang loving people, and have some fun in a family oriented atmosphere (and of course get to see lots of nice Stangs, from 1964 1/2 to new Saleens).
I don't want you to go Mustangless after having such a nice car!

2002 GT Zinc Yellow Premium Edition, Borla Stinger Catback, MRT Catted H, KB 2.1L 9#, Accufab 70mm TB, FRPP 3.73 gears, SCT custom tune, street/strip valve body, Mach 1 Grille Delete/Chin Spoiler/Brake Upgrade, Bullit suspension kit, Steeda UCA/LCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page