Good deal on turbo kit - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT View Post
Another good reason to get the TS if the bottom end isn't built up.
I wonder how they actually get that to work...? I mean... the pulley is spinning, therefore one would reasonably think that you would get some sort of boost all the time. (I'm not disagreeing with you here - I know that you know your stuff and more than likely have a boost gauge)
bypass valve in the S/C serves the same function as a BOV/Wastegate on a turbo... lets the "boost" blow out and the engine runs basically as if it were N/A until you really open it up...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Do all blowers have this capability - I'm assuming they do...?

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Do all blowers have this capability - I'm assuming they do...?
Saleen, Whipple, KB all have a similar internal machanism...

Vortech, Paxton, Procharger as I undertand use something similar to if not identical to a turbo setup to release pressure prior to blowing it into the engine under low "load"...

Short answer - yes...

They really have to or the engine would not idle...

PONY Member
S197 Member

Sorry, I was offering a kidney for sale so I could buy the turbo. I think it's an unbelievably good deal

But I think my liver is way to bad off to sell.....Doc said it smells like Wild Turkey.:hihi:

2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd, IUP, ICAP, bullits, active alarm, lug locks, side a!rbags, shaker 500, XM Roady 2, JLT cold air, Xcal2 w/ SCT 93 oct tune, & custom fab'd ram air duct, BMR Sway Bars, Hurst Competition plus shifter
Custom blackout on hood and trunk with Steeda street wing and Ford Racing hood pins
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekim View Post
Saleen, Whipple, KB all have a similar internal machanism...

Vortech, Paxton, Procharger as I undertand use something similar to if not identical to a turbo setup to release pressure prior to blowing it into the engine under low "load"...

Short answer - yes...

They really have to or the engine would not idle...
Thanks for the insight. I wanted to go with a Kb soon after the garage queen is paid off (my long term hobby/project car), but then felt turbo would be more unique and really gave more power @ a given psi. The idler pulley issue with the KB concerns me as well. Heck - I may end up chucking the entire motor and going with a 5.4L engine or something crazy. Until I get serious about modding I'm sticking with small bolt ons etc. BUT, if I was 100% sold on either system I could get headers, etc in the meantime. BUT - I refuse to spend $1000+ on headers when they will be of no use if I go turbo.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
BUT - I refuse to spend $1000+ on headers when they will be of no use if I go turbo.
Headers are pretty low on my priority list - not only for the turbo issue, but bang for buck in general is pretty low and the gain gets lost in the noise with the blower...

Turbo vs blower in the < 500 range IMO is largely a wash...

Blower is easier to deal with emissions (well, actually make that "possible at all" depending on where you live)...

Belt issues come in at ~500RWHP with blowers - there are "solutions" depending on which kit, but it never relly goes away as an issue - it just can be kept to a "dull roar" and gets progressively more difficult as you go up in power (note that NHRA guys are still throwing/shredding belts).

> 500RHWP turbo is easier to work with in terms of belts and power, but as Mark can tell you, it comes with its own issues (spool and heat removal)...

I am crossing my fingers that I won't re-demonstrate Mark's findings by going TT instead of "one giant" turbo - but even though there are 2 smaller turbos, I still have 122mm of turbo to fill up - so we shall see...

I am anticipating some heat issues, but I have it a little easier up here climnate-wise and no auto trans cooler to contend with...
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Cekim - are you going full custom?? OR Squires turbo???

And I guess that reiterates that I will eventually go turbo. I do want to be ~600 rwhp when it's all said and done. PLUS - no other forced induction can compare to the TQ provided by a turbo, which is what it's all about. Hp is usually a bigger # (N/A & TS), but the "go" is in the TQ, from what I've read.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Cekim - are you going full custom?? OR Squires turbo???

And I guess that reiterates that I will eventually go turbo. I do want to be ~600 rwhp when it's all said and done. PLUS - no other forced induction can compare to the TQ provided by a turbo, which is what it's all about. Hp is usually a bigger # (N/A & TS), but the "go" is in the TQ, from what I've read.
THP (TurboHorsePower) for the turbos...

TS give you more DailyDriver fun torque IMO - Turbo's depending on your setup can feel a bit more like nitrous rather than a broad pull everywhere in the band, its more of a kick than a pull...

I think you'll find that 500RWHP does just dandy for most purposes... Its a handfull on the street - traction is never very good....
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
TS give you more DailyDriver fun torque IMO - Turbo's depending on your setup can feel a bit more like nitrous rather than a broad pull everywhere in the band, its more of a kick than a pull...
Makes sense... this is one of reasons I personally feel it's more streetable; has to spool a bit; albeit it spools quickly.

Quote:
I think you'll find that 500RWHP does just dandy for most purposes... Its a handfull on the street - traction is never very good....
VERY true - I have trouble hooking up with just a CAI sometime when getting on it, when on the street.

Both set ups will allow me to "grow" with it, I guess I like the uniqueness of the turbo - seems very few american cars are turbo'ed.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

S197 Member

Quote:
The idler pulley issue with the KB concerns me as well.
Get something better than the stock Ford tensioner in there, and it's not a big deal. In 10,000 miles and 375 track runs, I've broken two belts... I can live with that.

Quote:
Amen to that...
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_w View Post
Get something better than the stock Ford tensioner in there, and it's not a big deal. In 10,000 miles and 375 track runs, I've broken two belts... I can live with that.
I guess as long as you always have a spare...

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

S197 Member

Quote:
I guess as long as you always have a spare...
I always do.

BTW... with an electric water pump, you can actually drive it quite a ways without a belt if you absolutely need too.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_w View Post
I always do.

BTW... with an electric water pump, you can actually drive it quite a ways without a belt if you absolutely need too.
I was unaware of that - but thinking about it - makes sense now...

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zmanm3
CK, I just noticed your licence plate in that picture, I got a good chuckle from it.

05 - Zeon body kit, Saleen S/C, 3.6" pully, 90mm MAF, L/T Heders, Catted X-Pipe, Saleen Race Craft suspension, Axel brace, Pan hard bar. More to come this spring from my friends at PMP and Larry H.
65 - Street force coil over front suspension, Wilwood disk breaks at all 4 wheels, More construction in progress! More to come this spring from Simons Auto & Restoration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page