Can i get an opinion on radar detectors? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Defeat Laser . . . sort of

Drive an all black wedge shaped car with retractable headlights and no front plates. It will buy you some distance.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Drive an all black wedge shaped car with retractable headlights and no front plates. It will buy you some distance.
I've got the Passport 8500 and it does detect laser. I was hit with one and it picked it up. Now the only thing about the laser is it's more precise and the cops usually aim for your front license plate. Very little scatter so unless they point it at your windshield your detector may not signal.

Also something I learned is if you are the only one on the road don't speed because if you get a signal it's too late. I was driving a stretch of highway 34 in sw NE last summer and on this particular stretch I know a state trooper drives the opposite direction in the afternoon. I picked up a signal as I crested a hill and knew to slow quick, sure enough he was coming the other direction. As we passed he gave me a wave like "Almost had you". Saved a ticket because I wasn't doing Mach 7 and was able to take off some speed fast. Another time I was driving down the 2 lane highway and had an SUV pass me he was moving at a pretty good clip ( about 90 in 65). I let him get about 1/2 mile up and them I stabbed the go fast pedal and kept pace with him. If he was hit with radar then I would know it and be able to slow down.

here's a website I found for some info
http://www.speedzones.com/

also
http://www.radartest.com/

06 GT Legend Lime, Konig Beyonds, Hurst, JBA, Steeda stuff, MAC CAI, Sniper tuned, LT's, catted H pipe, VIS Racing CF heat extractor hood, Tokico D-Specs, Silver Horse Racing, LLR #0174

08 GT Performance White, Konig Beyonds, Legend Lime accents.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger View Post
I've got the Passport 8500 and it does detect laser. I was hit with one and it picked it up. Now the only thing about the laser is it's more precise and the cops usually aim for your front license plate. Very little scatter so unless they point it at your windshield your detector may not signal.

Also something I learned is if you are the only one on the road don't speed because if you get a signal it's too late. I was driving a stretch of highway 34 in sw NE last summer and on this particular stretch I know a state trooper drives the opposite direction in the afternoon. I picked up a signal as I crested a hill and knew to slow quick, sure enough he was coming the other direction. As we passed he gave me a wave like "Almost had you". Saved a ticket because I wasn't doing Mach 7 and was able to take off some speed fast. Another time I was driving down the 2 lane highway and had an SUV pass me he was moving at a pretty good clip ( about 90 in 65). I let him get about 1/2 mile up and them I stabbed the go fast pedal and kept pace with him. If he was hit with radar then I would know it and be able to slow down.

here's a website I found for some info
http://www.speedzones.com/

also
http://www.radartest.com/

Radar detectors are not a bad investment but after learning the hard way that they have marginal effectiveness against pop radar and almost no protection against LIDAR I s*** canned my detectors completely.

I now treat front/rear plates and all lenses on all my cars with VEIL to handle laser and I bought a good digital scanner that I transfer to whatever car I'm driving.

In my area 5 of the ten closets jurisdictions run laser only and all but one jurisdiction uses unencrypted radio communiactions.

VEIL is a paint-on covering that is highly effective against laser. I can attest that it pisses the cops off because they will track my car until I get within a couple hundred feet when they get a reading. The only problem with VEIL is it tends to wash off after a while and you need to reapply it.

The scanner is a top of the line Bearcat that picks up Analog and Digital frequencies, but not the APCO 25 encrypted frequencies.
Wichita Falls PD is the only police agency in my area that is encrypted and I simply keep an open eye out and my speed reasonable. Having used the scanner for years it is very simple to tell who is where and what is going on. It isnt uncommon for me to slow down well in advance of someone equipped with a detector. I have station to car, and car to car frequencies loaded for every agency in a 300 mile radius.

Obviously the scanner has limited use if someone does a lot of driving outside their normal driving areas because you'ld spend all day googling police frequencies and loading them into the scanner, but if you do local driving a scanner can be a benefit.

Everyone does what they feel is best and for me its treat the reflective areas with VEIL and use a scanner, and for many its using a radar/laser detector.

GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Radar detectors are not a bad investment but after learning the hard way that they have marginal effectiveness against pop radar and almost no protection against LIDAR I s*** canned my detectors completely.

I now treat front/rear plates and all lenses on all my cars with VEIL to handle laser and I bought a good digital scanner that I transfer to whatever car I'm driving.

In my area 5 of the ten closets jurisdictions run laser only and all but one jurisdiction uses unencrypted radio communiactions.

VEIL is a paint-on covering that is highly effective against laser. I can attest that it pisses the cops off because they will track my car until I get within a couple hundred feet when they get a reading. The only problem with VEIL is it tends to wash off after a while and you need to reapply it.

The scanner is a top of the line Bearcat that picks up Analog and Digital frequencies, but not the APCO 25 encrypted frequencies.
Wichita Falls PD is the only police agency in my area that is encrypted and I simply keep an open eye out and my speed reasonable. Having used the scanner for years it is very simple to tell who is where and what is going on. It isnt uncommon for me to slow down well in advance of someone equipped with a detector. I have station to car, and car to car frequencies loaded for every agency in a 300 mile radius.

Obviously the scanner has limited use if someone does a lot of driving outside their normal driving areas because you'ld spend all day googling police frequencies and loading them into the scanner, but if you do local driving a scanner can be a benefit.

Everyone does what they feel is best and for me its treat the reflective areas with VEIL and use a scanner, and for many its using a radar/laser detector.
That is a crapload of stuff to go through just so you can speed, haha. Interesting read, though.

*1998 Ford Contour SVT* EH 2.5L Duratec v6
Stock as can be, just trying to reverse the damage the previous owner caused.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally05 View Post
That is a crapload of stuff to go through just so you can speed, haha. Interesting read, though.
Yep, it is a load of stuff to go through.

There are three kinds of drivers. Drivers that have not been ticketed. Drivers that have been ticketed. And drivers that are going to be ticketed again. I've done blown through first two categories and dont plan on falling into the last.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page