2005 GT California Dream Ram Air hood pins, need opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
2005 GT California Dream Ram Air hood pins, need opinions

Okay, thanks to kj_cinci and dogstar, I have decided on the location of my much needed hood pins fo rmy California Dream Ram Air hood. I am going with the far corners. In fact, to borrow kj's idea, I am planning on replacing the stock rubber hood storps for the hood pins.

Now here is where I need your opinions. I am not sure which style of hood pins to go for. I like the old school look of the classic hood pins; but I do not care for the cables that go with them or the fact that the security of the classic pins stands to be desired. On the other hand, I also like really like the idea of locking the hood pins with a key, plus not having the extra four screws to screw into my hood; but do not care for the overall look of the key-type hoodpins. What do you guys (and dolls) think.

Since I have asked for opinions, I can handle all opinion, positive and negative alike. That is part of asking for opinions on a public fourms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

I would go with the key type - I never liked the cables on a street car - always looked trashy to me - kind of like those old braces they had when we were kids with the damn cage that wrapped around your head.

I saw the CA dream hood with the key pins which were located in the indentations where the scoops are. I liked that since they really were not too noticeable because they did not break up the rest of the smooth hood surface. Wish I could find the picture, it looked really good.

FWIW

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Never saw the key type other then the old school ones with small pad locks on them. If the tumblers get wet, which is probable not going to happen to you but in anycase will get tough to unlock over time.

I'd go old school. After drilling the holes for the pins, 8 small holes are nothing. You can either go with the cables or not. I had a '70 Maverick that had 4 hood pins to hold the hood on, and never lost any of them.

Which ever way you go I know the car will look great.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I agree with travelers. you are already drilling one big hold in each side of your hood. You may as well drill 8 smaller ones and get the classic pins. then, use the cables or not. your call.
I have always like the look of the cables but I can see where it may rub in high winds.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007
S197 Member

Holes next to the bumpers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dream 017.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	25381  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

I'm with you sandyman. That's where I put mine. I also remember seeing some flush mount pins that you could get with the option of locking pins or not. I really liked them but thought they were too pricey. $100 I think.

Colton - 06 GT Redfire
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
When using the old school, original hood pins, what part of the hood pins actually hold the hood down? I know on the key type hood pins, the locks that are attached to the hood, latch on to the studs, which are attached to car. Just curious. I personally do not like the hood pins at all, but since I need them to hold down the hood, I want them to do just that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page