2007 Mustang GT: What RPMs to shift at? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007 Thread Starter

2007 Mustang GT: What RPMs to shift at?

Hello Mustang owners, just bought my first brand new Mustang GT. The car is great, but I also bought my first stick shift "mid life crisis I guess". Anyway just wondering if any of you members have any other suggestions on what RPM to shift the gears at. Got some good advice from a couple of members already; It probably just takes time to get the feel of the whole new change.
Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007
Snackmaster

Are you looking for mpg or speed? If you're looking for mileage then shift conservatively around 2500 or so and stay off the pedal. If you're looking for "fun" I would try shifting around 5,000 rpms to start off with. In theory, if you're trying to shift quickly around 5,000 rpm's you'll actually be shifting around 5,500 rpms by the time you do it. You'll be solid in your powerband but won't be hitting redline and killing the throttle.

Just a thought.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to myfast05
Quote:
Originally Posted by reojr1 View Post
Hello Mustang owners, just bought my first brand new Mustang GT. The car is great, but I also bought my first stick shift "mid life crisis I guess". Anyway just wondering if any of you members have any other suggestions on what RPM to shift the gears at. Got some good advice from a couple of members already; It probably just takes time to get the feel of the whole new change.
Randy
I will tell you when I got my first Stang I was pretty scared as it wasn't like the stick shift in my husbands pick up and nothing like our first car of which was 4 speed. I told the dealer back it up and I will take it from there. If I was going to drive this car I had to make my mind up and just drive it, and not even driving it much( as I was use to automatics)That week end I took it from my house to the interstate 29 in Iowa to where my husband was working in Omaha, Ne. area, it was as if I had driven it forever. I like to tell about the time I test drove my first 2005 Mustang that was an automatic, I forgot it had to be in park to start, not like the sticks.
When I thought I did something wrong to this new car, and let me tell you how stupid I felt. Once you get the feel of it ,you will know why you changed over, and wondered why you didn't before. I am a Grandma and I just love driving the stick and once in awhile do those and burn some rubber, love doing this. My daughter first said I was in my second childhood, escpecialy when I got my first Mustang convertible, now that is even more exciting, going topless. Here are my present Stangs, The black one is a 07 California Special Mustang GT and the other is 04 Mustang GT and both are stickes.
Enjoy every minute of driving you new Stang.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1193.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24987  

Life's to short to drive anything else

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Welcome and just have fun. Do not worry about going to high on the rpm the rev limiter will take over if you go above 6,200 rpm.

07 GT. Exterior mods n/a. Engine mods, see profile.
One of the more powerful cars around.
One of the slower cars around.
Makes me feel like a kid every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page