Great traction in sleet and ice. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter

Great traction in sleet and ice.

Yesterday I flew home from a business trip from Wichita to Philly. We had a major ice and sleet storm going on when I landed. Just made it under the wire. My plane was one of the last that landed before they closed the airport. I live about 40 hilly miles north west of the airport and it took me about three hours to get home. I was really surprised how well the traction control worked. I'm running the stock Pirelli tires and I drove around many front wheel drive cars trying to get up hills. The S197 is sooooo much better in snow then my previous Fox Mustang's. One thing I noticed. The traction control doesn't work in first gear. If you don't want to spin tires like crazy you need to start off in 2nd. Also the traction control is much smoother then my previous Mustangs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
GT Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Digger
Glad to hear you had a positive experience in the snow.

I've been driving my 2000 v6 in the snow since I bought it new and I've had mixed experiences. The traction control on my ride will dissengage the engine the moment either of the rear wheels spin. That just sucks on hills, or when you are trying to get out of a rut. So, I turn it off in those situations and get much better results. As soon as I'm clear, I turn it back on. It saved me when I lost it in a slippery corner a few times. It's awesome when cornering in the rain as well. You get much better control.

The road to enlightenment can be a bumpy one. The road to stupidity.....deadly.

...Bob Sintzel 2010

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

just so you no those stock pirellies are called pzero neros m+s the m+s stands for mud and snow and they are great all around tires but I had my traction controll on yesterday and made out pretty good I actually always drive with my traction controll on because it is always set to on when you start the car but if you push the button it comes off I like the peice of mind keeping it on just so it stays firmly planted on the ground.

2007 grabber orange mustang gt prem 5 speed automatic, interior upgrade package, sirus satelite radio, slp loudmouths, , 14 inch shorty antenna, 18x9 afs machined black mach1 wheels, cdc classic chin spoiler, saleen heritage rear spoiler. Agent 47 retro mirriors, bmr strut tower brace, jagger brothers splash guards. Custom painted stripes , kooks 1 5/8 long tube headers, kooks catted h pipe, steeda delete plates, c&l racer intake.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

we had about 2" of slush crap here yesterday and I had the wife's V6 and was satisfied with how well it did all in all

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I was home when the sleet and snow started. But you guys got the Pirellies but I have BFGoodrich on the polished 18"s. Are all the 18''s using the BFGs?

Glad to hear you got in under the wire and home ok. What a mess.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

acutally I put the 18" polished bullits off my GT on her pony car. they worked out fine

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

oh and they have the BFG KDW's

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
I was home when the sleet and snow started. But you guys got the Pirellies but I have BFGoodrich on the polished 18"s. Are all the 18''s using the BFGs?

Glad to hear you got in under the wire and home ok. What a mess.
I have the same BFG 18"s on mine, came with the car as an option.

Snow............... what is that ?
My car never seen rain, in its life Born aug 06.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zmanm3
Hmm, it is good to know that I have that ability if needed, but I doubt that I will ever drive my car in the snow or ice as I have a 4 wheel dirve Avalanch for that it and it does outstanding in the snow, ice, and mud trails.

05 - Zeon body kit, Saleen S/C, 3.6" pully, 90mm MAF, L/T Heders, Catted X-Pipe, Saleen Race Craft suspension, Axel brace, Pan hard bar. More to come this spring from my friends at PMP and Larry H.
65 - Street force coil over front suspension, Wilwood disk breaks at all 4 wheels, More construction in progress! More to come this spring from Simons Auto & Restoration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page