If I Am Going To Buy A Mustang In America, And Get It Modded, How Should I Proceed?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007 Thread Starter
Classic Member
S197 Member

If I Am Going To Buy A Mustang In America, And Get It Modded, How Should I Proceed??

Hello again all.

Suppose I want to buy a Ford Mustang. I travel to the US, and I buy one...probably a V6 as things stand.

However, I want to get this motor modified, and by modified I mean:

Forced Induction
Suspension
Chassis Stiffening
Bodykit+Styling {Including full respray and hood}
Internal Electrics {Gauges}
Sunroof
Brakes
Alloys {what brakes will fit 20" alloys?}

Ok, so I have this car, and we are assuming that I am East Coast of the USA, Boston to be specific {Uncle lives there, Hingham to be precise}

How do I go about getting everything done?

Is there a particular order in which I should get everything done?

Do I buy the parts myself, and get a garage to fit them?

Or do I order parts thru a garage? Is that cheaper? Is it faster?

How long do parts take to arrive? Considering the above list, are we talking a long time to get this done? I know some body kits etc may take a long time to ship.

Or, is it better to buy the parts myself, and have separate people fit them, moving from place to place as the job is done?

Should things like the bodykit/respray be left till last.??

If I find a garage that will supply the parts at a discount, should I insist that they go about it in a particular order? That is to say, fit the Induction, do a tune, then a dyno tune,....etc.

Obviously, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, so I would be wanting to get it right straight off. Of course, seeing as the car is going to be heavily modded, it would be wise to buy the cheapest possible V6 when I get to America. How would I do that? A dealer, or private seller?

Thanks for your help.

TK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007
S197 Member

I am sure there are quite a few members here that could advise you on the parts and order of installation. When I read your post, I was wondering why you would not contact Lillis O'Donnell and let them price and advise you, in additon to a dealer here in the States.
When and if you would get the car to Dublin, I am sure you would want to be sure you had someone to fix it and warrantee it. If it were not a dealer, than an individual familiar with your intentions and the products you wish installed. I also believe you are looking at an expensive proposition, but as you say - it is a once in a lifetime thing.
I can imagine a decision such as this will take many a Guiness and thoughts at the Cliffs of Mohr.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007 Thread Starter
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageV8 View Post
I am sure there are quite a few members here that could advise you on the parts and order of installation. When I read your post, I was wondering why you would not contact Lillis O'Donnell and let them price and advise you, in additon to a dealer here in the States.
When and if you would get the car to Dublin, I am sure you would want to be sure you had someone to fix it and warrantee it. If it were not a dealer, than an individual familiar with your intentions and the products you wish installed. I also believe you are looking at an expensive proposition, but as you say - it is a once in a lifetime thing.
I can imagine a decision such as this will take many a Guiness and thoughts at the Cliffs of Mohr.

It is expensive, maybe as expensive as $35,000. But they are trying to sell 1999 V6's over here for 20,000 as it stands. No mods, no nothing.

The point about the guarantee is valid. What I will be doing is LEAVING the car in America with my Uncle for 1 month. He will put it thru its paces. Any problems....then whoever is responsible will get a call.

By that same token, a car bought in Ireland may not come with a warrantee anyways, so that has to be considered too. And there is no way I can get the parts as easy or as cheap, and there is no way I can get the same level of expertise over here as I would in America, where there is both competition and expertise.

As for Lillis....I am trying to keep prices down. Lillis could bring a V6 into the country but why bother? They will need to be paid too. further, they will only warantee a STOCK V6. Once I take it apart, there goes the warantee and I'm back to the old problem of finding someone in Ireland that can get the parts and know how to install them.

Not a problem I will have in America.:punchballs:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007 Thread Starter
Classic Member
S197 Member

Ok...its simple:

DO I buy the parts and take them to a garage for fitting, or do I go to the garage and just get them to order and fit.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007

Why not buy second hand in the UK? You can get a tidy 05 V6 for about 14K.

Do you have to add import duty etc if bought in the UK?

There's plenty of places that deal with US cars in England for getting parts fitted. Only a few hours on the ferry and much closer than the US if you have a problem with them.

You're stuffed when it comes to the Ford warrantee and ones sold by dealers are usually crap. There's a fair few 05's in the UK now and most have had very few problems. The conversion work on the lights has caused most headaches but go to a decent company and you should be fine.

Loads of info on importing to the UK which may be of use on the Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain Forums. Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain - Powered by vBulletin

I know you're in Ireland but it may be useful.

By the way, why V6? In the UK you could pick up a second hand V8 for maybe only 2K more than a V6.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007 Thread Starter
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
Why not buy second hand in the UK? You can get a tidy 05 V6 for about 14K.

Do you have to add import duty etc if bought in the UK?

There's plenty of places that deal with US cars in England for getting parts fitted. Only a few hours on the ferry and much closer than the US if you have a problem with them.

You're stuffed when it comes to the Ford warrantee and ones sold by dealers are usually crap. There's a fair few 05's in the UK now and most have had very few problems. The conversion work on the lights has caused most headaches but go to a decent company and you should be fine.

Loads of info on importing to the UK which may be of use on the Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain Forums. Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain - Powered by vBulletin

I know you're in Ireland but it may be useful.

By the way, why V6? In the UK you could pick up a second hand V8 for maybe only 2K more than a V6.

Yeah...I have to pay VRT and Import on that. Plus 14stg =20,000 and that doesn't include the subsequent tax, VRT, no modifications.....and I'm still 20,000 in the hole!! You are effectively being taxed twice: 1st time for USA-England, 2nd time for England-Ireland.

Probably get a better choice of car in America, for less. Put the time and effort in myself and I'll save save save. Then I suppose I could use England for mods.

Thanks anyway Benny.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

just curiuos, but how much is it gonna cost you to get the car back to Ireland? while you're here you should try and find a used GT probably around $25K OTD...

funny coincidence- i too have an uncle living in Boston.

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007 Thread Starter
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphasagt View Post
just curiuos, but how much is it gonna cost you to get the car back to Ireland? while you're here you should try and find a used GT probably around $25K OTD...

funny coincidence- i too have an uncle living in Boston.
Shipping,shipping usually costs around $1200 for a Ricer from Japland to Ireland, so similar figures for a vehicle from Bawston to Ireland, I'm figuring.

The plan is still in its earliest of stages, so I'm trying to get huge databases of information built up so that it goes smooth as possible.

PS V8 out of my range, $25,000 for a V8 but as low as $17000 for the V6. $25,000 is oh-so-reasonable for a V8GT but my budget is tight,I'm afraid.

Plus, more expensive car= more taxes, VRT, import duties, insurance...you get my drift {ha ha}

I'm even thinking of just dropping the whole turbo thing and settling for a cold air intake and 95 octane tune. Anybody have any suggestion vis a vis a better/more complete routine for getting power from a nat.aspirated 4.0 V6?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007
Apprentice
S197 Member

Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Cavalry View Post
Shipping,shipping usually costs around $1200 for a Ricer from Japland to Ireland, so similar figures for a vehicle from Bawston to Ireland, I'm figuring.

The plan is still in its earliest of stages, so I'm trying to get huge databases of information built up so that it goes smooth as possible.

PS V8 out of my range, $25,000 for a V8 but as low as $17000 for the V6. $25,000 is oh-so-reasonable for a V8GT but my budget is tight,I'm afraid.

Plus, more expensive car= more taxes, VRT, import duties, insurance...you get my drift {ha ha}

I'm even thinking of just dropping the whole turbo thing and settling for a cold air intake and 95 octane tune. Anybody have any suggestion vis a vis a better/more complete routine for getting power from a nat.aspirated 4.0 V6?

Hello in Dublin, I was across the water in Scotland a few years ago, and I really like your piece of the world. I was told Ireland and Scotland look a lot alike. I know what you said about the extra cost of a Mustang GT, but honestly if you have the means to buy a car here, and ship it home and do major modifications either after your home or prior to leaving the states, would not a Mustang GT be much more cost effective, not to mention far FAR more powerfull and better handling in stock form than a V6.

In any case, Im just glad to hear Mustangs roam the roads of Ireland.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007 Thread Starter
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Hello in Dublin, I was across the water in Scotland a few years ago, and I really like your piece of the world. I was told Ireland and Scotland look a lot alike. I know what you said about the extra cost of a Mustang GT, but honestly if you have the means to buy a car here, and ship it home and do major modifications either after your home or prior to leaving the states, would not a Mustang GT be much more cost effective, not to mention far FAR more powerfull and better handling in stock form than a V6.

In any case, Im just glad to hear Mustangs roam the roads of Ireland.
Thanks for your compliments, and yes, you are right, a Stock GT would be very powerful and have better handling. However, the figures don't lie. The GT is a minimum of $5000 more expensive to begin with. The Government takes 10% of the combined shipping+invoice price as a CUSTOMS TAX. That comes out, for a $25000 Gt at around $2,600. Already we are up to $28,600. Then 25% of the Invoice for Vehicle Registration Tax, aka VRT. Thats another $5000. Then shipping itself, call it $1000. Already we are up to $34,600 dollars. Then road tax, insurance, some basic mods....$40,000.

GT Member
S197 Member

is the American Dollar worth more or less than the Irish (currency?) ??

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphasagt View Post
is the American Dollar worth more or less than the Irish (currency?) ??
Howdy.. Three years ago, when I was in Scotland our Dollar was worth about 1/2 what it was here. I remember a 20 Pound cab ride cost me $50.00 US with tip. Im so un - worldly ! Would not the Pound be worth near twice as much here?

Im an idiot..
Apprentice
S197 Member

I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Cavalry View Post
Thanks for your compliments, and yes, you are right, a Stock GT would be very powerful and have better handling. However, the figures don't lie. The GT is a minimum of $5000 more expensive to begin with. The Government takes 10% of the combined shipping+invoice price as a CUSTOMS TAX. That comes out, for a $25000 Gt at around $2,600. Already we are up to $28,600. Then 25% of the Invoice for Vehicle Registration Tax, aka VRT. Thats another $5000. Then shipping itself, call it $1000. Already we are up to $34,600 dollars. Then road tax, insurance, some basic mods....$40,000.

Wow, well I can now appreciate your thoughts on this. My 07 GT with every available option but heated seats which in Texas are not needed, was $29.000 and change. Might as well say $30.000. I have friends in Australia that I have sent motorcycle parts too and they have saved thousands over time.

Is it possible that we here could aquire and send to you at least SOME of the goodies? Would this allow you to save some money and spend it on your modifications instead?

For instance a C&L Cold Air Intake and a SCTXcal 2 tuner can be boxed up and sent your way easy, and there is little weight. In the GT I managed a bit over 35 horsepower at the rear wheels with this set up using 93 octane gas. The V6 should be as impressive. Three tunes were in the tuner from Brenspeed.com made for my car an 87 a 91 and a 93 octane. 93 octane being the mean tune!

There is not a single modification you can make for the money to match the power and torque this will for you. And to beat that, gas mileage goes up considerably because the engine is just that much more effeciant.

Please by all means keep us posted here as to your progress and of course pictures will be greatly appreciated sir. Take care partner, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page