Mustang "Performance Chip?" - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mustang "Performance Chip?"

Hey guys, was browsing Ebay and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...spagenameZWDVW

My question is; are they serious? Does this "chip" really actually do anything?

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You know, in the sport compact market these chips were notoriously known for adding 50 horsepower at the front wheels and giving most rides an additional 45 foot pounds of torque. Combined with Type-R and VTech stickers, most compacts could go from 0 - 60 in under 5 seconds.

Actually, what you are buying (if you decided to buy) is a common computer chip that can be purchased from Radio Shack for like $2 - $3. It does absolutely nothing for your car and doesn't increase the performance of anything. There's a greater chance you would damage your car by installing it than the chance you would get anything beneficial out of it.

In my opinion, if you love your Mustang (as I know you do) stay away from it.

For Play: 2011 Ford Mustang v6 Premium Coupe w/Pony Package. Stock...for now.

For Work: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. The fun daily driver.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you are interested in a "plug in" type chip, I believe JET sells one for the V6. I had one briefly in my V8 and it did improve the throttle response and mid range power...Just FYI

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Wouldn't recommend any performance chip. They allow for no adjustability or flexibility should you add any performance mods later. Go with a handheld tuner.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Based on the flexibility and availability of great custom tunes (BAMAAAAAAAAAAAACHIPS!) I already have my heart set on a handheld tuner (X-Cal to be exact)

I had just seen this and wondered if it actually DID anything. Based on the price I would have been willing to buy one for testing purposes BUT - I was worried about damaging my car in the process (which I am NOT willing to do) Thanks again guys

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page